Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Amazon Grrr...

Making your money go further
PeterGreenhill

Re: Amazon Grrr...

Postby PeterGreenhill » August 12th, 2022, 1:14 pm

Amazon is great. I just renewed Prime for a year, locking into current rates before they increase. Free deliveries and a lot of free entertainment on Prime Video. What is not to like?

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » August 12th, 2022, 2:33 pm

PeterGreenhill wrote:Amazon is great. I just renewed Prime for a year, locking into current rates before they increase. Free deliveries and a lot of free entertainment on Prime Video. What is not to like?

I get free deliveries without paying for Prime. Just make a mental list of a few non-perishables you'll need on a semi-regular basis. When you need to buy something, add a couple of these items in to get to £20, and bingo no delivery charge.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » August 12th, 2022, 2:43 pm

MrFoolish wrote:
PeterGreenhill wrote:Amazon is great. I just renewed Prime for a year, locking into current rates before they increase. Free deliveries and a lot of free entertainment on Prime Video. What is not to like?

I get free deliveries without paying for Prime. Just make a mental list of a few non-perishables you'll need on a semi-regular basis. When you need to buy something, add a couple of these items in to get to £20, and bingo no delivery charge.

Or go for click-and-collect, which in my case means from either a local convenience store 5 minutes walk away or the local post office 8 minutes away, both of which I pass regularly anyway.

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Re: Amazon and Hermes Grrr...

Postby Maroochydore » August 12th, 2022, 6:01 pm

88V8 wrote:Then they used Hermes, the UK's crappiest courier, to deliver it here where the guy left the £200 parcel by our postbox in the lane because he couldn't be bothered to walk 30ft up the drive to our safe shed.

Not quite the same but I ordered PVR to replace my dead Humax. They said delivery Friday. Cost £168.

I was going out for the day on preceding Wednesday when I got an e-mail saying Amazon themselves were going to deliver it that day. Too late to change delivery online so I used their notification e-mail which offered the option to state an alternative if I wasn't in. Either leave with a neighbour, enter neighbour's name and house number or leave in a safe place, with various options, none of which were secure.

So I opted to leave with neighbour. I got home sometime after 10pm and there it was sitting on my doorstep, partially tucked behind a plant pot but fully visible from the pavement. It was delivered at 1.20 that afternoon.

Amazon do not have the facility to have a moan apart from either a phone call with a customer service agent in the Philippines or a chat bot. both a waste of time from previous experiences. I thought about winding them up with a non-delivery e-mail and putting that I had actually received it but in the end couldn't be bothered.

Off topic but found out Humax no longer manufacture Freesat boxes, just Freeview. Freesat's new chosen supplier for Freesat boxes are diabolical according to online reviews. If thinking of buying one do your own detailed research!

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 13th, 2022, 1:59 am

I use Prime and my only concern is/was that I noticed every Amazon package I received until about three weeks ago had been slyly, carefully and surreptitiously previously opened. This has been going on for a couple of years.

One package arrived with the content actually missing so I rang customer services to tell them about it. The foreign person I spoke to was not in the slightest bit interested in my information that every package arrives pre-opened, they just wanted to give me a refund as fast as possible and get me off the phone. Very disappointing. I was hoping to get the package pre-opening stopped.

Nothing more was ever again missing as I only ever buy what must appear like esoteric junk to the thief, but the pre-opening of my packages stopped about three weeks ago. So I guess they did actually do something about it eventually.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » August 13th, 2022, 8:14 am

Mike4 wrote:I use Prime and my only concern is/was that I noticed every Amazon package I received until about three weeks ago had been slyly, carefully and surreptitiously previously opened. This has been going on for a couple of years.

Must say that that is surprisng, none of mine have ever been tampered with
good to hear it has been sorted out though

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » August 16th, 2022, 9:22 am

Mike4 wrote:Nothing more was ever again missing as I only ever buy what must appear like esoteric junk to the thief, but the pre-opening of my packages stopped about three weeks ago. So I guess they did actually do something about it eventually.

Or the perpetrator moved jobs normally.

end result a winner for you whatever ;-)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 16th, 2022, 3:08 pm

Mike4 wrote:Nothing more was ever again missing as I only ever buy what must appear like esoteric junk to the thief, but the pre-opening of my packages stopped about three weeks ago. So I guess they did actually do something about it eventually.

