Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Staying warm this winter

Making your money go further
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Staying warm this winter

Postby Itsallaguess » December 7th, 2022, 6:47 am

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 7th, 2022, 6:30 pm

Fort what it's worth, it can't be cold yet, 'cos my (small bottle of) extra-virgin olive oil is still a perfectly clear liquid.

Kitchen thermometer said 10.2 degrees this afternoon.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 7th, 2022, 6:54 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Fort what it's worth, it can't be cold yet, 'cos my (small bottle of) extra-virgin olive oil is still a perfectly clear liquid.

I have a maximum/minimum thermometer in my hallway and the lowest it ever recorded (January 1999, when the heating was out for a few days) was 10 degrees C.

It was an interesting science experiment, to see how cold it would get inside with no heating at all. Although at the time I was more worried about the water pipes freezing.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 7th, 2022, 7:38 pm

Lootman wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Fort what it's worth, it can't be cold yet, 'cos my (small bottle of) extra-virgin olive oil is still a perfectly clear liquid.

I have a maximum/minimum thermometer in my hallway and the lowest it ever recorded (January 1999, when the heating was out for a few days) was 10 degrees C.

It was an interesting science experiment, to see how cold it would get inside with no heating at all. Although at the time I was more worried about the water pipes freezing.

My bedroom is 9.3 degrees right now. The radiator's been off in there since 8.30 this morning, and I'll be putting it on again about 8pm.

Scott.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 7th, 2022, 7:43 pm

swill453 wrote:
Lootman wrote:

My bedroom is 9.3 degrees right now. The radiator's been off in there since 8.30 this morning, and I'll be putting it on again about 8pm.

The difference between Scotland and London, perhaps?

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 7th, 2022, 7:47 pm

Lootman wrote:
swill453 wrote:
Lootman wrote:

The difference between Scotland and London, perhaps?

Definitely, plus the fact the house is not (yet) particularly well insulated.

Scott.

doolally
Lemon Slice

Postby doolally » December 7th, 2022, 7:51 pm

swill453 wrote:
Lootman wrote:

Scott.

This is developing into a Four Yorkshiremen discussion :lol:
doolally

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 7th, 2022, 7:55 pm

I am not a Yorkshireman but am Scottish and in north central Scotland (where it is currently b****y cold). I do not care about the temperature in my bedroom but I do elsewhere in the house. It is amazing the difference when I close my curtains in my main sitting room against what I thought was pretty good double glazing. Also even just dropping down Venetian blinds in the kitchen makes an enormous difference. That will be my habit from now on. I have turned off the oil fired central heating and will just have my log burner going. I do not like warm bedrooms and prefer a nice 13.5 tog duvet.

Anyway it works for me.

Dod

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 7th, 2022, 8:00 pm

There is a curious 'macho' tone to some of the posts, as if it were a virtue to keep one's home half way to freezing and claim to be perfectly comfortable in such an environment as if there is something wrong with those of us who aren't.

This is how old people succumb to hypothermia. Determined to wait just another half an hour before they light the fire or turn the central heating ON. And then another half hour, and another and another, and slowly stop functioning...

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 7th, 2022, 8:05 pm

Mike4 wrote:There is a curious 'macho' tone to some of the posts, as if it were a virtue to keep one's home half way to freezing and claim to be perfectly comfortable in such an environment

Definitely not that here. The bedroom hasn't been used since this morning, and the lived-in section of the house is toasty.

Scott.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 7th, 2022, 9:16 pm

Mike4 wrote:There is a curious 'macho' tone to some of the posts, as if it were a virtue to keep one's home half way to freezing and claim to be perfectly comfortable in such an environment as if there is something wrong with those of us who aren't.

This is how old people succumb to hypothermia. Determined to wait just another half an hour before they light the fire or turn the central heating ON. And then another half hour, and another and another, and slowly stop functioning...

I am with swill on this and would not have a cold house but of course we need to be aware of costs.

