Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Energy costs. Oh dear.......

Making your money go further
servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Energy costs. Oh dear.......

Postby servodude » December 11th, 2023, 7:55 am

scotview wrote:
servodude wrote:
Calling it "times of stress" seems a bit dramatic.. unless you also consider the post EastEnders cuppa a DDOS attack ;)
It's how it's designed to work; the load goes up and down, and batteries mean you need to care less

Thanks for the reply. Well, you've got your viewpoint on how to run a grid and I've got mine, good debate.

It's not really my view; it's just a field you can't really avoid if you choose a career in control - honestly there are much more interesting things we can spend our time on :D

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 15th, 2023, 6:58 pm

I just got an email from my supplier (Shell (Octopus)).

To quote:

"On Monday 1 January, Ofgem is increasing the unit rate of energy and the standing charge.
Your electricity standing charge per day is changing from 59.39p to 57.33p.
Your gas standing charge per day is changing from 29.62p to 27.47p."

Scary increase...

Scott.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » December 15th, 2023, 7:24 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -bad-debts

"The energy watchdog has set out plans that would result in households paying an extra £16 on top of their energy bills to help suppliers recover almost £3bn in bad debts from customers struggling to pay bills."

I'm going to the pub tonight. I'm going to have a good time. My wallet will be left at home...the other clients can pay my drinks tab! Cheers!

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » December 15th, 2023, 7:56 pm

monabri wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/dec/15/ofgem-plans-household-charge-to-help-energy-firms-recover-bad-debts

"The energy watchdog has set out plans that would result in households paying an extra £16 on top of their energy bills to help suppliers recover almost £3bn in bad debts from customers struggling to pay bills."

I'm going to the pub tonight. I'm going to have a good time. My wallet will be left at home...the other clients can pay my drinks tab! Cheers!

Well, as I understand it, I (along with most others) am already helping to pay, via the standing charge, for those people who enjoyed (cough!) 'cheaper energy' for several years; before it suddenly transpired there was no such thing.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » December 15th, 2023, 8:30 pm

XFool wrote:
monabri wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/dec/15/ofgem-plans-household-charge-to-help-energy-firms-recover-bad-debts

Well, as I understand it, I (along with most others) am already helping to pay, via the standing charge, for those people who enjoyed (cough!) 'cheaper energy' for several years; before it suddenly transpired there was no such thing.

Dead right....and when I was moved to BG from Flow Energy my account was £340 in credit.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » December 17th, 2023, 12:59 pm

scotview wrote:I've attached a very interesting video of how domestic batteries are being used right now to help with balancing the grid during stressed periods. Now, I am not too sure that the grid should be run in such high risk mode but I am astonished how technology has and is developing so quickly. See link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4IQzEEaQa8&t=10s

I would tend to us my domestic battery storage to run my gas central heating electronics to keep the house warm, during a grid outage but that's another story.

According to RWTH Aachen University, Germany had 72GWh of installed battery storage at the end of 2022, including 65GWh in EVs and 5.2GWh in domestic batteries. Both markets are growing rapidly.

https://www.theiet.org/involved/partner ... -the-grid/

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » December 19th, 2023, 8:09 am

From the BBC -

Wasted wind power adds £40 to household energy bills -

Wasted wind power will add £40 to the average UK household's electricity bill in 2023, according to a think tank.

That figure could increase to £150 in 2026, Carbon Tracker has estimated.

When it is very windy, the grid cannot handle the extra power generated. Wind farms are paid to switch off and gas-powered stations are paid to fire up. The cost is passed on to consumers.

Carbon Tracker said the main problem in getting electricity to where it is needed is a bottleneck in transmission between Scotland and England.

The practice of switching off wind farms and ramping up power stations is known as "wind curtailment" and the costs are passed on to consumers, it said.

Carbon Tracker researches the impact of climate change on financial markets. It said since the start of 2023, wind curtailment payments cost £590m, adding £40 to the average consumer bill.

It warned those costs were set to increase to add £180 per year to bills by 2030, due to wind farms being built faster than the power cabling needed to transmit the electricity.

