Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Well that was a slap in the face with a wet fish - Electric & Gas Costs - Some Thoughts

Making your money go further
scotview
Lemon Quarter

Re: Well that was a slap in the face with a wet fish - Electric & Gas Costs - Some Thoughts

Postby scotview » December 4th, 2022, 8:48 am

servodude wrote:
At one level it doesn't matter where the CO2 in the atmosphere comes from

-sd

Here's a thought, are people turning down their energy use to save a pound or two or to save the planet ?

I would advocate that if 98% of UK residents believed that the world's climate was at a tipping point they would have been energy saving on this scale a few year's ago. Just shows that the whole climate thing is a lot of green washing and generally tosh.

And before I get a lot of negative feedback and flack, we've got a BEV, highly insulated home, small 15kW boiler, zoned smart heating control and HW cylinder temperature monitoring.

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Well that was a slap in the face with a wet fish - Electric & Gas Costs - Some Thoughts

Postby servodude » December 4th, 2022, 8:59 am

scotview wrote:
servodude wrote:
At one level it doesn't matter where the CO2 in the atmosphere comes from

-sd

Here's a thought, are people turning down their energy use to save a pound or two or to save the planet ?

I would advocate that if 98% of UK residents believed that the world's climate was at a tipping point they would have been energy saving on this scale a few year's ago. Just shows that the whole climate thing is a lot of green washing and generally tosh.

Bit of conflation there though I suspect. :)

I would expect that 98% of the UK don't understand OFDM or FHSS but happy use wi-fi and cellular comms; so their ignorance doesn't equate to the facts being tosh :roll:

I agree though that if they were running adds that explained stuff E.g. the effect of a couple of degrees on the thermostat, folk might understand how stuff works. But from my experience folk generally don't understand stuff though - that's left to us nuts that design the things they don't need to understand.. .. And then the marketing guys lie to them :(

-sd

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » December 4th, 2022, 9:05 am

All the wood I burn is from our land and I have planted over 800 trees, most 40 years ago (600 under a Hertfordshire Tree scheme whereby the council agreed the planting plan and supplied the trees, and I had a local guy plant them). The wood comes from trees that had to be felled (eg Ash trees that were dying, or branches that had to be cut off), so I have seen the full cycle. If I didn't burn them on the fire most would go on a bonfire.
When we have had arborists in to fell big trees, they put all the smaller branches through a chipper so the CO2 is not being released by burning.

Compared to the stupidity of felling trees in America and then shipping the wood over here (by oil burning transport) to be burned by Drax, I think my stove is hugely greener!

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » December 4th, 2022, 9:24 am

tjh290633 wrote:Does nobody else hang their washing on a line these days? I am amazed at the apparently widespread use of tumble driers. Our last washing machine incorporated a tumble driers, but we never had occasion to use it in about 20 years.

On the other hand, we are on our third rotary clothes line whirlygig in 44 years.

TJH

Yes, I hang my washing out to dry most of the time - one of the things I liked about working from home during the pandemic was being able to put washing out when the weather was dry. However I find that when it gets below 10C this is futile, so my latest load is drying inside. I put the heating on all day to help it out (obviously I enjoyed it as well).

Yesterday we were out most of the day until late, so I just had the heating on 2 hours in the morning (before we went out) and two hours in the evening (while we were out, as per the normal timer). When we got back the temperature was 13.5C and as we don't have any heating overnight it was down to 12.5C this morning - much too cold to be comfortable for me once I'm out of bed.

Thus I have now set the heating to stay on all day and stay on until 9pm. This is winter. The thermostat is about 18C.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 4th, 2022, 9:25 am

servodude wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:ps I'm ignoring the doomsters who claim the minute smoke particles will kill us :o

You can squabble with them by pointing out by burning wood not gas, you're not contributing to the global warming problem like they are, and they should be more socially responsible.

Not true. Burning wood emits large amounts of CO2.

