Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

CD player

Making your money go further
melonfool
Lemon Quarter

CD player

Postby melonfool » July 25th, 2018, 11:50 am

Hi

My Pure CD player/DAB radio has died. It would be £50 min to get it repaired and a repair is not guaranteed.

I currently have no way to play CDs as my laptop also died and the new one doesn't have a CD/DVD drive.

I would like to buy a new CD player thus:

1) not very big (it's for the kitchen)
2) not a 'midi system' with speakers
3) not a 'boombox' or one of those ones you're supposed to carry around
4) with a radio, preferably DAB
5) under £150
6) I can buy with my £150 of Nectar points - i.e. where can I get the above that takes Nectar points!?

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
Mel

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Re: CD player

Postby melonfool » July 25th, 2018, 12:19 pm

FredBloggs wrote:Buy a dirt cheap USB optical drive for the laptop, perhaps? Listen to internet "radio"?

I want a CD player - the 'optical drive' for the laptop would not sound good, plus I don't want the laptop in the kitchen.

I have an internet radio, but a) I have no idea how to work it, b) it doesn't have a CD player so it would take up space in the kitchen and not be of much use.

I've just realised I can spend nectar points on ebay, I didn't know that, so that opens up a lot more options than I had looked at so far.

Mel

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 25th, 2018, 12:44 pm

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » July 25th, 2018, 1:09 pm

redsturgeon wrote:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-CMT-X3CD-Micro-System-Bluetooth/dp/B00MZT50BI/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1532518970&sr=8-9&keywords=cd+player+with+speakers

Something like this?

That is one I had looked at, and I like it, but no ability to use nectar points (I am broke having had to replace the laptop and phone in quick succession!).

Can anyone explain how the watts thing works? Because the cost seems to be directly linked to this feature and I don't know what it does? They are 20 on this. One I have seen on ebay that looks nice, only has 5: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JVC-RD-D70-C ... 5681003e02

Mel

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » July 25th, 2018, 1:18 pm

Ha - there's a second hand one of those Sony ones on ebay, I'm going to bid on that and see how it goes.

Mel

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 25th, 2018, 1:58 pm

melonfool wrote:Ha - there's a second hand one of those Sony ones on ebay, I'm going to bid on that and see how it goes.

Mel

Go for it Mel! I assume you will be using sniping software.

Watts means loudness...more watts equals more sound.

5 watts would be adequate (probably) for a couple of people listening in the kitchen. 20 watts is party time! (all watts are not equal though but best not get into that).

JVC is generally not considered as good as Sony.

John

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » July 25th, 2018, 2:41 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
melonfool wrote:Ha - there's a second hand one of those Sony ones on ebay, I'm going to bid on that and see how it goes.

Mel

Go for it Mel! I assume you will be using sniping software.

Watts means loudness...more watts equals more sound.

5 watts would be adequate (probably) for a couple of people listening in the kitchen. 20 watts is party time! (all watts are not equal though but best not get into that).

JVC is generally not considered as good as Sony.

John

Ah, yes I think I knew that about watts now, but even then, no real benchmark for what 5 or 20 means.

Sony is usually considered the 'best' brand I suppose. I don't have sniping software, no.

I've found the Sony one at Argos for £119, I *think* I can use Nectar there, or at Currys for £149, but not sure if I can use Nectar there. Even with Nectar, why pay £30 more!

The auction is five days so I'll see how it goes, if I get outbid I'll go to Argos.

I have a, probably incorrect, idea that if I have music in the kitchen I'll get more tidying etc done in there.

Mel

colin
Lemon Slice

Postby colin » July 31st, 2018, 7:15 pm

I want a CD player - the 'optical drive' for the laptop would not sound good, plus I don't want the laptop in the kitchen.

Assuming that your internet radio does bluetooth you might purchase an optical drive for your laptop, use it to transfer your CD collection to the laptop in WAV format, organize all the files into a system which makes it easy for you to find stuff then copy those files to a mobile phone converting to WMA format along the way which will take up less memory on the phone but will still sound as good as the larger WAV files, open a bluetooth connection between phone and radio and bop around the kitchen. That way you can create play lists from your entire CD collection or just get the phone to select tracks randomly from the entire collection, so no need to change CDs ever again. If your radio does not do bluetooth then there are thousands of different bluetooth speakers you can buy from little ones a few inches square up to tall column speakers.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 31st, 2018, 7:23 pm

melonfool wrote:Anyone got any ideas?

A more off the wall (but serious) suggestion - buy a Google Home or Home Mini, link it to a free Spotify account and tell it to play whatever you want, music, radio, podcasts, etc.

And being in the kitchen you can use it as a timer as well.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » July 31st, 2018, 10:46 pm

Sorry - but why can't I just use CDs?

I HATE Spotify, I don't buy subscriptions, I can't work the stupid playlists and I don't want to listen to adverts.

