Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Data Warning

Making your money go further
taken2often
Lemon Slice

Data Warning

Postby taken2often » November 29th, 2021, 5:26 pm

It appears that Government, Local Authorities The Post Office and large and perhaps small businesses are sub contracting their Identification requirements to private companies. I have come accross two where I amsupposed to send these organisations my very personal information and in some cases a photograph. So that I can continue to deal with organisations that I have dealings with for 15/20 years. Who now want to confirm my identity.

It seems that many young people are signing up to obtain this form of ID.

Why any organisation would allow access to their clients data is strange to say the least.

Try trust Pilots evaluation of these two HooYu and Yoti no doubt there are others

Bob

XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Data Warning

Postby XFool » November 29th, 2021, 6:26 pm

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » November 29th, 2021, 6:52 pm

XFool wrote:This sounds like/similar to the GOV.UK Verify system.

In one of its earlier forms, it didn't work terribly well if the following applied
(a) you had a mobile phone too old to have been updated with later versions of Android
(b) you had a paper driving license
(c) your credit cards each had variations on your name.

At around the same time, the HMRC tax site didn't have problems tying a login to a tax account, nor did the credit agencies in matching credit card balances to the same individual.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 29th, 2021, 7:26 pm

Alaric wrote:In one of its earlier forms, it didn't work terribly well if the following applied
(a) you had a mobile phone too old to have been updated with later versions of Android
(b) you had a paper driving license
(c) your credit cards each had variations on your name.

At around the same time, the HMRC tax site didn't have problems tying a login to a tax account, nor did the credit agencies in matching credit card balances to the same individual.

It wouldn't work for me when first I tried to access the new Personal Tax Account. Some while later, I noticed a post by PinkDalek saying you could now logon via Government Gateway. As I still had ancient GG credentials I tried and it worked, this is what I have used ever since.

Like the OP, I was anyway not that enamoured of having to use various commercial companies for my ID verification.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » November 30th, 2021, 8:51 pm

I submit my tax returns using Government Gateway. I have not encountered GOV.UK Verify. Is Government Gateway always offered as an alternative to GOV.UK Verify?

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 30th, 2021, 10:38 pm

GeoffF100 wrote:I have not encountered GOV.UK Verify. Is Government Gateway always offered as an alternative to GOV.UK Verify?

AFAIK, but I am not certain. But can you now apply for GG credentials? I suspect not and users would now have to apply via GOV.UK Verify.

That reminds me. Did we ever get to the bottom of this? : viewtopic.php?p=372961#p372961

Return to “Living Below Your Means”