Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

LIDL 'Low GI' Bread - Delicious!

Making your money go further
Dranz100

LIDL 'Low GI' Bread - Delicious!

Postby Dranz100 » March 3rd, 2017, 9:55 pm

Ahhh!, here you all are!
It's been a while! It's good to see many familiar names over hear on the other side....Is this the afterlife? :D

I just wanted to mention LIDL's 'Low GI'/Nutty Cob, which I'm nutty about. It's a brown ball of deliciousness.
If you haven't tried it but you're a "Liddleesta" , pick one up next time your in. It's about £1.10.
Dranz

berkstunt

Re: LIDL 'Low GI' Bread - Delicious!

Postby berkstunt » March 5th, 2017, 11:42 am

Trouble is: The bread display at my Lidl (at least) is completely uncovered and unprotected. It's in a main gangway too.
I see lots of customers handling the loaves or just breathing and snorting over it.
For that reason, I don't even consider buying any.

iain123

Postby iain123 » March 6th, 2017, 10:05 am

+1 we have it all the time too. Its almost bread that doesn't need butter or jam its that good.

toofast2live
Lemon Slice

Postby toofast2live » March 6th, 2017, 2:55 pm

berkstunt wrote:Trouble is: The bread display at my Lidl (at least) is completely uncovered and unprotected. It's in a main gangway too.
I see lots of customers handling the loaves or just breathing and snorting over it.

Builds up your immune system. But the germs at Waitrose are far more polite :lol: :lol: :lol:

WrenChasen
2 Lemon pips

Postby WrenChasen » March 10th, 2017, 6:12 pm

berkstunt wrote:Trouble is: The bread display at my Lidl (at least) is completely uncovered and unprotected. It's in a main gangway too.

Oh, yes...I avoid any sort of uncovered food display like the plague (or maybe that should be in order to avoid the plague), no matter where I shop. Upper class, middle class - it's all the same to your average germ; they really don't differentiate. The antics of some shoppers and unsupervised children around those displays can be hair-raising. :shock:

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 11th, 2017, 5:39 am

WrenChasen wrote:Oh, yes...I avoid any sort of uncovered food display like the plague (or maybe that should be in order to avoid the plague), no matter where I shop. Upper class, middle class - it's all the same to your average germ; they really don't differentiate. The antics of some shoppers and unsupervised children around those displays can be hair-raising. :shock:

You must find it quite difficult to buy fruit and vegetables then.

Scott.

berkstunt

Postby berkstunt » March 12th, 2017, 12:17 pm

Builds up your immune system.

Try telling that to my nephew who died, not from injuries (severe) received from a RTA, but from simple MRSA
in the hospital. This was before the national outcry resulting in the installation of the anti-bacterial dispensers
at every entrance. It was reckoned at the time that the mere handling of the ubiquitous ball-pen by nurses and
doctors was more than enough to transmit billions of germs. Just think of all those people (us included) who
involuntarily rub their nose or cough into their hands before handling your loaf of bread!

But the germs at Waitrose are far more polite

Probably true. But the germs from Jane Austen characters at Waitrose are likely just as potent as those of
Wayne & Waynetta at Asda!

WrenChasen
2 Lemon pips

Postby WrenChasen » March 13th, 2017, 11:26 am

swill453 wrote:
WrenChasen wrote:Oh, yes...I avoid any sort of uncovered food display like the plague (or maybe that should be in order to avoid the plague), no matter where I shop. Upper class, middle class - it's all the same to your average germ; they really don't differentiate. The antics of some shoppers and unsupervised children around those displays can be hair-raising. :shock:

You must find it quite difficult to buy fruit and vegetables then.

You can wash fruit and vegetables...

Pipsmum
Lemon Slice

Postby Pipsmum » April 24th, 2017, 10:32 am

Buy the Lidl strong white flour and some yeast. Get sterilised bread in your own oven. Only your own breath on that.

75p for 1.5kg of flour and that makes three large or six small round loaves. (Plus the yeast price and a little oil)
Their own range of prepared loaf flour is £1.09 for 1kg and that makes four small round loaves.

Small round loaf using 250g of flour (and half a yeast sachet if using plain flour).

Fun to make, cheap and tasty.

BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Postby BusyBumbleBee » April 26th, 2017, 10:26 am

Hmmm..... But they don't keep. Which is why they are washed just before they go to the supermarket. Washing them bruises them, breaks the surface and then all the germs are spread over the whole surface of the vegetable by the water. Using a salad drier tool which spins the salads merely exacerbates the problem.

Try Potassium Permanganate for safety : see http://www.livestrong.com/article/30362 ... egetables/

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 26th, 2017, 10:29 am

BusyBumbleBee wrote:Hmmm..... But they don't keep. Which is why they are washed just before they go to the supermarket. Washing them bruises them, breaks the surface and then all the germs are spread over the whole surface of the vegetable by the water. Using a salad drier tool which spins the salads merely exacerbates the problem.

Try Potassium Permanganate for safety : see http://www.livestrong.com/article/30362 ... egetables/

Or chill out, eat what you want, and build up your natural immunity.

Scott.

BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Postby BusyBumbleBee » April 26th, 2017, 2:16 pm

Or chill out, eat what you want, and build up your natural immunity.

I had put in to my previous reply - "when I want to eat a raw carrot - I simply pull it up - wipe it on my trousers - and eat it." but deleted it before posting.

