Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

The Awfulness of E.ON Next

Making your money go further
Kantwebefriends
Lemon Slice

The Awfulness of E.ON Next

Postby Kantwebefriends » June 16th, 2023, 2:28 pm

Our electricity supplier is driving me up the wall with its incompetence and inability to answer simple questions. If, out of despair, I swap to a different supplier (i) Is there any realistic chance I can save money on our bills, and (ii) Can I avoid having to fit a smart meter?

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: The Awfulness of E.ON Next

Postby monabri » June 16th, 2023, 2:53 pm

They really are crap!

viewtopic.php?p=580617#p580617

And

viewtopic.php?p=595193#p595193

They have been truly woeful and have, in my opinion, committed several offences...making up bills, ignoring 12m carry back rules, asking me to take on someone else's debt and demanding I break GDPR regulations.

I'd definitely change supplier ASAP.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » June 16th, 2023, 4:09 pm

Kantwebefriends wrote:Our electricity supplier is driving me up the wall with its incompetence and inability to answer simple questions. If, out of despair, I swap to a different supplier (i) Is there any realistic chance I can save money on our bills, and (ii) Can I avoid having to fit a smart meter?

At present suppliers rates are much the same but there are different unit rate splits between day and night if you have Economy 7. I recently switched to E.ON because most of my usage is at the night rate and their night rate is only 15.7p compared to SO Energy's 24p. I haven't had any problems with them.

You can decline to have a Smart Meter (as I have). If your meter is very old, they may say its' certification has expired and you must have a new meter, but you can elect to have a new dumb meter, not a smart meter. They will try to deny that but tell them you have Bees and so can't have one!
https://stopsmartmeters.org/2011/06/24/ ... ting-bees/

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » June 16th, 2023, 5:27 pm

Basically, 'no and 'no' are the answers if you are on a standard 24/7 tariff and don't have solar panels. All companies are charging pretty much the same on their standard rate, as it is govt capped.

scrumpyjack wrote:You can decline to have a Smart Meter (as I have). If your meter is very old, they may say its' certification has expired and you must have a new meter, but you can elect to have a new dumb meter, not a smart meter. They will try to deny that but tell them you have Bees and so can't have one!
https://stopsmartmeters.org/2011/06/24/ ... ting-bees/

Of course if you have a Dect phone, a mobile phone, wifi router, live near a power line or phone mast, then the bee arguement is pretty tenuous :)

Paul

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » June 16th, 2023, 5:51 pm

You certainly can refuse to have a Smart Meter. Just say no.

per Citizens Advice Bureau
"You don't have to accept a smart meter if you don't want one. If your supplier tells you that you must have one installed, contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline."

I have found it easier to switch suppliers periodically when they get too pushy.

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Postby Laughton » June 16th, 2023, 6:01 pm

I guess I'm the odd one out - have been with e.On since my last supplier went bust and so far no problems.

They just emailed me to tell me that their rates are going down from July 1st and they are lowering my direct debit from the next collection. Every liitle helps.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » June 16th, 2023, 8:36 pm

I have had terrible trouble with Ovo. I now have an Ombudsman judgement in my favour. I am hoping that the problem will be sorted out soon - after nearly a year. A long and tedious tale. It all started with my electricity meter failing and Ovo telling me I had to agree to them fitting smart meters to fix it...

raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Postby raybarrow » June 17th, 2023, 8:28 am

Hi Folks,
I guess I'm the odd one out - have been with e.On since my last supplier went bust and so far no problems.

They just emailed me to tell me that their rates are going down from July 1st and they are lowering my direct debit from the next collection. Every liitle helps

You are not alone. I've been with e.On next for a while now and had no problems and yes they have just announced a price drop estimated approx £500 a year. I worked most of my life in the industry, Norweb, MEB and nPower. I still think allowing the world and his wife to set up an electricity supply company was a big mistake, although share wise I did very well thank you. It's not like any other commodity. You can't put it on a shelf, in a box, you can't touch (well maybe just the once) it almost doesn't exist, you can't steal it (you have to 'absract' it), but it works. Strange stuff.

Cheers,
Ray.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » June 17th, 2023, 9:53 am

Laughton wrote:I guess I'm the odd one out - have been with e.On since my last supplier went bust and so far no problems.

They just emailed me to tell me that their rates are going down from July 1st and they are lowering my direct debit from the next collection. Every liitle helps.

I can't complain about them. When I was considering switching to them a couple of months ago they gave me a quote I could not believe - the night time rate was negative!! So I accepted it. Of course it was a mistake in their system due to the way they quote a high price and then deduct the subsidy or cap or whatever. Anyway they wrote explaining the error but said they would honour the price for the first couple of months. They gave me a credit of £359 being what they estimated the value of the error was!

I do get calls about getting a smart meter but have blocked the number on my phone :D

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » June 17th, 2023, 11:43 am

Kantwebefriends wrote:If, out of despair, I swap to a different supplier (i) Is there any realistic chance I can save money on our bills, and (ii) Can I avoid having to fit a smart meter?

Yes you can save money if you change suppliers but only you have a smart meter. Octopus do a whole range of tariffs for both electricity and gas that can be cheaper than a standard tariff, but do require a smart meter.

However if you don't want a smart meter and are content paying the standard price, then I would suggest picking the supplier with the best customer service.

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Postby funduffer » June 21st, 2023, 9:34 am

Kantwebefriends wrote:Our electricity supplier is driving me up the wall with its incompetence and inability to answer simple questions. If, out of despair, I swap to a different supplier (i) Is there any realistic chance I can save money on our bills, and (ii) Can I avoid having to fit a smart meter?

Why don't you want a smart meter?

It opens up a whole new raft of tariffs which will save you money.

I had one fitted by Eon a few years ago and it has worked faultlessly since then, and enabled me to get some of Octopus's innovative tariffs, that has saved my £100's. I switched from Eon, just so I could access these tariffs.

FD

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » June 21st, 2023, 10:35 am

Eon have just notified me of a reduction in our electric and gas tariffs wef 1st July.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”