Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

"Retired and living on £11k a year – this is how I spend my money"

Making your money go further
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Re: "Retired and living on £11k a year – this is how I spend my money"

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » October 26th, 2023, 11:50 am

Tedx wrote:My mother lived quite happily on her state pension and I know of many others that do.

She had ate well (although not very much!), heated her 1 bed flat, had her Freeview, went to her bingo twice a week (local club bingo not the national/chain bingo), where she had a social drink or 2 with her mates (again, club prices), bought 2 newspapers a day for her crosswords. She didn't have a car (everything was bought local - butchers, bakers, paper shop, local Co-op etc), if she need to go anywhere we would take her....but she did have a free buspass if needed. She was entitled to free prescriptions, eye tests etc. No rent to pay, but she did pay council tax.

She was happy with her lot.

Err ... Ted you forget to mention your Mum's legacy, which she left to us all :roll:

You :)

My Mum died just a little under 2 years ago. She had spent her life cutting her cloth to suit. She lived within her means, was financially independent and went to the pub quiz every Thursday night. My Dad died in 1990, and looking at the date the anniversary of his death is 5 days away. Mum never remarried or shared her life with anyone after Dad died. She survived him for 30 years.

Parents are never perfect. They managed to show me how to live within my means though :)

Take care

AiY(D)

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » October 26th, 2023, 12:02 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
Parents are never perfect. They managed to show me how to live within my means though :)

Take care

AiY(D)

...and they do give you the odd 'head in hands' moment.

Slightly off topic, but I recall suggesting to her that I would get her a Google Home thing to help her with the crosswords (purely because some of the clues were quite modern in their nature re technology etc). After explaining what it was and how it worked, she was initially quite keen, so I told her to leave it with me.

Anyway, a couple of weeks later I went down one Saturday morning and she started off with a mini rant about 'not wanting one of those Google things in her house' and how they were 'a load of rubbish' and so on and so on. I wondered where she had gained the information to formulate such a strong opinion.

Turned out she'd accidentally switched over to 'Googlebox' the night before.....

ouzo

Postby ouzo » October 26th, 2023, 12:56 pm

The article mentions annual outgoings of £4,495, including £1,200 energy bills, £400 car insurance and £60 vet bills. So there's £2,800-odd not itemised, which I guess would include council tax.

Ann

toofast2live
Lemon Slice

Postby toofast2live » October 26th, 2023, 1:47 pm

Thought I’d posted this but must have got lost. For us two in rural 3 bed cottage.
Essentials
220 council tax
200 heating
30 water
70 car/house insurance (soon to go up mega)
280 food/groceries/house stuff
70 petrol
40 repairs/mot/car maintenance fund

910 so about £11,000!

Nice to haves
30 broadband
30 TV licence fee/newspaper/Netflix
25 gifts and presents for extended family
30 clothes
30 dental plan
10 2 sim payg
40 house maintenance/ machine/laptop replacement fund

195 so about £2,400

Live a little
80 pub/takeaways
15 Books/magazines
40 cinema/theatre/rugby match
400 holidays/holiday insurance (not cheap at 70!)

535 so about £6,400

Wouldn’t want less than net £20,000 Pa for us.

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » October 26th, 2023, 2:10 pm

Looking at next months predicted expenditure, so all the direct debits/standing orders etc less the money automatically going in to savings that comes to ~£370 add onto that last months credit card bill (which looks to be a low to average month) of ~£570 that comes out at ~£940 or £11,280 per year. That doesn't include anything for holidays etc but does include alcohol/drinks that could definitely be cut back a bit. So £11k a year definitely looks doable.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 26th, 2023, 4:00 pm

didds wrote:
Lootman wrote:Impressive but presumably possible only because he appears to have no housing costs, not even council tax.

How is he avoiding council tax given he owns his own house etc ? Thats not a dig, I dont see how he manages that? (or I missed it in the article!)

Over a certain age (75?) you don't have to pay council tax, I believe, but that does not appear to apply here.

If you live in someone else's property, say as a guest or lodger, you do not have to pay it.

Other than that I would love to know as well.

toofast2live
Lemon Slice

Postby toofast2live » October 26th, 2023, 4:11 pm

Lootman wrote:
didds wrote:How is he avoiding council tax given he owns his own house etc ? Thats not a dig, I dont see how he manages that? (or I missed it in the article!)

Over a certain age (75?) you don't have to pay council tax, I believe, but that does not appear to apply here.

If you live in someone else's property, say as a guest or lodger, you do not have to pay it.

Nope, everyone over 18 pays icouncil tax, with some very limited exceptions and certainly not a blanket exemption for over 75s, 80s etc. but no,not if you’re a lodger or guest. It’s levied on the homeowner. £11,000 only really possible if in a small house with minimal council tax and heating and preferably no car.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 26th, 2023, 4:17 pm

toofast2live wrote:
Lootman wrote:Over a certain age (75?) you don't have to pay council tax, I believe, but that does not appear to apply here.

Nope, everyone over 18 pays icouncil tax, with some very limited exceptions and certainly not a blanket exemption for over 75s, 80s etc. but no,not if you’re a lodger or guest. It’s levied on the homeowner. £11,000 only really possible if in a small house with minimal council tax and heating and preferably no car.

It is levied on the occupant and not necessarily on the homeowner. Tenants pay the council tax, not the landlord.

I recall my mother stopped paying council tax at some age. I thought it was 75 but could be wrong about that. Means tested, perhaps?

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » October 26th, 2023, 4:26 pm

Lootman wrote:Over a certain age (75?) you don't have to pay council tax, I believe, but that does not appear to apply here.

