Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Dyeing Stuff Black

Making your money go further
MikeyWorld
Lemon Pip

Dyeing Stuff Black

Postby MikeyWorld » May 4th, 2019, 8:04 pm

I've got some faded garden furniture (green directors chairs), which with a squirt of teak oil and some fabric dye should look good as new.

But how good is fabric dye, is there a specific brand I should go for?

Is there something better?

Or is it easier to pop down Dunelm Mill, pick a funky fabric and run up something new?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Dyeing Stuff Black

Postby bungeejumper » May 5th, 2019, 4:46 pm

Fabric and stitching needs to be very strong - those directors' chairs have a habit of ripping apart at no notice (and causing injury) - don't ask me how I know. :(

FWIW, my wife found some offcuts which weren't too hard to stitch with heavy grade thread, and they've been superb. https://www.attwoollsmanufacturing.co.u ... as-fabric/ has that kind of thing - you'd want 12 oz or 15 oz for chairs - about £8.50 a running metre, or £9.50 if you think your backside might benefit from added fire retardant qualities. :shock:

BJ

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Re: Dyeing Stuff Black

Postby airbus330 » May 14th, 2019, 4:31 pm

Hi I have successfully used Rust-Oleum Fabric paint on motorcycle seat covers and suede shoes. It gives a very even dense coverage and is not prone to sagging if applied in coats. I imagine you would need 1 can per chair.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”