Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0, for Donating to support the site

Energy Saving

Making your money go further
DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: Energy Saving

Postby DrFfybes » October 20th, 2022, 12:27 pm

AF62 wrote:
Snorvey wrote:I think one of the biggest factors is one that Dod alluded to. People are being very careful with their energy. Which isnt a bad thing.

Not sure about that at all.

We haven't reached the point in the year when many people turn their gas heating on anyway, or even if it is on it doesn't use much. At the moment the thermometer on my desk is showing 20.1C and the central heating although theoretically 'on' hasn't fired up any morning yet.

14-16C in our house depending on the time of day, and a lot of people around here have their heating on - condensing boilers are a giveaway :) MrsF visited family the other weekend, all had the heating on, although one is over 80 and another has terminal cancer.

88V8 wrote:Yes.
Although it will cost me, I welcome the increase in energy prices.
It will deter the profligacy with which many people heat their homes, use tumble dryers etc.

Tough for those who are skint. But on the whole a 'good thing'.

I agree that there is massive profligacy with energy use, large cars on walkable school runs, "essential" appliances that didn't exist 20 years ago, heating the whole house instead of the bits you use, food waste, throwaway fashion. Many young families grew up under Thatcher, consumerism, and the relatively properous times thereafter. When I was young we didn't put our heating on until 1973. Before that was a coal fire and back boiler, and a heating tube high up on a cold bathroom wall that my big sister used to push me against when I got out of the bath.

But I suspect many people on here have little idea how the truly poor end of society live, for a start we are all on the internet, which even on social tarrifs is £180/mont (iroically about the same as we pay after a bit of haggling). The chap next door in the 1990s was a 'doorstep lender', people were borrowing ten or 20 quid at extortionate rates simply to buy tinned food. He gave it up after under 12 months as he couldn't cope with seeing how people struggled. About 4 years ago I went around to my cleaner's 2 bed flat in a council block after one of her idiot teenagers (2 teenage boys sharing a room) had tried to unblock a sink by ramming a cloth down the pipe with a stick. Even back then the combi boiler was switched off at the wall, only coming on to fill a bath every few days, which they all used in turn. 2 lights on in the flat. No landline, internet, TV, one PAYG mobile between them (mainly for her work). She got a letter form the Inland Revenue, so we went though her bank to notify them of earnings, including all the benefits she was supporting a family of 3 on about £10k. I really hate to think hw she's struggling now, probably can't even afford the standing charges. Early last month we visited an old friend who has had problems, she's in a social housing flat in Devon. She measured the water into the kettle to make us tea. Prominent was the smart meter display, showing an incredible under £2 for the day including her shower. She's done her budgeting, and said that "if it reaches £3 I turn the lights off and go to bed" (and yet still fought us over paying for dinner). With the current cap and standing charges that is scary, and the £400 really will make a difference.

There wil be old people dying in their homes this winter from hypothermia, in the UK and across the rest of the so called developed world. And on the whole, I'm not too sure this is a 'good thing'.

Snorvey wrote:I'm on a 1 year deal until 31.12.22.

Scottish Power will only offer me a renewal on their variable rate (understandably).

The standing charge has remained pretty much at 50p per day (I'm currently paying 16p), but I'm not all that bothered about that.

The day rate has fluctuated between 30 to 50% more.

The quoted night rate was consistently higher by up to 50%, but is now marginally lower (!) than my current fixed rate deal

Last winter we paid 16.7p for electric and 2.84p for gas, standing charge was 46p for both. Total for the year £1517.
This winter we pay 32.1p for electric and 9.8p for gas, standing charge is 73p for both. Total this year is £1550 for electric and standong charge alone, and £3900 total. I doubled the direct debit in June in readiness for this.

We have no mortgage, car loans, or children, so our other big spends are house stuff (insurance, Council tax, phone/TV), and vehicle tax/insurance, largely unchanged at circa £5.5k.

