Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt, for Donating to support the site

Exploring the Lemon Fool Community's Thought's on a Shared Source of Grocery Prices

Making your money go further

Exploring the Lemon Fool Community's Thought's on a Shared Source of Grocery Prices

1. Yes with obvious reservations and caveats that it doesn't run into an unmanageable tasks
33%
2. No there are websites out there that do this well enough for me
58%
3. No I don't feel or think it would work
8%
4. Other
No votes

Total votes: 12

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » November 3rd, 2022, 2:48 pm

Yesterday my good lady put me through a significant test. She's recently had a discectomy and can't carry anything. So muggings here I was more than happy to offer my help.

She took me to Lidl so we could buy dog food for the month. She had purchased some last month from Aldi which was cheaper and mistakenly thought she'd bought them from Lidl :roll: .

Anyways the price was the same. £3.49 for 6 x 400g. We've not opened it yet to see if it's as good as the Lidl offer. The Lidl food looks far superior to the Morrisons we have been getting which has a large amount of gravy and jelly. Whilst we were there I reached deep into my jeans pocket and extracted my trusted mobile phone so I could use the calculator. Trust me :oops: .

There were some larger tins 1240g at £1.49/each. A quick bit of maths and these worked out cheaper than buying the 6 packs.

Quality aside, but assuming it's reasonable, the cos of this dog food works out at £1.00 per day for two dogs. If we purchased from Morrisons the cost would be £1.50 per day.

That's a significant saving.

We've also reduced our dog biscuit bill but not as much.

Are there websites that do this sort of analysis? If not would some sort of "core" shopping list analysis benefit the community or would it turn into Pandora's Box?

AiY(D)

pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Exploring the Lemon Fool Community's Thought's on a Shared Source of Grocery Prices

Postby pje16 » November 3rd, 2022, 3:40 pm

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Exploring the Lemon Fool Community's Thought's on a Shared Source of Grocery Prices

Postby Dod101 » November 3rd, 2022, 4:07 pm

pje16 wrote:https://www.trolley.co.uk/

I don't ever buy any of today's best bargains.

Dod

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » November 3rd, 2022, 4:25 pm

Dod101 wrote:

Dod

money to burn then? :lol:

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 3rd, 2022, 4:41 pm

pje16 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Dod

I live on my own and have very simple tastes. I am not sure anyway what it is that AiY is proposing, because there is such a lot more to buying food than just going for the cheapest of whatever because there is a huge difference in quality, taste, freshness, not to say convenience of the store and so on.

Not like buying fuel for instance.

Dod

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » November 3rd, 2022, 4:59 pm

Dod101 wrote:
pje16 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Dod

I live on my own and have very simple tastes. I am not sure anyway what it is that AiY is proposing, because there is such a lot more to buying food than just going for the cheapest of whatever because there is a huge difference in quality, taste, freshness, not to say convenience of the store and so on.

Not like buying fuel for instance.

Dod

pretty much like me then
Foodwise I won't buy rubbish, no matter what the price is
but I do like a bargain
Some supermarket brands are OK, others are awful

Loup321
Lemon Slice

Postby Loup321 » November 4th, 2022, 7:27 am

Thank you so much for this! There is a specific product I need to buy this weekend, and I have manually checked Tesco, Morrisons and Sainsbury's websites (the easiest to get to for me), to find it cheapest in Morrisons (neither Lidl nor Aldi sell it). Fine.

Using this site, I found it even cheaper in Co-op which is just at the end of my road! I'll go to Co-op and if they don't have it in stock I'm on the way to the bus stop for Morrisons anyway, but if they do it will also save me a bus fare. I wouldn't normally consider Co-op because their range of stock is so limited, but I have checked whether I can get this on Click and Collect today, and I can.

The Trolley website was a little confusing - I had to click through to see different size bottles - but as it is a specific product I need, it wasn't too hard. For a weekly shop, it would probably not be worth my effort.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”