Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Roombas

Making your money go further
superFoolish
Lemon Slice

Roombas

Postby superFoolish » November 7th, 2016, 1:07 am

My Roomba's battery has died after five and half years. This seems a pretty reasonable lifespan to me. I have a suspicion that, for whatever reason, the scheduler was not working, so it's been sitting idle for a few weeks, which is not good for NiMH batteries.

I'm not sure if it's possible to bring them back to life (NiMH CPR?). I have seen instructions on how to build a replacement battery-pack with discrete batteries, rather than buy the official one, so I might investigate.

We've already had a mention of breadmakers, and I thought it important to keep up the tradition by mentioning Roombas too.

P.S. I like being able to preview and edit on the same screen.

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Re: Roombas

Postby NomoneyNohoney » November 7th, 2016, 1:18 am

I just like how you've posted from the future!

superFoolish
Lemon Slice

Postby superFoolish » November 7th, 2016, 7:42 am

I just like how you've posted from the future!

Oh no; the game is up!

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 7th, 2016, 1:12 pm

superFoolish wrote:My Roomba's battery has died after five and half years. This seems a pretty reasonable lifespan to me. I have a suspicion that, for whatever reason, the scheduler was not working, so it's been sitting idle for a few weeks, which is not good for NiMH batteries.

We've had exactly the same experience. Roomba (and Scooba) need to be used with some regularity. They're the kind of appliance that goes wrong more through non-use then use.

Rather than perform life support on these kind of failures, we've rang customer service and both times they sent us a new product at a significant discount. Worth ringing the manufacturer if you haven't already.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”