You could say it's an accelerated fossil fuel cycle. Put the carbon from biomass into the atmosphere, bypassing the millions of years it takes to transform from living biomass to fossil fuel. And dirty, in the sense that coal was dirty before the 1950s clean air acts.

Aha, I was hoping to lead someone into saying that.

A friend of mine is a it of an eco warrior and he says yeabutnobutyeahbut wood stoves are fine. The CO2 I'm releasing is 'young CO2' captured by the tree just 30 or 40 years ago, which then ALL gets recaptured when another tree grows to replace it so the process is 'carbon neutral'. You gas burners out there are releasing CO2 captured over millions of years and it won't get re-captured any time soon by the process that created it so it just accumulates in the atmosphere.

Intuitively there feels like something wrong or flawed with this argument, but I can't put my finger on what. Do enlighten me so I can feed it back to him!

At one level it doesn't matter where the CO2 in the atmosphere comes from - it all causes the same problem. From that perspective to claim log generated emissions are better is Horlicks. Any "capture" after the event would equally apply to CO2 from anywhere and you might also apply the "it's ok a tree will catch it" logic to all of it (and with enough trees being planted that would work)

Logs however are a sustainable source of fuel - you can replace them in a relatively short time scale. Which you can't do with other sources given our current shortage of dinosaurs and the geological timescales involved in rendering them in to easily moved material.

-sd

Isn't this the whole premise of the weasel term "carbon-neutral" though? (I've been vaguely intending to start a thread about this.)

If you're a company planning to barf up a load of CO2 into the atmosphere, you buy some carbon credits or plant a field of trees to 'offset' it, then your marketing guys start blathering on about how carbon-neutral your company is?

Like all the Waitrose lorries running around on HVO and claiming to be good for the environment because they are bunging out only 15% of the amount of the CO2 emitted by lorries running on dino-diesel?

Or maybe there is some logic I'm missing.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » December 4th, 2022, 9:31 am

I suspect this whole carbon offset cr?p is pure greenwash and the whole overhead costs of doing it contributes plenty of CO2 by itself. Most of offsets are probably things that were going to happen anyway and so don't result in an overall reduction in CO2 going into the atmosphere. The Drax burning of US wood chips is a classic example of this. I don't know how anyone can claim this is carbon neutral. It would be better to bury the chips in the US and burn gas here!

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » December 4th, 2022, 9:37 am

Mike4 wrote:
servodude wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
You can squabble with them by pointing out by burning wood not gas, you're not contributing to the global warming problem like they are, and they should be more socially responsible.

Not true. Burning wood emits large amounts of CO2.

You could say it's an accelerated fossil fuel cycle. Put the carbon from biomass into the atmosphere, bypassing the millions of years it takes to transform from living biomass to fossil fuel. And dirty, in the sense that coal was dirty before the 1950s clean air acts.

Aha, I was hoping to lead someone into saying that.

A friend of mine is a it of an eco warrior and he says yeabutnobutyeahbut wood stoves are fine. The CO2 I'm releasing is 'young CO2' captured by the tree just 30 or 40 years ago, which then ALL gets recaptured when another tree grows to replace it so the process is 'carbon neutral'. You gas burners out there are releasing CO2 captured over millions of years and it won't get re-captured any time soon by the process that created it so it just accumulates in the atmosphere.

Intuitively there feels like something wrong or flawed with this argument, but I can't put my finger on what. Do enlighten me so I can feed it back to him!

At one level it doesn't matter where the CO2 in the atmosphere comes from - it all causes the same problem. From that perspective to claim log generated emissions are better is Horlicks. Any "capture" after the event would equally apply to CO2 from anywhere and you might also apply the "it's ok a tree will catch it" logic to all of it (and with enough trees being planted that would work)

Logs however are a sustainable source of fuel - you can replace them in a relatively short time scale. Which you can't do with other sources given our current shortage of dinosaurs and the geological timescales involved in rendering them in to easily moved material.

-sd

Isn't this the whole premise of the weasel term "carbon-neutral" though? (I've been vaguely intending to start a thread about this.)