But add in that food prices are 25-50% up on many items year on year, car fuel is 40% higher than 12 months ago, and I do wonder where this measly figure of 10% inflation comes from.

Paul

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » October 20th, 2022, 12:46 pm

pje16 wrote:
88V8 wrote:
pje16 wrote:
Mike4 wrote:But don't the fuel companies buy their fuel by making fixed price future contracts?

Yes they do, that is why so many of the Mickey Mouse ones that sprang up a few years ago went bust, they were clueless about that

Do you think they were clueless, or was it a deliberate decision because hedging costs money and their usp was to be cheap....
Too many of the cartoon companies were little more than Ponzis, and it is rather shameful that OFWAT just stood by and watched.

V8

There was a good programme on BBC I think (forget what it as called) that said they all jumped on board as pretty much anyone could set themselves up as an energy provider, they knew next to nothing about hedging so when prices became volatile they all lost out

Hedging, in this case, buying forward, can work both ways but it is rather hazardous to enter into contracts to supply fuel at a given price for the next 12 months, such as the fixed price contract that Snorvey has and that I had until mid September without some sort of hedge. So the drop in the wholesale price at the moment will probably not feed through to the retail side for some time as I bet most of the suppliers now have forward contracts for supply at a much higher price.

Dod

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » October 20th, 2022, 2:43 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
AF62 wrote:
Snorvey wrote:I think one of the biggest factors is one that Dod alluded to. People are being very careful with their energy. Which isnt a bad thing.

We haven't reached the point in the year when many people turn their gas heating on anyway, or even if it is on it doesn't use much. At the moment the thermometer on my desk is showing 20.1C and the central heating although theoretically 'on' hasn't fired up any morning yet.

14-16C in our house depending on the time of day, and a lot of people around here have their heating on - condensing boilers are a giveaway :)

Perhaps more insulation needed?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » October 20th, 2022, 2:50 pm

AF62 wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:
AF62 wrote:

14-16C in our house depending on the time of day, and a lot of people around here have their heating on - condensing boilers are a giveaway :)

Insulation will not warm a cold house, although once it is warmed by the boiler being on for an hour or so (in my case anyway) my house will keep reasonably warm for some time. Like DrFfybes my house is about 15C when I get up in the morning.

Dod

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » October 20th, 2022, 4:25 pm

DrFfybes wrote:When I was young we didn't put our heating on until 1973.

:lol:

I liked that!

DrFfybes wrote:Before that was a coal fire and back boiler, and a heating tube high up on a cold bathroom wall that my big sister used to push me against when I got out of the bath.

You had a "big sister" too? :|

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » October 20th, 2022, 4:37 pm

XFool wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:Before that was a coal fire and back boiler,

Hang on, coal fire, back boiler, natural circulation, no electricity needed.

Just the thing for rolling power cuts !!

Now that's what I call energy security.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » October 20th, 2022, 7:16 pm

Dod101 wrote:
AF62 wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:
AF62 wrote:

Insulation will not warm a cold house, although once it is warmed by the boiler being on for an hour or so (in my case anyway) my house will keep reasonably warm for some time. Like DrFfybes my house is about 15C when I get up in the morning.

Dod

Probably less insulation needed - it is usally warmer outside than inside by mid morning, at least at the North end of the house which is the converted cold store and MrsF's office :)

But seriously with solid 9 inch 1780s walls, solid floors (stone slabs on compacted earth), eaves that drop into the bedrooms below head height so only 4 inches between ceiling and roof tiles, then any extra insulation measures are very expensive compared to potential payback. We were estimated £30-35k to excavate and insulate the floors (and that's without underfloor heating), £60k+ to re-roof and insert a PIR board layer, and the walls either need insulating external render or internal studding, replaster and new skirtings, wiring, etc. Add in replacing 20-odd windows and 5 sets of doors and it's probably as cheap to knock it down and start again.