"The problem is, there are not enough cables. The logical solution would be to build more grid infrastructure," said Lorenzo Sani, analyst at Carbon Tracker.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67494082

It sounds like we better get used to the idea of lots more pylons pretty quickly...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » December 19th, 2023, 8:57 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
From the BBC -

Wasted wind power will add £40 to the average UK household's electricity bill in 2023, according to a think tank.

When it is very windy, the grid cannot handle the extra power generated. Wind farms are paid to switch off and gas-powered stations are paid to fire up. The cost is passed on to consumers.

Carbon Tracker said the main problem in getting electricity to where it is needed is a bottleneck in transmission between Scotland and England.

The practice of switching off wind farms and ramping up power stations is known as "wind curtailment" and the costs are passed on to consumers, it said.

Carbon Tracker researches the impact of climate change on financial markets. It said since the start of 2023, wind curtailment payments cost £590m, adding £40 to the average consumer bill.

It warned those costs were set to increase to add £180 per year to bills by 2030, due to wind farms being built faster than the power cabling needed to transmit the electricity.

"The problem is, there are not enough cables. The logical solution would be to build more grid infrastructure," said Lorenzo Sani, analyst at Carbon Tracker.

It sounds like we better get used to the idea of lots more pylons pretty quickly...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

I think one bit of this is BS by the BBC or a misunderstanding. In what way are electrons from a gas powered station different from the electrons from a wind turbine that the grid can handle the former but not the latter.

I agree that there will be a cost to turn off wind turbines when they are producing more power than the grid requires*, but why would you turn on gas turbines!

* because thats the way the contracts are written at the moment. Presumably that could change though in the future.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » December 19th, 2023, 9:05 am

daveh wrote:
I think one bit of this is BS by the BBC or a misunderstanding. In what way are electrons from a gas powered station different from the electrons from a wind turbine that the grid can handle the former but not the latter.

I agree that there will be a cost to turn off wind turbines when they are producing more power than the grid requires*, but why would you turn on gas turbines!

The BBC story hints at the underlying network-related issue, but some additional details are available here -

Why did the UK pay £500 Million to switch off wind turbines last year?

The government mandates the National Grid to use the electricity generated by the wind turbines, but the Grid cannot always handle the power they generate. In those cases, the wind turbines have to be deactivated, but the government (i.e. you, the tax-payer) still has to stump up large amounts cash for, literally, nothing.

The technical name for this process is “curtailment” – another word is waste - and the Government paid £299m for curtailment in 2020, and £507m in 2021 (check out the figures here).

As we build more turbines - Scotland is planning to double its production of renewable energy - those figures will keep rising.

[One of the reasons for curtailment is that] over 40% of all wind-turbine electricity in the UK comes from Scotland, but the transmission network was not designed for huge energy flows between Scotland and England.

As a result, operators in Scotland are frequently required to switch off their wind turbines, while English gas-fired power stations are being paid to increase output.

More transmission cables from north to south would solve this problem, but electricity pylons are even less popular than onshore wind turbines.

https://www.viritech.co.uk/blog/why-did-the-uk-pay-500-million-to-switch-off-wind-turbines-last-year-green-hydrogen-can-solve-this-problem

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » December 19th, 2023, 9:14 am

daveh wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
From the BBC -

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

* because thats the way the contracts are written at the moment. Presumably that could change though in the future.

That was my initial thought, but a proper read of the article highlighted
One of the reasons for curtailment is that over 40% of all wind-turbine electricity in the UK comes from Scotland, but the transmission network was not designed for huge energy flows between Scotland and England.
As a result, operators in Scotland are frequently required to switch off their wind turbines, while English gas-fired power stations are being paid to increase output.

More transmission cables from north to south would solve this problem, but electricity pylons are even less popular than onshore wind turbines.

So it's a transmission problem, not a generation problem

--kiloran

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » December 19th, 2023, 9:45 am

Yes I didn't actually read the article, just commented on the quote. But there will be an increasing number of turbines offshore England in the future so transmission south should become less of a problem. SSEN are putting in a big undersea connecter to Northern England from NE Scotland* over the next few years and the transmission network south on land was recently (2015 with much controversy) improved (Beauly to Denny; Northern Scotland to Borders to take power south) and more to come if the NIMBYs allow.