If you're a company planning to barf up a load of CO2 into the atmosphere, you buy some carbon credits or plant a field of trees to 'offset' it, then your marketing guys start blathering on about how carbon-neutral your company is?

Like all the Waitrose lorries running around on HVO and claiming to be good for the environment because they are bunging out only 15% of the amount of the CO2 emitted by lorries running on dino-diesel?

Or maybe there is some logic I'm missing.

Yup. That's pretty much it.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » December 4th, 2022, 9:47 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:Does nobody else hang their washing on a line these days? I am amazed at the apparently widespread use of tumble driers. Our last washing machine incorporated a tumble driers, but we never had occasion to use it in about 20 years.

On the other hand, we are on our third rotary clothes line whirlygig in 44 years.

TJH

Hi Mr. T,

I hope you are well and perhaps feeling a little Christmassy :) . If you have the room for a separate tumble dryer and washing machine and you feel it's an expense you want to go to I'd certainly recommend a tumble dryer. However, I'd only suggest the use of the heat exchanger style.

I'm assuming there are only two of you and in order to underwrite my advice above I'd say you would be looking at 57p per 9kg load and would only need to use the dryer max twice a week. But you wouldn't need to buy a 9kg/load dryer.

All that aside and going completely off topic I hope you have got your Christmas tree up too :)

Take care

AiY(D)

Our washing machine gets used infrequently, possibly 3 times a month. Which reminds me, I still have a load of shirts to iron. With a 9kg load, it takes some time to wear that many clothes.

We usually pick a day that looks like being a good drying day to do the washing. If need be we use the radiators in dining room and hall to dry it.

I have written most of our Christmas cards. The Christmas Tree is up, in the loft. I am of the tradition that says it should be erected on Christmas Eve and taken down on Twelfth Night. However, as we shall be visiting our offspring, it will stay in the loft.

Thank you for the kind thoughts

TJH

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » December 4th, 2022, 10:12 am

servodude wrote:Aha, I was hoping to lead someone into saying that.

-sd

Have you thought about stopping breathing. All Ecowarriors ought to consider that. They obviously are ignorant of the carbon cycle.

My neighbour has just applied to fell a beech tree which is in danger of stopping him getting into his shed. It was planted with another about 40+ years ago. The then occupier felled a cypress which had probably been planted 50 years previously soon after the house was built. The wood from all three trees will be used on domestic fires. So 3 trees in just under 100 years suggests a 30 year cycle.

We meat eaters are probably eating year old beasts, so that cycle is about 12 months, and the grass that they graze or the vegetables and fruit that we eat have a somewhat shorter cycle.

Meanwhile we need hydrocarbons for various activities. Carbon Zero is a stupid objective. We have managed to exist for millions of years with varying levels of CO2 in the atmosphere. The Earth is a self-regulating system. It has to cope with variable output from the sun and always has done . One day in the near future we shall go back into a cycle of global cooling. They come and go. Then what will be the logic behind Carbon Zero?

Back in the 1970s they were all getting worked up about global cooling. That is conveniently being forgotten.

TJH

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 4th, 2022, 10:19 am

"Global dimming", I seem to remember the term being...

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » December 4th, 2022, 10:26 am

tjh290633 wrote:
servodude wrote:Aha, I was hoping to lead someone into saying that.

-sd

Have you thought about stopping breathing. All Ecowarriors ought to consider that. They obviously are ignorant of the carbon cycle.

My neighbour has just applied to fell a beech tree which is in danger of stopping him getting into his shed. It was planted with another about 40+ years ago. The then occupier felled a cypress which had probably been planted 50 years previously soon after the house was built. The wood from all three trees will be used on domestic fires. So 3 trees in just under 100 years suggests a 30 year cycle.

We meat eaters are probably eating year old beasts, so that cycle is about 12 months, and the grass that they graze or the vegetables and fruit that we eat have a somewhat shorter cycle.