Dod

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » December 8th, 2022, 6:36 am

Mike4 wrote:
This is how old people succumb to hypothermia.

Determined to wait just another half an hour before they light the fire or turn the central heating ON.

And then another half hour, and another and another, and slowly stop functioning...

In a period of very high energy costs, the idea of altering timing schedules seems enticing on the face of it, and I've certainly done so myself as part of my broader energy and cost-saving measures, but I think it's important that people who do so are going into things with a good understanding of the likely impact of any changes.

By this I mean that when a central heating system initially kicks in on a relatively 'cold house', a lot more energy is likely to be used in any given initial period, bringing the system and associated rooms up from their colder temperature, to a warmer one where things are then likely to eventually 'settle down' at a higher running-temperature some time later.

Once those higher temperatures are met by the central heating system, the broader tick-over costs to help maintain those warmer temperatures are *likely* to be much lower than the energy costs used to bring the system 'up to temperature' at the start of any given timing-schedule...

What this means is that if we have a central heating system that's normally on for 5 hours in the evening, and someone perhaps decides to drop that down to 4 hours usage, then anyone thinking that any subsequent cost-savings might be in the region of 20% is likely to be very disappointed, as the 1-hour 'saving' that they've made will be from the 'tick-over' period at the *back end* of the heating schedule, and not from the much more costly 'bringing the house up to temperature' period at the front end.

Those higher front-end costs are likely to always be there...

Which, as I said at the start of this post, is all fine if this is fully appreciated during any proposed changes to heating schedules, but I'm not sure this is always the case, and I wonder if some people might be quite willing to continue paying another hour of 'tick-over' costs if that's all they realise they'd be saving if they were to remove that hour's worth of warmer comfort from a given heating period...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 8th, 2022, 7:32 am

Worse (and it's not only old people) the otherwise intelligent general public has massive difficulty understanding even the most simple time switch programming, let alone the more sophisticated things like Hives, Nests and heaven forbid, weather compensation.

As a boiler techie visiting many homes a week I'm noticing fewer and fewer people using their programmers, preferring to set them to permanently ON and use the room thermostat as a switch to turn the rads on and off. This is compounded by the sheer breadth of designs and diverse setting methods for the many systems on the market.

When the occasional person asks me if I can set up the times on theirs "as I know about this sort of thing" (apparently), I politely explain it will probably cost them about £100 for me to spend an hour reading their manual and discussing their requirements with them to do it, at which point they (thankfully) elect to read the manual and do it themselves. Except they never will, obviously.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » December 8th, 2022, 8:03 am

Mike4 wrote:can set up the times on theirs

Times?
I can forgive them that but the folk I've met who turn up the thermostat because "the heating's not working - the radiators feel cold" can have a special place in hell

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 8th, 2022, 8:10 am

servodude wrote:

Times?
I can forgive them that but the folk I've met who turn up the thermostat because "the heating's not working - the radiators feel cold" can have a special place in hell

How about those who turn the room 'stat up to 30c "To warm it up in here quicker"?

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » December 8th, 2022, 8:15 am

Mike4 wrote:
servodude wrote:

Times?

How about those who turn the room 'stat up to 30c "To warm it up in here quicker"?

They would be in the same circle :(

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 8th, 2022, 8:26 am

servodude wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
servodude wrote:

Times?

They would be in the same circle :(

How about adults who go to the supermarket in a onesie?

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » December 8th, 2022, 8:28 am

doolally wrote:This is developing into a Four Yorkshiremen discussion :lol:
doolally

It were so cold this mornin' I 'ad to break th'ice in th'kettle.

And that were AFTER I'd boiled it.

Paul

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » December 8th, 2022, 9:59 am

Today it is bleedin' nippy dahn sarf as well :lol:

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 8th, 2022, 11:29 am

pje16 wrote:Today it is bleedin' nippy dahn sarf as well :lol:

Temp is rising here in Wiltshire and just hit 0c, according to my Nest.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”