Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Which type of hob?

Making your money go further
Steveam
Lemon Slice

Re: Which type of hob?

Postby Steveam » January 2nd, 2024, 1:08 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Steveam wrote:Yes, and when/if the electricity fails or the igniters fail you can no longer light the rings with a match.

Best wishes, Steve

My current gas hob will blow gas if I actively hold the knob down, while it sparks to light the gas. If I release the knob (i.e. any time I'm not actively there holding it), the safety feature kicks in, and gas will only flow if it's alight.

Its own spark hasn't failed on me, but if it did, I'd expect to be able to light it myself with one hand while holding the knob with t'other.

Thank you. I must try this.

Best wishes, Steve

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » January 2nd, 2024, 1:31 pm

Steveam wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:My current gas hob will blow gas if I actively hold the knob down, while it sparks to light the gas. If I release the knob (i.e. any time I'm not actively there holding it), the safety feature kicks in, and gas will only flow if it's alight.

Its own spark hasn't failed on me, but if it did, I'd expect to be able to light it myself with one hand while holding the knob with t'other.

Thank you. I must try this.

Best wishes, Steve

It works for me, but is only required if someone else cleaned the hob, or it wasn't cleaned after I had a pan boil over.

vand
Lemon Slice

Postby vand » January 20th, 2024, 10:38 am

Induction is the future, as well as the present.

Gilgongo
Lemon Slice

Postby Gilgongo » February 4th, 2024, 7:59 pm

Does anyone know why mixed fuel/hybrid hobs are so expensive?

https://www.appliancecity.co.uk/cooking ... fuel-hobs/

We have gas currently, but my mum has induction. I can see pros and cons cooking on both (and not only that induction is generally cheaper and probably better for your health). To have a gas ring for, say, flamboyant wok cooking, while having induction heat up fast and easy to boil an egg would seem great to have. But not for over a grand!

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » February 4th, 2024, 11:48 pm

Gilgongo wrote:Does anyone know why mixed fuel/hybrid hobs are so expensive?

I think rarity more than anything else - there just isn't the market

Why not use both?
I can't imagine this taking up much more room than an equivalent section in a hybrid hob https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gasland-GH12BF-Built-Tempered-Cooktop/dp/B083F9WL4L

-sd

Gilgongo
Lemon Slice

Postby Gilgongo » February 5th, 2024, 8:54 am

servodude wrote:Why not use both?

Yes, I wondered about that but thought maybe the fact that the purpose-made dual-fuel ones were pricey due to some engineering thing like having to insulate the two hobs from each other to prevent explosions or something. But if you can just install one next to the other then why not?

Incidentally, the photos for that Amazon hob show a bloke singing to the stands as he takes them out of the dishwasher. I'm glad I'm not the only person who does that.

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » February 7th, 2024, 12:14 pm

In our previous house we replaced an ancient gas hob with a combined gas/induction hob. The 2 ring induction did not require it's own high watt power supply and was plugged into a regular 13 amp socket. In our present house, we replaced the gas hob with induction and because we had the space, we added a 2 ring gas hob next to it. I often bring something to the boil on the gas, then transfer it to the induction with the timer set so that I can go away without fear that it will boil dry and burn. Two weeks ago, I left something on the gas hob and went out for a haircut. Halfway through I suddenly remembered the blackberries on the stove and rushed home with a semi haircut! Took 2 days for the smoke to clear and 12 hours to clean the pan. Went back later on to finish off the haircut.
As a chef, I first used a freestanding portable induction hob in May 1995. It was an Electrolux model and cost well over £1000. I would never buy anything other than induction in future although the gas ring is great for charring eggplants for making mouthabel/babaghanoush, but I only make that half a dozen times a year and I suppose could be done under the grill or on a BBQ.
PS.
The induction can be turned down very very low so exellent for pilaf rice, bring it to a rolling boil, cover it, turn it down to setting number 1 and set the timer for 18 minutes. Never fails. I even made hollandaise sauce on the induction without using a waterbath, (ie, a bowl over a pan of simmering water).