[/quote]
Every Amazon distribution centre has dozens/hundreds of different people working at any one time, so why were they all picking on you? :? The only explanation I can think of is that your delivery driver (or his local base) is/was on the make. I've had parcel-tampering at my local main post office, but I've never had any probs like that with Amazon, and it must be 200 purchases now.

BJ

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 16th, 2022, 7:20 pm

bungeejumper wrote:

Every Amazon distribution centre has dozens/hundreds of different people working at any one time, so why were they all picking on you? :? The only explanation I can think of is that your delivery driver (or his local base) is/was on the make. I've had parcel-tampering at my local main post office, but I've never had any probs like that with Amazon, and it must be 200 purchases now.

BJ[/quote]

Yes this was my conclusion too, for the same reasons. But even then it must have been only my parcels, as a driver would surely not have time to be intruding carefully into every parcel in his van, every day.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 16th, 2022, 10:49 pm

Mike4 wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:

BJ

Yes this was my conclusion too, for the same reasons. But even then it must have been only my parcels, as a driver would surely not have time to be intruding carefully into every parcel in his van, every day.

You could be on some gubmint or organization list and being surveilled?
Have you been posting dissent online?

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » August 17th, 2022, 12:12 pm

Mike4 wrote:I use Prime and my only concern is/was that I noticed every Amazon package I received until about three weeks ago had been slyly, carefully and surreptitiously previously opened. This has been going on for a couple of years.

One package arrived with the content actually missing so I rang customer services to tell them about it. The foreign person I spoke to was not in the slightest bit interested in my information that every package arrives pre-opened, they just wanted to give me a refund as fast as possible and get me off the phone. Very disappointing. I was hoping to get the package pre-opening stopped.

Nothing more was ever again missing as I only ever buy what must appear like esoteric junk to the thief, but the pre-opening of my packages stopped about three weeks ago. So I guess they did actually do something about it eventually.

If the packages are sent from abroad as is often the case with Amazon, then it could have been customs checking the contents.

But why would customs be checking every package? Perhaps you were on the list :shock:

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 17th, 2022, 7:49 pm

Lanark wrote:

If the packages are sent from abroad as is often the case with Amazon, then it could have been customs checking the contents.

But why would customs be checking every package? Perhaps you were on the list :shock:

The more I think about it, the more bizarre it is. But no, I'd say all the stuff I buy comes from the UK. I only buy stuff available on 'Prime' which often turns up in less than 24 hours so I doubt any of it comes from abroad. Junk like a £20 ukulele, packs of various sizes of twist drills, boxes of 10 or 20 dry batteries, till rolls for the card terminal, random low-ish stuff like that. The one package that arrived with the content actually remove presumed stolen was a bluetooth earpiece so I could listen to voicemails whilst driving.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 17th, 2022, 11:30 pm

Mike4 wrote:
Lanark wrote:

The more I think about it, the more bizarre it is. But no, I'd say all the stuff I buy comes from the UK. I only buy stuff available on 'Prime' which often turns up in less than 24 hours so I doubt any of it comes from abroad. Junk like a £20 ukulele, packs of various sizes of twist drills, boxes of 10 or 20 dry batteries, till rolls for the card terminal, random low-ish stuff like that. The one package that arrived with the content actually remove presumed stolen was a bluetooth earpiece so I could listen to voicemails whilst driving.

Does sound a little bit like a serial killer's shopping list so you might have attracted the attention of some authority?

For it to be every package I really needs to be at some common point in the delivery route
- perhaps there's some character at the local depot with a grudge? or a penchant for dipping in others mail looking for goodies?
- or they've got dodgy equipment that catches on things and they have to repair it?
- or there's a known felon masquerading as a Mr Boilerman, or using the sorting office, and they're trying to catch their stuff? (I've known folk who've received unexpected parcels of drugs to their addresses - which probably were intended to be collected en-route)

I've only had one known case of stuff being tampered with: big parcel from folks with individual cards for the kids had been opened and the cards removed of funds - but everything else put back and delivered still open
- complained, filled out forms, was told off for letting someone put cash in the mail and our postman changed

-sd

Return to “Living Below Your Means”