Lovely views though :)

Paul

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » October 20th, 2022, 9:04 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
AF62 wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:
AF62 wrote:

Dod

Probably less insulation needed - it is usally warmer outside than inside by mid morning, at least at the North end of the house which is the converted cold store and MrsF's office :)

But seriously with solid 9 inch 1780s walls, solid floors (stone slabs on compacted earth), eaves that drop into the bedrooms below head height so only 4 inches between ceiling and roof tiles, then any extra insulation measures are very expensive compared to potential payback. We were estimated £30-35k to excavate and insulate the floors (and that's without underfloor heating), £60k+ to re-roof and insert a PIR board layer, and the walls either need insulating external render or internal studding, replaster and new skirtings, wiring, etc. Add in replacing 20-odd windows and 5 sets of doors and it's probably as cheap to knock it down and start again.

Lovely views though :)

Paul

That is interesting because apart from your solid floors, it pretty well describes my original cottage, built around 1840 as far as I can discover. Around 1992 or so it was significantly extended by at least double the floor area of the cottage and this part is well insulated, under the floors as well as in the loft space and double glazed windows (which the cottage has as well) Being all on one level and with lots of exterior walls it will never be optimal in terms of conserving heat but it works well enough for me as I do not like warm bedrooms anyway so tend to heat them only in the coldest weather. My electricity on the new tariff costs only about £2.50 per day which I think is good, that is for lighting and cooking primarily.

Hot water and central heating is by an oil fired boiler and I have a woodburner. Altogether my energy costs are not cheap but never mind.

Dod

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » October 24th, 2022, 10:51 am

Snorvey wrote:Quite remarkable this morning

Trading Economics report UK gas has fallen another 13% this morning to 172 from a high of 650

https://grid.iamkate.com/ suggesting UK electricity prices at £20-40 per MW/h

Energy Stats showing the whole sale price of electricity at 7pence KW/h down from the high 50's.

The weather is mild of course and storage tanks are full. That could all change!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ld-weather

We're hoping for a very short, very mild winter!

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » October 26th, 2022, 7:56 pm

I commend this to the house :

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » October 26th, 2022, 11:54 pm

Snorvey wrote:Quite remarkable this morning

Trading Economics report UK gas has fallen another 13% this morning to 172 from a high of 650

https://grid.iamkate.com/ suggesting UK electricity prices at £20-40 per MW/h

Energy Stats showing the whole sale price of electricity at 7pence KW/h down from the high 50's.

The weather is mild of course and storage tanks are full. That could all change!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ld-weather

Point of Order M'Lud....

May I tactfully but pickily point out there is no such thing as MW/h or KW/h? (Except in the rare situation when one is measuring the rate of change of power consumption.)

The units of energy (apart from Joules, the actual SI unit of energy) for the purposes of pricing would be MegaWattHours or kiloWattHours, abbreviated to mWh or kWh. Power x time.

Thank you for your post though, the main thrust of which is very illuminating.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » October 29th, 2022, 9:53 am

88V8 wrote:Is it not possible to buy white goods that do not have a standby mode... never used to be that way, but if I think about it even we in our technophobic household have two radios, oven, microwave…
Many appliances do not need to be always on, but if one switches them off a tedious resetting process ensues.

Since the EU directive on standby power consumption (2017) the usage of devices has fallen A LOT. In most case to way below the EU directive level (allows 3-12W) and typically only 0.5-2W.

So all that useless bureaucracy does do some good. Devices that predate that can often be MUCH more power hungry.

(And yes I know we’ve left. But mostly the same devices get sold worldwide)

;)

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » October 29th, 2022, 10:05 am

Mike4 wrote:Point of Order M'Lud....

May I tactfully but pickily point out there is no such thing as MW/h or KW/h? (Except in the rare situation when one is measuring the rate of change of power consumption.)