*Eastern Green Link 2
EGL2 is a 2GW high voltage direct current (HVDC) electrical ‘superhighway’ cable link to be built between Peterhead in Aberdeenshire, Scotland and Drax in North Yorkshire, England.

https://www.ssen-transmission.co.uk/pro ... en-link-2/

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » December 19th, 2023, 9:54 am

kiloran wrote:So it's a transmission problem, not a generation problem

--kiloran

So I suppose the big question is, do they upgrade for the present electrical load which comprises mainly cooking, lighting, home electrical appliances, hospital electrics etc.

Or do they upgrade the grid for future full scale home domestic heating load, full electricification of the domestic and commercial road transportion fleets, electrification of railways and electrification of industry.

Bet they only do a wee bit.

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » December 19th, 2023, 10:23 am

scotview wrote:
kiloran wrote:So it's a transmission problem, not a generation problem

--kiloran

So I suppose the big question is, do they upgrade for the present electrical load which comprises mainly cooking, lighting, home electrical appliances, hospital electrics etc.

Or do they upgrade the grid for future full scale home domestic heating load, full electricification of the domestic and commercial road transportion fleets, electrification of railways and electrification of industry.

Bet they only do a wee bit.

The grid is already sufficient for present load although there are some missing links as more power is being generated in new isolated locations, such as renewables in northern scotland that need transmitting south to the central belt and onwards to england where power is required.

New transmission will be required for the increased electrical load due to domestic heating and transportation moving to electricity, though I have seen some reports that local solar and battery storage may in future take up some of the slack for housing demand.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » December 19th, 2023, 10:58 am

Domestic battery storage is really interesting and it seems to be a route the Germans are pursuing (see my earlier link a few posts back).

There's 28 million homes in the UK and if half of them had a 5kw battery that's....well, a lot. (70GW?) Add in the electric cars, pumped storage, hydrogen etc and we're finding a home for all those electrons that are currently wasted.

I have a chap coming over tomorrow from home energy Scotland to discuss batteries, heat pumps and solar panels with me. I roughly estimate that if it all goes ahead, my energy bills could be near zero.....or certainly vastly reduced.

Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Postby Adamski » December 19th, 2023, 11:34 am

The government has pledged another £1.5 billion for heat pumps for the boiler upgrade scheme, out of a pot earmarked of £6 billion.

This "Conservative" govt of Rishi :roll: loves throwing good money after bad... hs2, smart motorways, migrant hotels, Rwanda, foreign aid, net zero covid inquiry, heat pumps... the list of billions wasted bonkers. Wish they'd listen to their actual voters.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » December 20th, 2023, 4:48 pm

I think we're at, or very close to a record for wind generation in this country @ 21.69GW...

https://grid.iamkate.com/

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » December 21st, 2023, 7:17 am

New wind power records are set regularly, and between 5:30pm and 6:00pm on 20th December 2023 British wind farms averaged a record 21.71GW of generation.

I'm assuming this would be more if windfarms weren't being throttled back for fear of overloading the grid?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » December 21st, 2023, 7:26 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
BullDog wrote:
Easy solution to swap single radiator for double if you can. Anyway, oversized radiator will be better output with lower return temperature.

I have got to the stage now where I think only major expenditure will result in lower energy consumption. And the pay back at that point is very uneconomic.

I agree, and if we can get through a winter without having to use the gas-fire whilst maintaining good level of boiler-only comfort, then I think a radiator swap-out might be on the cards to then achieve a lower running temperature again, but that's probably something for next summer now, which gives me another winter to see if there's a good justification for it.

I think beyond this little experiment, we're also likely to then be in the same position as you, where more major decisions might need to be made for any further improvements in our situation, but the last couple of years has mainly been about cutting back to a still-comfortable base-line on gas and electricity energy-use, and then once we've achieved that, I really don't mind the idea of investing additional funds into targeted areas, as we're in a much better position now to see where those beneficial areas might be, and we also now have a good understanding of the various options available to us by which to potentially move forwards.

