Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Amazon Pantry

Making your money go further
BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Amazon Pantry

Postby BusyBumbleBee » February 10th, 2018, 12:07 pm

To go to a small supermarket means a round trip of 12 miles for me and to get to a larger one is a round trip of 28-30 miles which apart from being expensive is time consuming. Each store is a destination in its own right as they are in separate market towns which are themselves ten miles apart.

We have a good village shop but its choice is limited and we also have excellent fresh fruit, veg, egg and meat suppliers quite locally so I have been exploring the delights of Amazon pantry as I am a Prime member for the other stuff.

First you can get free delivery if you order four items which qualify. So if there are items on that list – and I use them and the price is right I order those first. Then I fill the rest of the box with items that I know I can’t buy cheaper elsewhere. Surprising things really: for example Ovaltine at £2 per tub when it is generally £3 elsewhere and Kenco Rich instant coffee which is nearly always available at the price you see it on offer in supermarkets for a limited period.

Very cost effective for me but always open to pick up more tips from other Fools

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: Amazon Pantry

Postby PinkDalek » February 10th, 2018, 3:22 pm

Isn’t the free delivery only on the first order (offer ending 28 Feb)?:

From 00:00 (GMT) Thursday 1 February 2018, get free delivery on your first Amazon Pantry box (£2.99 in value) when you purchase any 4 of the above items. The offer is limited to one per order and cannot be combined with other free delivery offers. The maximum benefit you may receive from this offer is £2.99 per order. This offer is available to Prime members only. This offer ends at 11:59 p.m.(GMT) 28 February 2018.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/pantry/info/pantrypromotion

BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Postby BusyBumbleBee » February 11th, 2018, 11:15 am

PinkDalek wrote:Isn’t the free delivery only on the first order (offer ending 28 Feb)?:

From 00:00 (GMT) Thursday 1 February 2018, get free delivery on your first Amazon Pantry box (£2.99 in value) when you purchase any 4 of the above items. The offer is limited to one per order and cannot be combined with other free delivery offers. The maximum benefit you may receive from this offer is £2.99 per order. This offer is available to Prime members only. This offer ends at 11:59 p.m.(GMT) 28 February 2018.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/pantry/info/pantrypromotion

Not so - I have placed a succession of orders and have had free delivery each time. The operative phrase is "The maximum benefit you may receive from this offer is £2.99 per order.". I agree the wording is somewhat confused but the items that qualify you for free delivery do seem to change from month to month.

JessUK98
Lemon Slice

Postby JessUK98 » February 11th, 2018, 12:56 pm

I have some free promotional credit for Amazon pantry, so was thinking of giving it a go. Are prices comparable to the likes of Aldi/Lidl? I was thinking of stocking up on dishwasher tablets, washing powder etc. I normally wait till they are on offer and bulk buy (or buy cheap and cheerful toilet roll).

BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Postby BusyBumbleBee » February 11th, 2018, 10:10 pm

Are prices comparable to the likes of Aldi/Lidl?
- No, is the answer cos Lidl are difficult to beat on dishwasher stuff ( I do the same as you). However they compete very well with branded goods - Cadburys hot chocolate, Ovaltine, Kelloggs, Rubicon, Kenco etc. Apart from the branded goods they stock a few thousand Morrisons own brand items. Just look for the offers.

JessUK98
Lemon Slice

Postby JessUK98 » February 12th, 2018, 2:45 pm

I've just made my first Amazon Pantry order, should be arriving tomorrow.
I did a no rush delivery on a prime item a few months ago and got £3 promotional credit as a result. I also used the buy 4 selected items to get free delivery. 2 of the items I needed, and I made the other 2 up buying beer :lol: I would have bought the beer at the weekend anyway, and it was the same price (well 67p cheaper per item so I saved £1.34) as the stuff that is usually on offer in the corner shop (I'm not fussy about what I drink).
As to the items, I found there wasn't a great deal of savings to be made on the items that I usually buy. Dishwasher tablets and washing powder were the same price as they are when on offer in the supermarket.
Coffee and tea bags were probably about a £1 cheaper so good if you buy those in multiples I guess, but I personally buy any brand when they are on offer anyway.
I probably won't use Amazon pantry as a first choice again any time soon, but I can see that it could be very useful for buying the staples if you either don't have a big supermarket near you like the OP, can't easily get to or transport bulky items yourself, or go through certain items quite quickly as a family. If you have a supermarket near you, and you buy stuff like washing powder, dishwasher tablets, coffee etc only when they are on offer (or in Lidl/Aldi) then Amazon Pantry probably won't work out any better or cheaper. Some items like Regina Blitz kitchen roll they didn't seem to sell at a decent price (other than in bulk), and the 2 pack roll was £9! You can get that cheaper in the supermarket.
Has potential, and the delivery charge is cheaper than doing an online shop with a supermarket (well last time I looked I think it varied between £3-£5 delivery charge.

BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Postby BusyBumbleBee » March 2nd, 2018, 11:03 am

I wrote earlier
I have placed a succession of orders and have had free delivery each time. The operative phrase is "The maximum benefit you may receive from this offer is £2.99 per order.". I agree the wording is somewhat confused but the items that qualify you for free delivery do seem to change from month to month.

So start of March and the free delivery promotion is still in effect with a slightly changed set of items that give you free delivery.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”