Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

CD player

Making your money go further
AF62
Lemon Quarter

Re: CD player

Postby AF62 » August 1st, 2018, 4:37 pm

Redmires wrote:I share Mel's pain - there's a lot of posts recently where someone is seeking XYZ, only to be told that they should really consider ABC or can't live without FGH.

But quite often someone who *knows* they want and need XYZ doesn't even know ABC exits.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » August 1st, 2018, 4:41 pm

AF62 wrote:
Redmires wrote:I share Mel's pain - there's a lot of posts recently where someone is seeking XYZ, only to be told that they should really consider ABC or can't live without FGH.

But quite often someone who *knows* they want and need XYZ doesn't even know ABC exits.

Maybe you didn't spot the OP's reply, straight after your first suggestion of spotify:

viewtopic.php?p=156465#p156465

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 1st, 2018, 4:48 pm

melonfool wrote:
I already 'pair my phone' with my bluetooth soundbar I have for the TV and will similarly pair it with the Google Mini that arrives this week (free gift with my new Nokia phones....).

And, I will stream music from Amazon, or use it to play the downloaded music I have in Amazon. Though I can also play my Amazon music from the FireStick through the TV/soundbar directly - but that's in the living room.

But I needed something *else* with which to play my CDs, as I used to play them on the Pure thing but it jumps all the time

Ah, OK Mel - it wasn't clear that you already took advantage of the bluetooth technology on some existing kit, so I just wanted to highlight that the CD-player had that feature, and how it might help with some access to music if you weren't aware of how that might happen. Not as good quality as your CD's will be, but certainly gives a great free option for access to other stuff sometimes.

It's a quite blurry area of interest now, this whole 'music access' stuff - so it's almost inevitable that some digression might happen when it's not clear what's currently 'known' about the blurred edges nowadays, regarding bluetooth/mp3's/ripping/streaming etc....

Difficult to judge, of course, without someone going into lots of detail initially, so I hope you don't mind the topic-digression once it was clear that you'd ticked the actual 'CD-player' box....

btw - great idea to get your old music off your Ipod - I think I used MediaMonkey when I did this with my Ipod a few years ago -

http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... le/View/3/

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » August 1st, 2018, 4:58 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:

btw - great idea to get your old music off your Ipod - I think I used MediaMonkey when I did this with my Ipod a few years ago -

http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... le/View/3/

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

The actual ipod is long lost - it's getting the music down from itunes I think I need (which means finding my log in etc). I'm not up with 'ripping' etc, but not sure I really want to be, when I tried to rip tunes to itunes years ago I then had a hard drive crash and lost it all, still had the CDs but the hours of fiddling around with it was all lost. I know 'cloud' makes this less likely now.

The software seems to be called isyncr

re YouTube, I find it useful for the odd review of a song but useless if I just want to play something while I'm cooking, unless I'm happy for it to choose random songs which it thinks are somehow linked, but which usually end up annoying me.

I buy CDs because they are then mine, and if I want to sell them I can, I can use them in the car (which does also have a USB and a AUX outlet), I can lend them to people, I can get them signed, I can peruse the cover notes etc etc.

Mel

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » August 8th, 2018, 10:03 pm

If you haven't already purchased....

I recently bought this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Panasonic DAB micro hifi system
£79 on Amazon.
CD, DAB radio, USB input, BT streaming from phone
Works well enough.
I use CDs. My wife likes to stream her music collection on her phone from the sofa, to the system to play out of the speakers.

Sorry if this contribution is a little late

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » August 8th, 2018, 10:07 pm

Thank you, I have already bought it. I really like it, and my new CD that was coming out Fri which was why I wanted the player.

But I didn't really want that style/set up, it's for the kitchen so I didn't want speakers etc. Also, can't use Nectar points on Amazon (the Nectar points is why I posted on LBYM and not the tech board) :)

Mel

flopski2
Lemon Pip

Postby flopski2 » August 21st, 2018, 4:06 pm

Went off my CD player after it featured in a scene in I, Robot film as some antique music system that one of the protagonists couldn't work. Now up in the attic with the rest of my electronic antiques.

flopski2
Lemon Pip

Postby flopski2 » November 22nd, 2018, 9:21 am

Just seen an old (2017) ad for my music player on Gumtree "as seen in the hit 2004 movie I Robot!!!!". Was on offer at £15.00 at that time. May be if I keep it a few more years it will become a more valuable collectors item.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”