For me it's not necessarily been about making the largest absolute monetary savings, but getting ourselves into a position where there's no daft levels of wastage (of which it's clear to me now that there was rather a lot of, going by my earlier rolling 12-month figures), and where we can then improve things from that improved position.

A couple of colder-months on from the above posts, I thought I'd provide a quick update on our home-heating situation.

We've been much better over the last couple of months with using a more focussed central-heating process, where generally speaking and when the house is occupied, we'll heat the whole house to a comfortable temperature during the afternoons and over tea-time, and then once people are later settled into their living spaces for the evening, we'll turn off any radiators outside of those living spaces and only leave on the ones where people are settled for the night. Accepting that variations in outside temperatures make direct energy-use comparisons difficult, I think I've got a good enough handle on our historical week-to-week gas usage to clearly see that this shift to a more focussed radiator usage-pattern is already saving some further gas costs.

Our biggest revelation however, has come from a big improvement to the 'downstairs knocked-through living-rooms with a single undersized radiator' situation, where we were previously finding on the colder evenings that we needed regular addition heat from our poor-efficiency living-flame gas-fire to adequately heat that overly-large downstairs living area.

Given that replacing the under-sized radiator isn't something that's likely to happen this winter, we were toying with the idea of increasing the heat-output from the boiler to see if the existing radiator could be tempted to do a better job of warming our large downstairs rooms, but it was also in the back of my mind that we had a large pair of heavy, lined curtains at the back of our 'other room' in the knocked-through configuration, that offered up an opportunity to install an additional curtain-rail 'above and behind' the knocked-through dividing-wall that sits centrally to our large downstairs living area.

The idea behind this test was that for the sake of around £25 for a nice-looking curtain-rail, and the drilling of six holes to hold the rail-brackets above the wall-arch area, and where the rail and rail-brackets would then normally be 'invisible' from the side of the knocked-through rooms where we'd normally be located in our sitting area, it would be an interesting low-cost and low-impact experiment to see if halving that large knocked-through living space with a pair of heavy, lined-curtains would then allow the undersized-radiator in that 'thermally reduced' living space to be more efficiently heated.

And what a job it's done...

We missed out on trying this experiment in that really cold week at the start of December, but in the past 10 days or so where we have now been able to close those inter-dividing curtains during the evenings, we've felt a huge improvement in warmth and comfort, with clear confirmation on just what a good job those heavy curtains are doing being seen if we cross through them later in the evenings, from what is then a much warmer 'front room' area and into that 'back room' area beyond the curtains.

The temperature difference between the two 'rooms' is very noticeable, and has made a huge difference for us even taking into account the fact that we've already seen a marked difference only when using the undersized-radiator up to now, and so if and when the weather turns much colder again, similar to that first week in December, I fully expect that even if we need to use the gas-fire, we'll see an additionally-large comfort-benefit again from only having to use it to heat our smaller 'curtained-off room' capacity, where it's not also being asked to heat what would normally have been the larger twin-room configuration.

A few posts back, where I was discussing rolling twelve-month gas usage, I thought that the large reductions in kwh figures that we've managed to generate over recent years was probably the bulk of the low-hanging fruit, but after our recent move to a much more focussed radiator-usage pattern and this revelatory 'dividing-curtain' experiment, I'm now encouraged that we'll see some further meaningful kwh reductions in gas-usage this winter, but also beyond that, I'm happy to also now know that in a downstairs living area that we've had trouble making comfortable for many years now during these colder winter months, we'll also now be getting a higher level of comfort from the gas-heating that we are using, even beyond the gas that we're continuing to try and save...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » December 21st, 2023, 8:45 am

Adamski wrote:This "Conservative" govt of Rishi :roll: loves throwing good money after bad... hs2, smart motorways, migrant hotels, Rwanda, foreign aid, net zero covid inquiry, heat pumps... the list of billions wasted bonkers. Wish they'd listen to their actual voters.

They did. That's why we left the EU. :|

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Postby funduffer » December 21st, 2023, 11:05 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
A couple of colder-months on from the above posts, I thought I'd provide a quick update on our home-heating situation.

