Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

No Standing Charge Electric Tarrif

Making your money go further
steelman99
Lemon Pip

No Standing Charge Electric Tarrif

Postby steelman99 » April 19th, 2022, 2:19 pm

With the recent increase in electric prices , we've had another look at our bills.
We have solar panels and a battery storage system so for most of the year we only draw a minimul amount from the grid
For March and April we have been virtualy self sufficent for electric, only drawing around 0.5-0.7 KWH per day. we usualy draw a small amount ehen we boil the kettle an d thats all we use

Our smart meter is showing a daily usage of 60p per day of which 48p is standing charge.
Have looked at Utilita's Smart Energy tariff which has 51p for the first 2 units per day , then 27.35 per unit after that

We are seriously considering it as it would reduce our daily charge from 60p per day to around 26p per day . They also do a gas tarriff along the same lines which would benefit us in the summer , but not in the winter

Has anyone had any dealings with utilita either good or bad , and is anyone aware of any other No standing charge tariffs

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Re: No Standing Charge Electric Tarrif

Postby stevensfo » April 20th, 2022, 2:12 pm

steelman99 wrote:With the recent increase in electric prices , we've had another look at our bills.
We have solar panels and a battery storage system so for most of the year we only draw a minimul amount from the grid
For March and April we have been virtualy self sufficent for electric, only drawing around 0.5-0.7 KWH per day. we usualy draw a small amount ehen we boil the kettle an d thats all we use

Our smart meter is showing a daily usage of 60p per day of which 48p is standing charge.
Have looked at Utilita's Smart Energy tariff which has 51p for the first 2 units per day , then 27.35 per unit after that

We are seriously considering it as it would reduce our daily charge from 60p per day to around 26p per day . They also do a gas tarriff along the same lines which would benefit us in the summer , but not in the winter

Has anyone had any dealings with utilita either good or bad , and is anyone aware of any other No standing charge tariffs

Could you give a few details about your battery storage system?

I think it's everyone's dream to be self sufficient and free of the 'Trotter Trading Company -New York & Peckham' utility companies.

But of course, as soon as we are, they will find other means of taxing us.

Steve

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » April 20th, 2022, 5:01 pm

stevensfo wrote:Could you give a few details about your battery storage system?

A Tesla "Powerwall" I would imagine, although by now other brands are probably available.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Powerwall

steelman99
Lemon Pip

Postby steelman99 » April 21st, 2022, 12:03 pm

as Ive been asked for details of our system

We have had solar panels on the roof for quite a few years and was happy with the decent returns from the feed in tarriff . Only when we got a smart meter did I realise how much we were sending back to the grid

The System is AC coupled so we dont loose any FIT, its a lux power system with 2 plyontech batterys - total storage capacity is 4.8KWH . Its only been installed a few months so how effective it is in mid december I cant comment, but our house faces south west so we dont get a lot of sun in a morning .

Been checking in a morning and the battery is still at 49-50% capacity and by lunch time its at 100% - in the afternoon we still send power back to the grid.

Cost of instalation the system was £3400 , according to the online monitering we've had the system 2 months now and bought in 13.8KWH, and sent 229.2 KWH back to the grid. Total household usage over this period has been 187.8 KWH so a saving of 174 kwh

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » April 22nd, 2022, 12:18 am

steelman99 wrote:as Ive been asked for details of our system

We have had solar panels on the roof for quite a few years and was happy with the decent returns from the feed in tarriff . Only when we got a smart meter did I realise how much we were sending back to the grid

The System is AC coupled so we dont loose any FIT, its a lux power system with 2 plyontech batterys - total storage capacity is 4.8KWH . Its only been installed a few months so how effective it is in mid december I cant comment, but our house faces south west so we dont get a lot of sun in a morning .

Been checking in a morning and the battery is still at 49-50% capacity and by lunch time its at 100% - in the afternoon we still send power back to the grid.

Cost of instalation the system was £3400 , according to the online monitering we've had the system 2 months now and bought in 13.8KWH, and sent 229.2 KWH back to the grid. Total household usage over this period has been 187.8 KWH so a saving of 174 kwh

Thanks for a great real world example!

Any idea why you are taking anything out of the grid, if you're at 50% in the morning?
Is there something that's permanently powered from that side? or is it because some days the battery is exhausted?

I've done more of this budgeting stuff than I care to remember for various types of commercial (stand alone remote) solar powered installations (generally telemetry in places it takes a long time to drive to) and it's great to see that the principles apply equally to more traditional power use.

- sd

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » April 22nd, 2022, 3:02 pm

All those numbers are variable and depend on many other factors such as the inclusion of charging an electric car, cooking by gas or electric & wether you use electric to heat domestic hot water etc, etc.

steelman99
Lemon Pip

Postby steelman99 » April 23rd, 2022, 7:23 am

[quote]
Any idea why you are taking anything out of the grid, if you're at 50% in the morning?
Is there something that's permanently powered from that side? or is it because some days the battery is exhausted?[/quote}

No the batterys have never been exhausted , Im assuming that something in the system limits the ammount of power the batterys can give out at once , and the spike in demand from boiling the kettle (its one of those one cup things) i more than the battery can give up at once.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » April 23rd, 2022, 8:00 am

steelman99 wrote:
Is there something that's permanently powered from that side? or is it because some days the battery is exhausted?[/quote}

No the batterys have never been exhausted , Im assuming that something in the system limits the ammount of power the batterys can give out at once , and the spike in demand from boiling the kettle (its one of those one cup things) i more than the battery can give up at once.

That sounds believable.

I imagine you can balance the configuration of the inverter limits with different concerns; allowing sustained high current, or deep cycling the battery could age it quicker.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”