I do not use Potassium Permanganate now. However when I was in Africa I did (when I remembered). I still don't eat salads though, cos I see them growing every day as I walk with my dogs past an organic glasshouse nursery on the way to my wood and what I see appals me.

kind regards - BBB

piccadilly
2 Lemon pips

Postby piccadilly » May 2nd, 2017, 6:08 pm

Thank you for the tip on this.

Tried it at the weekend - excellent bread!

I also recommend the Norwegian Smoked Salmon from Lidl.

Now back to my share portfolio.

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » May 2nd, 2017, 10:01 pm

BusyBumbleBee wrote:

When I was the executive chef of the Sheraton Hotel in Cotonou, Bénin, all our fruit and salad stuff to be served raw was washed in a Potassium Permanganate solution. Was hotel policy.

john

BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Postby BusyBumbleBee » May 3rd, 2017, 7:36 am

piccadilly wrote:Thank you for the tip on this.

I too can recommend the Norwegian Smoked Salmon (and the evaporated milk and bread flour) so on the recommendation of this thread I bought a loaf of this bread. Tried one slice and then decided to bake a batch of my bread - for a really full flavour. Fed the rest of the LIDL loaf to the birds.

Dod1010
Lemon Quarter

Postby Dod1010 » May 3rd, 2017, 8:29 am

It is a serious point about the spreading of germs and anyone who has personal experience of MRSA say will hold strong views. I have had no experience of that but I have to say that nowadays we are I am sure damaging our immune systems by not exposing them to a certain amount of natural germs so as to build up our immune systems. It simply was not an issue when I was growing up and most commodities at a grocers were sold loose and must have been exposed to all sorts of bugs.

That does not help us today of course and I am inclined to agree about Lidl's display of bread in particular, which tends in mine at least to be on the lower shelves, and bread does not lend itself to the use of tongs even if everyone were inclined to use them.

Dod

piccadilly
2 Lemon pips

Postby piccadilly » May 3rd, 2017, 7:40 pm

BusyBumbleBee wrote:
piccadilly wrote:Thank you for the tip on this.

I too can recommend the Norwegian Smoked Salmon (and the evaporated milk and bread flour) so on the recommendation of this thread I bought a loaf of this bread. Tried one slice and then decided to bake a batch of my bread - for a really full flavour. Fed the rest of the LIDL loaf to the birds.

Could you publish the recipe for your bread?

BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Postby BusyBumbleBee » May 4th, 2017, 8:47 am

Of course - but not today - remind me if I haven't done it in a week.

In the meanwhile look here https://www.sustainweb.org/realbread/

BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Postby BusyBumbleBee » May 30th, 2017, 5:59 pm

Here goes

Equipment :
AGA with fan oven set to 220C.
Breville SHM2 Twin Hand and Stand Mixer with twin spiral dough 'hooks' see https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1 - the spirals use less energy than planetary mxers and don't throw flour all over the place.
Ceramic lined baking tins (2lb and 1lb)
Ingredients : Lidl white bread flour (best on the market1), salt, sugar, unsalted butter, Allinson's Dried active yeast, skimmed milk powder

Note : within limits - the longer the time it takes the stronger the flavour you will get.

Method :

Activate yeast (in the bowl of the mixer) : by adding 960 gms of tepid water, 1 teaspoon of sugar, two teaspoons of flour and 3 teaspoons of the dried yeast with 75 gms of dried skimmed milk - could use 960 gms of milk of course instead; Turn on the mixer for about a minute on speed one to mix in to the water. Leave to ferment for as long as you like but not less than 20 minutes and probably not more than 3-4 hours.

Turn the mixer on and carefully pour in half of a 1.5 Kg bag of Lidls flour. Leave to mix until you have a thickish gruel and then add 75 gms softened butter and after another minute add 3 teaspoons of salt and the rest of the flour not too fast. leave the mixer running for 9 minutes exactly. It is a good idea to hold a tea towel close to the top of the mixer to prevent any escape of flour for the first minute or two,

Leave in the mixer to relax the dough for a bit (say 10 minutes) and then turn out the dough onto a floured surface. Give it a Hamelman fold and leave it on the board as a ball see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1C7a11q_YE & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnxiawZoL4A Actually it is well worth looking at all his videos as he is the world champion baker!

Don't' put it in a bowl - flour it lightly and leave it on the board covered with a a teatowel. (I have some silicon sheets (bought from LIDL) which I Put over the dough ball to protect the tea towel.)

You can do as many more Hamelman folds as you like - every 45 minutes to 1 hour or so. The more you do (up to four) the better the flavour of the finished bread.

lightly grease (oil or butter) three 2lb loaf tins and one 1lb tin and leave them in a warm place (I use the top of the AGA in a tray on top of a board)

You should have 1500 + 960 + 100 gms = 2560 gms of dough.
Scale the dough: take 300 gms of dough and shape it for the 1lb tin (see the Hamelman video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmxDKuGLWuE) : then divide the rest into three equal pieces, shape them and put them into the 2lb tins. flour the top of the loaves and leave them in a warm place until the centre of the loaf is about 2 cms above the rim of the tin. The slower the rise (within limits) the better the flavour.

Then bake them in an oven preheated to 220 C (with fan) for about 35 to 40 minutes. Steam the oven at the beginning of the bake if you can. Check they are cooked by tapping the bottom of the loaf and leave them to cool, They can be frozen as soon as they are cooled and used later.

You can use this mix to make rolls and muffins is you want. You can also make wholemeal bread as well.

Enjoy

Return to “Living Below Your Means”