We've been much better over the last couple of months with using a more focussed central-heating process, where generally speaking and when the house is occupied, we'll heat the whole house to a comfortable temperature during the afternoons and over tea-time, and then once people are later settled into their living spaces for the evening, we'll turn off any radiators outside of those living spaces and only leave on the ones where people are settled for the night. Accepting that variations in outside temperatures make direct energy-use comparisons difficult, I think I've got a good enough handle on our historical week-to-week gas usage to clearly see that this shift to a more focussed radiator usage-pattern is already saving some further gas costs.

Our biggest revelation however, has come from a big improvement to the 'downstairs knocked-through living-rooms with a single undersized radiator' situation, where we were previously finding on the colder evenings that we needed regular addition heat from our poor-efficiency living-flame gas-fire to adequately heat that overly-large downstairs living area.

Given that replacing the under-sized radiator isn't something that's likely to happen this winter, we were toying with the idea of increasing the heat-output from the boiler to see if the existing radiator could be tempted to do a better job of warming our large downstairs rooms, but it was also in the back of my mind that we had a large pair of heavy, lined curtains at the back of our 'other room' in the knocked-through configuration, that offered up an opportunity to install an additional curtain-rail 'above and behind' the knocked-through dividing-wall that sits centrally to our large downstairs living area.

The idea behind this test was that for the sake of around £25 for a nice-looking curtain-rail, and the drilling of six holes to hold the rail-brackets above the wall-arch area, and where the rail and rail-brackets would then normally be 'invisible' from the side of the knocked-through rooms where we'd normally be located in our sitting area, it would be an interesting low-cost and low-impact experiment to see if halving that large knocked-through living space with a pair of heavy, lined-curtains would then allow the undersized-radiator in that 'thermally reduced' living space to be more efficiently heated.

And what a job it's done...

We missed out on trying this experiment in that really cold week at the start of December, but in the past 10 days or so where we have now been able to close those inter-dividing curtains during the evenings, we've felt a huge improvement in warmth and comfort, with clear confirmation on just what a good job those heavy curtains are doing being seen if we cross through them later in the evenings, from what is then a much warmer 'front room' area and into that 'back room' area beyond the curtains.

The temperature difference between the two 'rooms' is very noticeable, and has made a huge difference for us even taking into account the fact that we've already seen a marked difference only when using the undersized-radiator up to now, and so if and when the weather turns much colder again, similar to that first week in December, I fully expect that even if we need to use the gas-fire, we'll see an additionally-large comfort-benefit again from only having to use it to heat our smaller 'curtained-off room' capacity, where it's not also being asked to heat what would normally have been the larger twin-room configuration.

A few posts back, where I was discussing rolling twelve-month gas usage, I thought that the large reductions in kwh figures that we've managed to generate over recent years was probably the bulk of the low-hanging fruit, but after our recent move to a much more focussed radiator-usage pattern and this revelatory 'dividing-curtain' experiment, I'm now encouraged that we'll see some further meaningful kwh reductions in gas-usage this winter, but also beyond that, I'm happy to also now know that in a downstairs living area that we've had trouble making comfortable for many years now during these colder winter months, we'll also now be getting a higher level of comfort from the gas-heating that we are using, even beyond the gas that we're continuing to try and save...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Yes, barriers like thick curtains can make a big difference to how warm a room feels. Our living room is not huge, but has a large bay window (double-glazed). It is the largest source of heat loss in the room. It had a curtain to the floor, but we added a thermal blind behind the curtain in front of the bay. The combination of curtain plus thermal blind has made a big difference. I put a max/min thermometer in the bay behind the blind and the temperature in there overnight was about 5C lower than the main living room.

I too keep records of 12-month running average annual gas usage. In November this year it was 9250kWh. In November 2021 it was 14850kWh - more than a 1/3 reduction in 2 years. This was due to a combination of things: thermal blinds, improved loft insulation, underfloor insulation, new cavity wall insulation, reduced boiler flow temperature, thermostat set at 19C not 20C, and installation of an ASHP/aircon unit in the living room, which we run as heating when we have excess solar power on winter days (and as cooling on very hot days in the summer).

I am not sure there is much else I can do, but I am happy with the outcome.

FD

FD

Return to “Living Below Your Means”