Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

A tip re cheap certified copies, avoiding posting original docs

Making your money go further
NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

A tip re cheap certified copies, avoiding posting original docs

Postby NomoneyNohoney » July 13th, 2019, 1:48 pm

I sometimes have to provide documents to different organisations, and I hate the idea of sending via post my precious original documents. Hence, my heart sings when I see, "certified copies will be accepted."

As an example, take a document written in a foreign language, for which you have a solicitor's stamped translation. I take them to my local main library, get the librarian to unlock the photocopy machine, and then I photocopy both sheets of paper onto a single A3 sheet. Once done, I handwrite onto the photocopy, "Certified true copy of the originals," and then get the librarian to add their name and signature, with the library rubber stamp applied for verification. Then, the photocopy gets sent to the organisations.

I've done this three times now: my librarians are happy to add their certification for no charge, so all it costs - at my library - is £1.00 per A3 photocopy.

If the requirement is just "certified copies" then this works fine, and would be hard to get done more cheaply, and avoids risk of losing original documents in the post, or while being processed.

HTH.

neversay
Lemon Slice

Re: A tip re cheap certified copies, avoiding posting original docs

Postby neversay » July 19th, 2019, 2:10 pm

Thanks NmNh - that's a great tip and very helpful indeed!

eepee
Lemon Slice

Postby eepee » July 20th, 2019, 9:46 am

Reminds me of another library use (as was) ..................

Years ago, pre internet, if we were going some distance and were not sure of the weather, my OH used to phone the destination library!

Telephone number, easy to find and all they had to do is look out of the window. It always worked!

Regards,
ep

Cookie
2 Lemon pips

Postby Cookie » July 20th, 2019, 10:42 pm

Isn't there normally a list of professions that can certify - can't remember librarian being on that list?

paulnumbers
Lemon Slice

Postby paulnumbers » July 20th, 2019, 10:46 pm

Cookie wrote:Isn't there normally a list of professions that can certify - can't remember librarian being on that list?

Well, that's what I thought. I quite fancy opening this account for some of my Stooz pot :-

https://www.theloughborough.co.uk/savin ... e-to-buy-1

But they appear to be in the dark ages :-

https://62dbe34d7011e1d96aed-74f148eac2 ... -Final.pdf

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » July 29th, 2019, 10:00 am

This section seems to corroborate my suggestion:-

"Opening an account by post
For postal applications we’ll accept photocopy documents as long as they’re certified by an appropriate person who is not an immediate member of your family,
such as a:
Doctor-
Teacher-
Solicitor-
Accountant-
Bank or Building Society official-
Financial Services approved person-
Government official-
Chartered Surveyor
and we're provided with sufficient information to be able to contact that person.

Using the comment, " such as" indicates that a Branch Librarian would be suitable.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 30th, 2019, 6:03 am

I find it mildly surprising that this particular Old-Boys-Network game lives on in a society where Class privileges have come under so much scrutiny and pressure. 'Cos the privileging of such traditional higher-status occupations is so obviously a Class issue.

Furthermore, there's lots of confusion and little consistency over what is/isn't acceptable. For a cautionary tale, see my account of when I was asked to countersign for someone as a professional person - an application that subsequently bounced back! The 'merkins have a much clearer system: being eligible to sign is limited to Notaries. But Notaries are ten-a-penny there, precisely because they're so often needed, it's kind-of like nominating someone from your office to be responsible for anything from first aid contact to coffee supplies.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”