Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Quidco & Cycle Republic

Making your money go further
Shenstone

Quidco & Cycle Republic

Postby Shenstone » January 2nd, 2020, 6:09 pm

Hi all,
Just a word of warning.
I have used Quidco for over a year now and saved myself quite a bit of money.
I recently spent over £900 with Cycle Republic through Quidco which should have been around £45 cashback.
However I have now been told by Quidco that Cycle Republic have declined the payment of cashback saying Quidco weren't the referrer which is not true as I was very careful to make sure I went via Quidco when spending over £900.
So beware of buying from Cycle Republic via Quidco and I'm sure they are happy to be listed on their site to generate extra sales but are very keen not to pay out.
Regards
Shenstone.

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Re: Quidco & Cycle Republic

Postby Gersemi » January 3rd, 2020, 5:24 pm

That can happen if you have browsed the website before going through Quidco. I always access Quidco through a separate account on my computer, which seems to work (I've used Quidco for many years), though I've never spent that much money.

Shenstone

Postby Shenstone » January 3rd, 2020, 6:14 pm

Thanks Gersemi. That's interesting to know.
I shall remember that for future purchases on other sites.

Westy23

Postby Westy23 » January 4th, 2020, 6:51 am

I have had the same issue with topcashback.
I now browse on my iPad,
But make a purchase via topcashback on a different iPad.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » January 4th, 2020, 8:44 am

thats interesting..

are you/ is it suggested that the 'records' that sites keep are linked to the computer/Ipad/tablet and not to the IP address

i mean much is made of Easyjet and others knowing you have been before so you dont get best prices....I always assumed that was IP address not unit used

???

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » January 4th, 2020, 8:49 am

I gave up on Quidco years ago and went with Topcashback.

I use a separate PC with Web browsers (Firefox and Chrome) configured to clear cookies and browsing history on exit.
This worked fine until recently, then I had a series of failed transactions with Firefox. No such issues with Chrome.

The problem seemed to be at the point TCB launched the session with the supplier. ("other echnical issue" rather than stale cookies or supplier/tcb "urine extraction")

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » January 4th, 2020, 2:47 pm

You shouldn't need a separate computer, just clear all cookies and you should be good to go

That said, I'm always having problems with Quidco either tracking my purchase or accepting my claim. Takes a bit of arguing with them sometimes. I'm not sure whether it's worth all the hassle sometimes, especially when you have to wait up to six months to get your cashback.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » January 4th, 2020, 9:37 pm

Maroochydore wrote:You shouldn't need a separate computer, just clear all cookies and you should be good to go

Routinely deleting cookies on my main
"daily" pc would make my life a misery.

For me a "separate pc" is a virtual machine on a server running 24/7 doing other stuff, so no additional hw required.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » January 5th, 2020, 6:10 pm

mutantpoodle wrote:are you/ is it suggested that the 'records' that sites keep are linked to the computer/Ipad/tablet and not to the IP address

i mean much is made of Easyjet and others knowing you have been before so you dont get best prices....I always assumed that was IP address not unit used

There are lots of ways to track you, other than cookies and IP addresses - some information here - https://pixelprivacy.com/resources/brow ... rprinting/

For Quidco I browse using Chrome with uBlock Origin and Ghostery, but then when I come to make a purchase I use Edge (with no addins) and having cleared the cookies first. Seems to work for me.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”