The units of energy (apart from Joules, the actual SI unit of energy) for the purposes of pricing would be MegaWattHours or kiloWattHours, abbreviated to mWh or kWh. Power x time.

Point of Order M'Lud... :)

Shouldn't that be MWh (and kWh)? As "mWh" would be milli Watt hours.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » October 29th, 2022, 10:25 am

XFool wrote:
Mike4 wrote:Point of Order M'Lud....

Point of Order M'Lud... :)

Shouldn't that be MWh (and kWh)? As "mWh" would be milli Watt hours.

Good point, yes!

I though it look faintly wrong when I typed it. This would be why. I blame the covid brain fog....

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » November 2nd, 2022, 5:21 pm

Snorvey wrote:We might come close to that again today. Its breezy out.

[Edit]. I think we got more than 20gw earlier today. Bloomberg are reporting a new record for today (I think - they just say record broken again, Wednesday)

https://www.energylivenews.com/2022/10/ ... on-record/

From our gable window I can see the Moray East Wind Farm support vessel "Alba" sheltering in the bay.......windy.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » November 3rd, 2022, 12:00 pm

On the energy saving issue, as I am now away from home I can accurately see that the measures I took this summer to reduce background electricity use have been successful and my house is now using 1 kWh a day less than previous, down from 4.5 to 3.5 (so an average of 150w).

Without substantial additional changes which would impact on the remote monitoring of the house, then I doubt any further changes will have a significant impact.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 3rd, 2022, 12:05 pm

Snorvey wrote:

Onshore and offshore wind farms across the UK generated a record amount of electricity on Wednesday.

It is estimated that Britain’s wind turbines provided more than half of Britain’s electricity – the new record of 19,936MW of electricity was set between 11.30am and 12 noon, beating the previous record of 19.916MW on 25th May this year.

We might come close to that again today. Its breezy out.

[Edit]. I think we got more than 20gw earlier today. Bloomberg are reporting a new record for today (I think - they just say record broken again, Wednesday)

https://www.energylivenews.com/2022/10/ ... on-record/

I have flat calm today and the few turbines I can see are hardly turning. I would have though that yesterday's wind might have required the turbines to be switched off or whatever the term is. Anyway, good news.

Dod

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » November 3rd, 2022, 12:27 pm

Snorvey wrote:Some of the changes may seems quite small, but when you add them up and spread them over, say 50% of 28 million households........

.... then they become even smaller?

;)

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » November 3rd, 2022, 12:34 pm

Snorvey wrote:Completed List.

Turned Heating down.
Turned fridge up
Turned hotwater down
Fill up a flask of boiling water on E7 for tea/coffee.
Staying in kitchen/dining room longer harvesting post cooking oven heat
Rinse dishes in cold water (after washing in hot!)
All bulbs now LED.
Close window coverings as soon as it's dark.
Use Washing Machine only on E7 & using a shorter/cooler program
Use Shower only on E7
Thermal Baselayer (only the top at the moment, bottoms later)
Thermal fingerless gloves
Thermal socks
Electric footwarmer
USB electric fingerless gloves.
Put a bigger bag of insulation above loft door.

Next year. Consider HHR Storage heater / solar panels / battery / heat pump / improved cavity wall insulation.

I think that's it. So basically just a change in habits. Some of the changes may seems quite small, but when you add them up and spread them over, say 50% of 28 million households........

I fitted one of these around our hot water cylinder that has spray foam insulation. Mrs BD now complains the airing cupboard isn't warm enough now. So, it's doing it's job.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/hot-water-cy ... 19mm/43483

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » November 3rd, 2022, 12:37 pm

BullDog wrote:lion households........

I fitted one of these around our hot water cylinder that has spray foam insulation. Mrs BD now complains the airing cupboard isn't warm enough now. So, it's doing it's job.
[/quote]
Hey ho, sometimes, no matter how hard you try, you just can't win :lol:

Return to “Living Below Your Means”