Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Landline broadband plus anytime calls from £13pm

Making your money go further
CatcheeMonkee
Lemon Pip

Landline broadband plus anytime calls from £13pm

Postby CatcheeMonkee » May 4th, 2021, 8:20 pm

This morning's task: find a new supplier for my mother's broadband and unlimited calls as her Sky deal is coming to an end (best renewal quote from them £33 pm). She only needs standard (i.e. not fibre) broadband.

Discovered, via Quidco, a Now Broadband offer of broadband plus unlimited anytime calls for £18 per month, plus £5 router delivery. It's a twelve-month offer.

When you take into account the £64 cashback that works out at a smidge above £13 per month - big saving compared to Sky's £33.

Now Broadband is owned by Sky and they have two fibre options, too, for a few pounds extra a month plus a better cashback ...

Mum well happy.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Re: Landline broadband plus anytime calls from £13pm

Postby AF62 » May 7th, 2021, 6:50 pm

CatcheeMonkee wrote:Now Broadband is owned by Sky

Same as Plusnet is owned by BT.

Operate a ‘premium’ brand where you charge a premium price, and operate a budget brand for the price sensitive.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 22nd, 2021, 3:53 pm

AF62 wrote:

Operate a ‘premium’ brand where you charge a premium price, and operate a budget brand for the price sensitive.

Plusnet was a decent mid-sized ISP before being borged by BT. In fact it's the only past ISP I've used that I think of without a shudder of horror, or would ever return to.

If "Now Broadband" has any comparable history, it's passed me by.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » May 22nd, 2021, 5:54 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
AF62 wrote:

Plusnet was a decent mid-sized ISP before being borged by BT. In fact it's the only past ISP I've used that I think of without a shudder of horror, or would ever return to.

So presumably you were using Plusnet before 2007 when BT bought them.

I have never had any issues with any broadband supplier; NTL with their 64k broadband - yes 64k - back at the beginning of the millennium, then VirginMedia after their takeover, before getting fed up with the annual haggle with them over prices, before leaving for Sky’s NowTV broadband when FTTC made an appearance in the area and needing to get a ‘real’ phone line installed, and then to BT for the last few years.

All of them have worked without issue, and to be honest BT has probably been the best.

UncleEbenezer wrote:If "Now Broadband" has any comparable history, it's passed me by.

Now Broadband is the broadband offering from Sky’s budget NowTV brand, where the TV service is delivered by broadband rather than satellite.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » May 22nd, 2021, 11:25 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Plusnet was a decent mid-sized ISP before being borged by BT. In fact it's the only past ISP I've used that I think of without a shudder of horror, or would ever return to.

obvs this is an example of each to their own based on personal experiences but I wouldnt touch them with a barge pole.

the much vaunted Uk based call centres with a minimum of a 45 minute wait time.

Shoddy supplied routers that are not fit for purpose - poor build quality. We got through four routers in about 2.5 years. It was suggested it must be our home electric supply . I asked them why the exactly same home electric supply hadnt borked once in about 8 years with another ISP and a belkin router before them. They couldn't answer that. I requested a 5th router. They refused unless I re-signed for a locked in two year contract. I suggested I sue my own belking router as before - they refused that as it wasnt their supplied router "if I had a problem subseqently" and they would require me to use their router before they would investigate. I said their router currently didnt work like the previous three eventually didnt. They said it must be our electricity supply. I reminded them of my other expereince with another ISP and the belkin router that I had mentioned.

we went around and around a few times.

I moved to Vodafone.

didds

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 22nd, 2021, 11:48 pm

didds wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Plusnet was a decent mid-sized ISP before being borged by BT. In fact it's the only past ISP I've used that I think of without a shudder of horror, or would ever return to.

obvs this is an example of each to their own based on personal experiences but I wouldnt touch them with a barge pole.
didds

Fairy nuff. My experience isn't up to date. I left in 2013, when my house move took me to an area which didn't (at the time) have the option of broadband from them. No fibre options, and BT's ADSL checker said "0.25Mb/sec if you're lucky". In my naïvete I got a Virgin cable connection, which was the worst nightmare of all - and that includes Demon in their declining years when their billing department became legendary.

And I never used a plusnet-supplied router, though a friend did, and was happy with it.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 23rd, 2021, 7:07 am

didds wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:

obvs this is an example of each to their own based on personal experiences but I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

the much vaunted Uk based call centres with a minimum of a 45 minute wait time.

I've been with PlusNet for a couple of years now, for my line, broadband, and free calls (currently around £37 per month for the lot), and I've been very happy with them.

I was previously with TalkTalk for many years, and I was a happy customer of theirs until my line developed a brief and sporadic broadband cut-off issue that they were unable to successfully solve over a long period of trying, so in the end I considered the simplest solution might be to just move broadband supplier and hope for the expected exchange-level changeovers to solve the problem for me, and so it proved, as heading over to Plusnet at that stage solved the issue for good, and also got me a faster level of broadband for less money that I was paying previously.

I've also got to say that I've never had an issue getting in touch with their 0800 support line, although I am always careful to call early in the mornings when trying to contact most customer services helplines, so I think expectations should be set accordingly, depending on how busy a time of day people try to access these types of services.

As you say, broadband customers are likely to have differing experiences in this market, but I just wanted to mention that I've been very happy with my move over to Plusnet some years ago now.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

granretire
2 Lemon pips

Postby granretire » May 23rd, 2021, 10:53 am

I have been with Plusnet since 2018 and am very happy with the service I get. If I have a problem I find customer service helpful and willing to transfer the problem to their technical dept if they can't deal with it. Their billing leaves something to be desired, but all errors made by billing have worked in my favour.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”