john

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » February 7th, 2024, 9:52 pm

johnstevens77 wrote:In our previous house we replaced an ancient gas hob with a combined gas/induction hob. The 2 ring induction did not require it's own high watt power supply and was plugged into a regular 13 amp socket. In our present house, we replaced the gas hob with induction and because we had the space, we added a 2 ring gas hob next to it. I often bring something to the boil on the gas, then transfer it to the induction with the timer set so that I can go away without fear that it will boil dry and burn. Two weeks ago, I left something on the gas hob and went out for a haircut. Halfway through I suddenly remembered the blackberries on the stove and rushed home with a semi haircut! Took 2 days for the smoke to clear and 12 hours to clean the pan. Went back later on to finish off the haircut.
As a chef, I first used a freestanding portable induction hob in May 1995. It was an Electrolux model and cost well over £1000. I would never buy anything other than induction in future although the gas ring is great for charring eggplants for making mouthabel/babaghanoush, but I only make that half a dozen times a year and I suppose could be done under the grill or on a BBQ.
PS.
The induction can be turned down very very low so exellent for pilaf rice, bring it to a rolling boil, cover it, turn it down to setting number 1 and set the timer for 18 minutes. Never fails. I even made hollandaise sauce on the induction without using a waterbath, (ie, a bowl over a pan of simmering water).

john

What a brilliant and reassuring post John! I expect I'll be using an induction hob eventually given the trajectory of progress.

Can I ask if you have any experience of using a wok (or wok style pans) on an induction hob?
This would be the bit that concerns me most
- are we looking at a flat future?

-sd

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » February 8th, 2024, 6:42 pm

servodude wrote:[
What a brilliant and reassuring post John! I expect I'll be using an induction hob eventually given the trajectory of progress.
Can I ask if you have any experience of using a wok (or wok style pans) on an induction hob?
This would be the bit that concerns me most
- are we looking at a flat future?
-sd

Never used a wok on induction. If I need to stir fry anything, I use a heavy steel frying pan, works OK for me. I know that flat bottomed woks are available but haven't used one for years. Induction hobs are available as stand alone units if you do a lot of Chinese etc. cooking. At work, we also had an Electrolux induction hob with it's stainless steel wok, great for cooking on buffets but as I said, that was from 1995 and cost well over £1000. Must be cheaper ones available now. Perhaps other Fools have experience and can help?

john

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » February 8th, 2024, 7:36 pm

servodude wrote:- are we looking at a flat future?
johnstevens77 wrote:Perhaps other Fools have experience and can help?
I use induction only, I have a flat bottomed wok bought specifically for the induction rings. It is fairly thin metal, certainly thinner than my previous curvy bottomed version. It's OK I guess but more often than not I use one of my frying pans to stir fry.

Last house I had a big ol' range with a gas hob and 5th double ring with matched wok and wok stand, the rings also had a flat plancha fitting which I was quite taken by. It stayed with the house. Now I have a gas hob with electric oven and a separate 4 ring induction hob. When I changed the kitchen about I moved the cooker to the opposite side and didn't bother extending the gas as I was used to the induction, the microwave now sits on top of the cooker hob.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » February 8th, 2024, 8:10 pm

FWIW, my (round, gas) wok is of far thinner metal than any of my frying pans.

Personally I'm not convinced that a thick wok is of any advantage.
That said I have multiple "frying" pans and one is cast iron. They all serve different jobs.

Back to hob's, the key advantage of gas was that it was very controllable. Induction hobs are, in themselves, also very controllable. ANY controlability, be it gas or induction, will be hindered by a pan with a high thermal mass, AKA cast iron pans. Hence I am not in the least surprised that a pan designed for induction would be designed to take advantage of that controlability.
I.E be thin.

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Postby funduffer » February 28th, 2024, 3:03 pm

I have been an advocate of induction hobs since we bought our first one 8 years ago.

......that is until my wife dropped a full glass jar on it and cracked the glass!

Replacement hob glass £318!!!

(The glass jar survived!)

FD

James
Lemon Slice

Postby James » February 28th, 2024, 9:24 pm

funduffer wrote:I have been an advocate of induction hobs since we bought our first one 8 years ago.

......that is until my wife dropped a full glass jar on it and cracked the glass!

Replacement hob glass £318!!!

Replacement wife: priceless.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”