Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Low, but not zero, standing charge for gas

Making your money go further
JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Low, but not zero, standing charge for gas

Postby JohnB » April 9th, 2019, 5:01 pm

We currently only use electricity, our gas supply is capped. They were replacing the gas main in the street but would only do the spur to our house for free if we got a meter fitted. We agreed to this, and plan to pay a gas standing charge, but not use any gas, for a few years before we sell the house, because a house without gas will be harder to sell, and it would cost the new owners £700-£1000 to trench in a new pipe.

So I'm looking for a supplier with a low standing charge, but not zero, as no-one would take us on for no payment. Current supplier of electricity would charge 26p/day, £96 p/a, so looking to beat that. A gas only contract would avoid problems with the white meter we have for electricity, which is another can of worms.

Please, unlike the people on MoneySavingExpert, don't suggest I use a company with a zero standing charge or attach some random device to my new meter. I want a company to have a proper relationship with, not to fool them and come a cropper of the small print of their contract.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Re: Low, but not zero, standing charge for gas

Postby pochisoldi » April 9th, 2019, 6:08 pm

Go to any switch site, put in 10kWh a year for your consumption.

Ignore the cheapest quote (which will be Ebico with zero standing charge), then expect to pay upwards of 25p/day standing charge anyway.

Note that there is no small print with zero standing charge tariffs.

It's quite simple: Gas Bill = daily standing charge * number of days + consumption in kWh * cost per kWh
If daily Standing charge =0, and consumption =0 then Gas Bill = 0.
Companies with zero standing charge tariffs are actually easier to deal with than "normal" tariff suppliers, because they understand that customers chose them because they use next to no gas, and they aren't on the fiddle. (Think: executors selling an empty property, holiday homes are two examples).

PochiSoldi

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » April 9th, 2019, 6:35 pm

The switch sites I've tried reject low usage figures as input errors (uswitch won't allow less than £90 p/a for example)

As I guess much of standing charge goes to the distribution network, I just want a company that takes that and adds some markup, but doesn't worry about meter readers and other overheads. I don't mind the company making a profit out of my situation.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 9th, 2019, 6:56 pm

Bulb charges me 19.47p per day standing charge for gas.

I can supply a referral code that would get us both cashback if you like.

Scott.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » April 11th, 2019, 4:03 pm

Thanks for the offer swill453, but it got every more complicated finding someone to fit a meter but have no usage, so I went with EDF.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”