Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

GoCompare is NoCompare when it comes to utility pricing

Making your money go further
EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

GoCompare is NoCompare when it comes to utility pricing

Postby EssDeeAitch » November 12th, 2018, 9:25 am

Just done my fourth annual review of utility tariffs using my simple spreadsheet to validate the claims made by the comparison website, GoCompare. Their results are wrong, as in the previous three years.

A company called Pure Power were stated as "Saving you £208.64 a year, however, my supplier, EDF, are the cheapest supplier based on accurate gas and electricity usage and using the suppliers published tariffs to validate the tariffs quoted by GoCompare. So if GoCompare have been wrong about savings, it makes me wonder why (commission payments anyone?).

So, as in the case of investments, dont believe anyone, DYOR.

Here is the list of providers ranked cheapest first as provided by GoCopmpare. EDF who were not quoted by CG as they are my current supplier came in at £971.04/annum

Provider Annual Cost
Pure Planet........£1,040.86 (quoted as cheapest, saving me £208.64 a year)
Power Shop........£1,117.19
So Energy...........£1,117.96
ScottishPower.....£1,156.92
e-on.................£1,250.56
SSE..................£1,255.43

As an aside, I also like EDF as they have live chat which I am a big fan of as it prevents hanging on the phone to a call center.

DrBunsenHoneydew
Lemon Slice

Re: GoCompare is NoCompare when it comes to utility pricing

Postby DrBunsenHoneydew » November 12th, 2018, 1:10 pm

Sounds like you have not been able to get GoCompare to use correctly exactly what tariff you are currently on, or has it defaulted to assuming you're on the Std Variable? Your current tariff will not be in the GoCo quote as it's no longer available to new customers.

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Postby EssDeeAitch » November 12th, 2018, 2:57 pm

DrBunsenHoneydew wrote:Sounds like you have not been able to get GoCompare to use correctly exactly what tariff you are currently on, or has it defaulted to assuming you're on the Std Variable? Your current tariff will not be in the GoCo quote as it's no longer available to new customers.

The process is to select your current supplier, then select the tariff from the drop down (mine was on the list and so selected) and then enter the annual usage. This is the same process as in previous years and each time, the savings possible have been greatly overstated as there were no savings.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » November 14th, 2018, 4:57 pm

all very well...but the 'savings' shown assume that you are to stupid to change from the standard tarif that account will change to when current dael expires

all comparison sites assume customers are this stupid

yo need to make allowance for it!

StepOne
Lemon Slice

Postby StepOne » November 16th, 2018, 4:23 pm

EssDeeAitch wrote:Just done my fourth annual review of utility tariffs using my simple spreadsheet to validate the claims made by the comparison website, GoCompare. Their results are wrong, as in the previous three years.

You could complain to Ofgem, although gocompare is not on their list of accredited comparisons sites.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/hous ... ison-sites

Cheers,
StepOne

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Postby EssDeeAitch » November 16th, 2018, 4:27 pm

StepOne wrote:
EssDeeAitch wrote:Just done my fourth annual review of utility tariffs using my simple spreadsheet to validate the claims made by the comparison website, GoCompare. Their results are wrong, as in the previous three years.

You could complain to Ofgem, although gocompare is not on their list of accredited comparisons sites.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/hous ... ison-sites

Cheers,
StepOne

Good idea, I will do just that.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”