Meanwhile we need hydrocarbons for various activities. Carbon Zero is a stupid objective. We have managed to exist for millions of years with varying levels of CO2 in the atmosphere. The Earth is a self-regulating system. It has to cope with variable output from the sun and always has done . One day in the near future we shall go back into a cycle of global cooling. They come and go. Then what will be the logic behind Carbon Zero?

Back in the 1970s they were all getting worked up about global cooling. That is conveniently being forgotten.

TJH

Nice rant, good stuff.
Now can you explain the methods by which the earth self regulates?
Imagine you're talking to an audience that's reasonably literate in physics.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » December 4th, 2022, 10:28 am

Mike4 wrote:"Global dimming", I seem to remember the term being...

..was that to do with the expansion of the Murdoch Empire and influence?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 4th, 2022, 11:19 am

servodude wrote:

Exactly.

-sd

That is Locally true. But Globally it could only work if that supply of logs - and more importantly the land they grow on - satisfied all our needs without deforestation. There's nothing sustainable about a small elite using a locally sustainable resource. Unless you eliminate the rest of humanity.

Nature's balance has that woodland gradually removing CO2 long-term from the atmosphere. Yes, it's mostly in a cycle, but some of it is being long-term removed, going from biomass through mulch to forms like soil, peat, and sometimes right up to fossil hydrocarbons. The land you've partially removed from that process by growing trees to burn (or for other non-natural purposes) is part of the problem. Yes it's a tiny part[1], but it's bigger than the gas I as a single household burn, despite that being fossil.

[1] Though where actual deforestation is happening and has side-effects, there's nothing tiny about the local consequences. Example: the Grapes of Wrath. Or many famines throughout history including today, not to mention conflict over scarce resources.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » December 4th, 2022, 11:41 am

Well I'm not growing trees to burn. I am growing trees because I like them and a tiny part of those trees is being burned. Most of the growth cycle of the trees is being captured. I sweep up the leaves and dump them in heaps in corners of the garden where they rot down and more leaves are dumped on top. The quantity is unbelievable and that must be capturing a lot of CO2.

But I agree that it would be better to produce all our energy via, for example, Wind Power/storage and produce no energy by means that output CO2. We could then forget about all this CO2 offset rubbish and really get the CO2 levels in the atmosphere down. But that will only happen of course if all countries do it. As things stand whatever we do in the UK isn't going to make any significant difference either way.

ps <virtue signal mode ON>I've had solar panels since 2011 <virtue signal mode OFF>

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » December 4th, 2022, 11:46 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
servodude wrote:

Exactly.

-sd

That is Locally true. But Globally it could only work if that supply of logs - and more importantly the land they grow on - satisfied all our needs without deforestation. There's nothing sustainable about a small elite using a locally sustainable resource. Unless you eliminate the rest of humanity.

Nature's balance has that woodland gradually removing CO2 long-term from the atmosphere. Yes, it's mostly in a cycle, but some of it is being long-term removed, going from biomass through mulch to forms like soil, peat, and sometimes right up to fossil hydrocarbons. The land you've partially removed from that process by growing trees to burn (or for other non-natural purposes) is part of the problem. Yes it's a tiny part[1], but it's bigger than the gas I as a single household burn, despite that being fossil.

[1] Though where actual deforestation is happening and has side-effects, there's nothing tiny about the local consequences. Example: the Grapes of Wrath. Or many famines throughout history including today, not to mention conflict over scarce resources.

I don't disagree.

But I think there's been a tendency to go "well it doesn't solve all of it so why bother" around most of "this stuff" since we worked out there needed to be action; and that's a bit self defeating.

As if, because we haven't capped the temp rise to 1.5deg letting it hit 4 won't make a difference - screwing up one target doesn't mean you burst the ball and walk off the pitch.

