Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Mobile phones

Making your money go further
jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Re: Mobile phones

Postby jackdaww » April 16th, 2018, 2:40 pm

ive now installed whatsapp and level ruler pro - spirit level apps .

so whats next ???

:)

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » April 16th, 2018, 3:15 pm

jackdaww wrote:ive now installed whatsapp and level ruler pro - spirit level apps .

so whats next ???

:)

Well.... in the spirit of the OP's point that people pay over the odds for having a smart phone, you could install "InCompass", (a market research data gathering app, not another direction finder!) on your smartphone and your computer, they will pay you £10 a month to collect usage and environment data (e.g. usage on the PC and what you are listening to via your mobile's microphone).

I've got it installed and my phone now pays me £5 a month (£10 from InCompass - £5 monthly contract) which, whilst a silly amount of money, appeals to my sense of Scroogery and gives me immense pleasure for some reason!

If you do nefarious things on your devices, or are involved in National security, probably not a good idea, but the app is from a trusted Market Research company (Mori) and the Ts & Cs are quite clear that they won't hack your bank or even know who you are.

For those interested*: https://www.incompass.me.uk/?sup=cda&id=wwpreview&ty=p

VRD

*No affiliation other than as a user, as described above.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 29th, 2018, 11:04 am

k333 wrote:
So what I'm saying is that the smart-phone enables me to do things and in places that I could never do before, but it doesn't actually replace anything that I can think of.

Here you go (dated for effect....) -

https://i.redditmedia.com/RXM1vC6if0ERe ... e3d166ef02

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » April 29th, 2018, 11:49 am

Google Keep sounds a bit like Evernote. I will have a look at Keep because free Evernote is restricted to two devices only.

My goto Smartphone App of the moment is Android Auto. I recently bought a Seat Ateca and they wanted over £500 for a built in satnav! The alternative was Android Auto running on a phone which then gives you the excellent Google Maps satnav on the cars screen As well as hands free voice and screen directions with live traffic you get hands free phone and hands free selection of your music from the phone too. You can of course download map areas previously via wifi limiting data charges.

I wanted the same thing in my 1980 VW T25 Camper. With the addition of an £8.99 Ebay bluetooth device connected to the T25s radio AUX to eliminate cabling, and a magnetic phone dashboard mount, the T25 now has a decent satnav, handsfree phone, and my music through the T25's radio's door mounted speakers.

Devjon
2 Lemon pips

Postby Devjon » June 5th, 2018, 1:00 pm

With regard to Google Keep. I use it and find it excellent. I don't know if you are aware, but after having a play around with it I discovered that you can set reminders / alarms depending on geographical location. I booked some advance train tickets and selected to collect them from my local station ticket machine.
In Google Keep I made a reminder " collect tickets from Station "
Next time I went into town, as I got off the bus my phone beeped and the note " collect tickets from station " appeared on the screen.

That's a great feature with lot's of possibilities.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”