There is normally a 25% discount for a single occupant (normal council tax assumes 2 or more occupants), but I don't think there is any discount based on age

--kiloran

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 26th, 2023, 4:30 pm

kiloran wrote:

There is normally a 25% discount for a single occupant (normal council tax assumes 2 or more occupants), but I don't think there is any discount based on age

--kiloran

In my mother's case it was not a discount. She did not have to pay it at all. Nor was it claimed back from her estate.

This was 15-20 years ago, so whatever deal she was on may not be available any more.

mike
Lemon Slice

Postby mike » October 26th, 2023, 4:31 pm

Lootman wrote:I recall my mother stopped paying council tax at some age. I thought it was 75 but could be wrong about that. Means tested, perhaps?

If you are diagnosed with dementia, then Council Tax is zero. There may also be other conditions of which I am unaware. This happened to my mother before she had to move into care.

toofast2live
Lemon Slice

Postby toofast2live » October 26th, 2023, 4:57 pm

Yes if you’re on certain benefits or income supplements then yes.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 26th, 2023, 5:00 pm

toofast2live wrote:Yes if you’re on certain benefits or income supplements then yes.

Ah that must have been it. She was on pension credit.

And it was means tested as I recall.

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » October 26th, 2023, 7:13 pm

Oh yes, bus pass free.

wanderer
2 Lemon pips

Postby wanderer » October 27th, 2023, 1:17 am

toofast2live wrote:Wouldn’t want less than net £20,000 Pa for us.

Isn't that all covered by the state pension?

toofast2live
Lemon Slice

Postby toofast2live » October 27th, 2023, 10:13 am

Not everyone gets the full SP

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » October 27th, 2023, 3:43 pm

y0rkiebar wrote:
Charlottesquare wrote:No idea how he survives on that. My Council tax is circa £3,000 (appreciate he gets single person discount) my TV/Internet is circa £1,500, house insurance £600, Heat & Light now £3,000, gas checks/boiler etc maint £600. If I add costs re repairs (roof repair next month £960) and food/dishwasher tablets etc I would really be toiling and if cars added then £11k far too light.

I thought the two of us could live on £25,000 per year (12,500 each so no tax) but that would be no frills, few if any holidays, no Christmas gifts to grown up kids etc, and I decided we should be nearer £50k gross to not be nervous when the car needed replaced or we wanted to visit son in USA.

Maybe I am a spendthrift.

Your numbers are pretty high.
£1500 for TV/internet for example. 70mbps fibre broadband + freeview TV is £300 / year for me.
Boiler maintenance, just paid £85 for an annual boiler service, is £600 some kind of service contract ?

TV inc film channels and sports.

Boiler is entire central heating maint contract,gas fire, oven and hob pa. (British Gas)

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » October 28th, 2023, 6:04 am

daveh wrote:
Looking at next months predicted expenditure, so all the direct debits/standing orders etc less the money automatically going in to savings that comes to ~£370 add onto that last months credit card bill (which looks to be a low to average month) of ~£570 that comes out at ~£940 or £11,280 per year.

That doesn't include anything for holidays etc but does include alcohol/drinks that could definitely be cut back a bit.

So £11k a year definitely looks doable.

I've got reliable household Microsoft Money data going back 16 years now, and whilst we could 'survive' on £1000 per month (so £12,000 per year), there wouldn't be much left for any major expenditure or repair requirements, for things like our car or major home repairs. A bit of bad luck with our washing machine and central-heating boiler would give us cause for concern if the only option for financing those repairs or replacements would be for such funds to come from that £12,000 per-year income...

I've often considered what our true 'minimum running costs' might be, including at least 'some' level of comfort in terms of one holiday a year and some semblance of regular 'non-essential treats', and I think about £18,000 per year would be somewhere near the level where we'd have to start 'playing off' some of the optional extras we might look to enjoy, beyond the basic running of the household, but where at least with £18k there'd be some level of non-essential funding which we *could* perhaps play off against each other, and I certainly don't think that option would be available to us with a yearly allowance of £12k...

As someone who, on a good day at least, might be able to squint a bit and see an outline of an end-game to my working life, I think the reality that I'd prefer is to perhaps land somewhere around that £18,000 per-year allowance and also have a level of fairly reliable emergency-capital available, to cover-off those 'emergency repair or medium capital cost' risks, which would then put me in a much more confident position to be able to enjoy that level of per-year allowance of £18K, if I needed to, with the caveat in that position being that I don't have any mortgage costs to worry about, which of course removes what can be a large ongoing outlay that can heavily skew these types of discussions, depending on circumstances in that particular area.

All of the above should be clarified to be a 'self-funding' position in what's hoped to be some period of early-retirement, before the state-pension would become available for me, and such a situation heavily influences my thoughts on this, where that state-pension might eventually help to back-fill some of that previously mentioned 'emergency repair or medium capital cost' capital that I'd be willing to draw down on to perhaps help subsidise any early-retirement plans, which I think helps to show that many of these 'funding-level' situations that we might offer up for discussion do sometimes need fleshing out a little in terms of detail, rather than being able to hold up a single 'per year' figure that means the same thing to everyone, because quite often that's unlikely to be the case...

Getting back to the article itself, I maintain the view that this guy's going into a fairly tight three-year period with his eyes wide open, where he's hoping to enjoy a self-funded work-free period that's likely to mean tightening his belt for a while, but where he's firmly got his eyes on that state-pension that's three years away. He's then hopefully going to be able to enjoy a much better level of regular and guaranteed income once his state-retirement age has been achieved, and I think voluntarily stepping off the work-based treadmill with a plan like that is to be commended where there's a clarity that doesn't shy away from the fairly tight three-year period before he gets there...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Return to “Living Below Your Means”