I don't want to spend the next god knows how many hours ripping CDs and then fiddling about trying to find them in some system to play, a system that no doubt will become obsolete by the time I've finished even doing the ripping or will need so many updates my poor laptop won't be able to cope - a bit like itunes, I tried that and hated it, so now all the music I bought in itunes is lost to me because I have no idea how to work it and no Apple product to work it through.

I JUST WANT A CD PLAYER! I don't want another 'solution'.

Mel

colin
Lemon Slice

Postby colin » August 1st, 2018, 12:20 am

Well just have a look round some charity shops and buy something that seems appropriate.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » August 1st, 2018, 10:04 am

colin wrote:Well just have a look round some charity shops and buy something that seems appropriate.

Charity shops don't take Nectar points....and I don't have time, if I had that sort of time then I suppose I'd have time to sit around working out what WAV/WAZ/WWV etc files are and ripping my current CD collection!

Mel

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » August 1st, 2018, 10:17 am

melonfool wrote:Sorry - but why can't I just use CDs?

I HATE Spotify, I don't buy subscriptions, I can't work the stupid playlists and I don't want to listen to adverts.

I don't want to spend the next god knows how many hours ripping CDs and then fiddling about trying to find them in some system to play, a system that no doubt will become obsolete by the time I've finished even doing the ripping or will need so many updates my poor laptop won't be able to cope - a bit like itunes, I tried that and hated it, so now all the music I bought in itunes is lost to me because I have no idea how to work it and no Apple product to work it through.

I JUST WANT A CD PLAYER! I don't want another 'solution'.

Mel

Hi Mel,

I think this meets all your criteria:

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/gr ... reo-system

HTH,

Watis

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » August 1st, 2018, 11:31 am

Watis wrote:
Hi Mel,

I think this meets all your criteria:

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/gr ... reo-system

HTH,

Watis

Perfect - very well spotted! Half the price of the Sony one, can use Nectar points, and still have some left. Ordered, added in some grocery shopping, all 'free' on my points - being delivered tomorrow.

Gold star!

Thank you :)

I've still got about £50 of Nectar coupons, so now I'll have to think of something else to buy.

Mel

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » August 1st, 2018, 3:31 pm

melonfool wrote:
colin wrote:Well just have a look round some charity shops and buy something that seems appropriate.

Charity shops don't take Nectar points....and I don't have time, if I had that sort of time then I suppose I'd have time to sit around working out what WAV/WAZ/WWV etc files are and ripping my current CD collection!

Mel

Or just use Spotify...

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » August 1st, 2018, 3:39 pm

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » August 1st, 2018, 3:40 pm

AF62 wrote:
melonfool wrote:

Mel

Or just use Spotify...

I mean, apart from Mel saying further up "I hate Spotify"?

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » August 1st, 2018, 3:49 pm

I share Mel's pain - there's a lot of posts recently where someone is seeking XYZ, only to be told that they should really consider ABC or can't live without FGH.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 1st, 2018, 4:10 pm

melonfool wrote:
I JUST WANT A CD PLAYER! I don't want another 'solution'.l

We hear ya Mel, we hear ya! :D

But.....

Please note that the brilliant (and timely!) link from Watis shows a great CD-player that also comes with BLUETOOTH functionality, so do try to give this at least a try at some point, just by pairing your phone with it and playing a few YouTube songs from your phone-browser, just to see how handy it is to play some free music that you don't have to create yourself from your own CD's.

There's very little music that's not available via YouTube, and it's a great free way to access tracks where you might not necessarily own the CD, so given that your soon-to-be-delivered CD-player will help give you great-sounding access to that, then do think about giving it a look when you've got it up and running.

It does look like a good little unit - we'll expect a full report of course....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » August 1st, 2018, 4:35 pm

I already 'pair my phone' with my bluetooth soundbar I have for the TV and will similarly pair it with the Google Mini that arrives this week (free gift with my new Nokia phones....). And, I will stream music from Amazon, or use it to play the downloaded music I have in Amazon. Though I can also play my Amazon music from the FireStick through the TV/soundbar directly - but that's in the living room.

But I needed something *else* with which to play my CDs, as I used to play them on the Pure thing but it jumps all the time (yes, I have cleaned it, yes I have spoken to Pure and 'reset' it, which worked for a while, yes I have considered a repair but as I have £150 [it's gone up since this thread started] of Nectar points I thought a new one wouldn't be a bad idea as the Pure was a cheap refurb anyway and I've had it at least 10 years....)

:)

Mel

(completely coincidentally a friend recommended an Android app last week that can move your music from itunes into /whatever/ so I'll be able to play those from my phone too, I expect it will take me days to sort out, but that will be something, I miss those 83 songs I downloaded ten years ago!)
((one day I'll work out what to do with the Internet radio I suppose, I might just give it to someone))

Return to “Living Below Your Means”