If you can do things "better" it will still be an improvement (over where you would have ended up)
And I think aiming to do stuff "better" is a more palatable, practical and politically achievable goal than telling everyone it's sackcloth, lentils and rolling blackouts for the foreseeable future.
But somehow from most sides it's often presented as "all or nothing" - and anyways the Chinese won't do it :roll: (as if I don't get solar panels and batteries from them)

We can't fix it all at once - and we certainly won't get much done if we're waiting until we can

I think it needs reframed as a maximal efficiency problem; we've got resources, they come at a cost to use, how do we get the best long-term return?

-sd

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 4th, 2022, 12:58 pm

tjh290633 wrote:Our washing machine gets used infrequently, possibly 3 times a month. Which reminds me, I still have a load of shirts to iron. With a 9kg load, it takes some time to wear that many clothes.

Wearing clothes for longer cuts down on washing and, at least in winter, is not such a stinky proposition.

As for ironing, I have given up on that since I stopped working and no longer need to wear conventional shirts. Just hang shirts after washing them and the creases gradually go away, at least with the kind of shirts I have.

This energy saving thing is easy.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » December 4th, 2022, 2:04 pm

I haven't used a tumble drier for many years. They ruin clothes anyway, as evidenced by the amount fluff extracted from clothes into the filter.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » December 4th, 2022, 3:40 pm

scotview wrote:Here's a thought, are people turning down their energy use to save a pound or two or to save the planet ?

Neither.

I have no children and little interest in 'doing my bit' for the environment whilst those with a vested interest in the future indulge themselves with SUVs, tumble driers, and the latest must have electronic gadgets. I won't squander, but any ''green' activities are born of a reluctance to waste things.

Similarly we can afford the heating.

However, I am trying to reduce enrgy use because every kWh less we use is a kWh less that someone else is buying from Putin. And if the world stops buying Russian energy, then Russia can't afford to keep bombing Ukraine.

Paul

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » December 4th, 2022, 3:58 pm

tjh290633 wrote:Have you thought about stopping breathing. All Ecowarriors ought to consider that. They obviously are ignorant of the carbon cycle.

Well somebody is! I assume (hope) you are merely joking/being sarcastic.

tjh290633 wrote:Meanwhile we need hydrocarbons for various activities. Carbon Zero is a stupid objective. We have managed to exist for millions of years with varying levels of CO2 in the atmosphere.

Err... I'm not sure you've quite got this (Nett) Carbon Zero thing.

BTW. I rather doubt "we" have existed at all for "millions of years" - and certainly not at our current level of civilisation. Unless you've got an alternative theory on that one as well. ;)

tjh290633 wrote:The Earth is a self-regulating system. It has to cope with variable output from the sun and always has done . One day in the near future we shall go back into a cycle of global cooling. They come and go. Then what will be the logic behind Carbon Zero?

And in the long run we are all dead etc. etc. Meanwhile...

BTW. The Earth may or may not be a self-regulating system but show me the small print where it states all such self-regulation will be to the exclusive benefit of Homo Sapiens.

tjh290633 wrote:Back in the 1970s they were all getting worked up about global cooling. That is conveniently being forgotten.

Ah yes. Back in the 17th century they told us about "phlogiston". That is conveniently forgotten about now.

All science is nonsense! :)

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » December 4th, 2022, 6:05 pm

XFool wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:The Earth is a self-regulating system. It has to cope with variable output from the sun and always has done . One day in the near future we shall go back into a cycle of global cooling. They come and go. Then what will be the logic behind Carbon Zero?

And in the long run we are all dead etc. etc. Meanwhile...

BTW. The Earth may or may not be a self-regulating system but show me the small print where it states all such self-regulation will be to the exclusive benefit of Homo Sapiens.

The environmentalists are principally concerned with carbon dioxide. If the concentration rises, then plant growth is enhanced and more is dissolved in the oceans.

The only mass extinction was that of the dinosaurs, caused by a heavenly body striking the earth. Rises and falls in carbon dioxide over the last few millennia have had less effect on the climate than the variations of energy from the sun. Human life an d its predecessors managed to survive all that.

TJH

Return to “Living Below Your Means”