Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

RIP My perfectly working Sony Trinitron

Making your money go further
Dranz100

RIP My perfectly working Sony Trinitron

Postby Dranz100 » March 3rd, 2017, 10:14 pm

I wanted to share this with you my fellow tightar.......careful spenders!
9 years ago we bought a Sony Trinitron off ebay for £80 as our main/only family telly. It's a monster: 32" and takes two men to lift it.
I bought it off a guy who had paid £1,200 for it new, when it was the peak of TV technology.
It's Scart only, but works with the Wii, DVD player, Humax Freesat PVR, and I even bought a HDMI-to-Scart box so we could run the xbox and laptops through it (the conversion is a bit ropey).
It still works perfectly, but I've finally succumbed to family pressure, and we've bought one of these new fangled LED things (they'll never catch on! :D ), and so the Trinitron is going to be scrapped.
It just feels wrong....it works like it did on the day it left the shop...I feel like I've got an immaculate 1980s Mercedes E class, and I'm sending it to the crusher!

Dranz

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Re: RIP My perfectly working Sony Trinitron

Postby supremetwo » March 4th, 2017, 1:34 am

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Re: RIP My perfectly working Sony Trinitron

Postby Clariman » March 4th, 2017, 9:11 am

ap8889 wrote:In my misspent youth I spent time working in a Sony facility manufacturing and packing many thousand of said televisions.....
All in all it was a great experience, and it passed on genuine appreciation of how much banter and fun you can have with some quality lads, but also how bad some people have it at work. It certainly ensured I put some effort in to study as the thought of assembly line work forever was not appealing!

And people ask "whatever happened to British industry?" ;)

Return to “Living Below Your Means”