Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Travel Insurance

Making your money go further
Gordon51

Re: Travel Insurance

Postby Gordon51 » January 17th, 2024, 12:00 pm

Thanks for replies.

I will request a document listing all declared and accepted conditions. Perhaps my bank will be the same one Steveam uses so they will comply !

Fluke
Lemon Slice

Postby Fluke » January 17th, 2024, 12:45 pm

Having cover is supposed to give you peace of mind, after reading steveam's account that's right out the window.

I've just been looking at the 'product information' document, a 2-pager downloaded from their site and noticed a gotcha, under the question "Are there any restrictions on cover?" there are a number of bullets of which the second is this:

"Any trip that doesn’t start and end in the UK or if a return ticket has not been bought."

My bold, I only have a one-way ticket atm as it's a longish trip and wasn't exactly sure of the return date, thought I'd leave it flexible and buy online a bit later. Didn't think of any insurance implications.

I've just contacted their help line and was assured by the operator (very young sounding) that I didn't need a pre-booked return flight so long as I didn't exceed the maximum number of days. I asked for that in writing which she said she wasn't able to do.

Back to the drawing board.

Fluke
Lemon Slice

Postby Fluke » January 17th, 2024, 1:21 pm

GrahamPlatt wrote:One has to say, thank goodness there is an insurance company behind that policy. If it was truly the PO doing the insurance, I’d be looking elsewhere.

Yes. The underwriters are Collinson Insurance

Fluke
Lemon Slice

Postby Fluke » January 17th, 2024, 1:29 pm

Fluke wrote:Having cover is supposed to give you peace of mind, after reading steveam's account that's right out the window.

I've just been looking at the 'product information' document, a 2-pager downloaded from their site and noticed a gotcha, under the question "Are there any restrictions on cover?" there are a number of bullets of which the second is this:

"Any trip that doesn’t start and end in the UK or if a return ticket has not been bought."

My bold, I only have a one-way ticket atm as it's a longish trip and wasn't exactly sure of the return date, thought I'd leave it flexible and buy online a bit later. Didn't think of any insurance implications.

I've just contacted their help line and was assured by the operator (very young sounding) that I didn't need a pre-booked return flight so long as I didn't exceed the maximum number of days. I asked for that in writing which she said she wasn't able to do.

I've just checked the very long and detailed Collinson policy document and I can't see anything under the very long list of exclusions in the medical expenses section that says you're not covered if you haven't got a return ticket. I'm sure this would only apply to any claims for cancelled/delayed return journeys. Think I'll take the chance and stick with the policy and get the return flight booked as soon as poss.

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » January 17th, 2024, 1:31 pm

Fluke wrote:Having cover is supposed to give you peace of mind, after reading steveam's account that's right out the window.

Please don’t let my story put you off travel insurance. It saved my bacon but was a pain.

I’m a bit shocked that the travel insurer wouldn’t confirm their answer in writing. I believe they record all calls so note the time and date of the call and make a contemporaneous note of the conversation.

Things have slowly improved. The Insurance Ombudsman now looks very badly at insurance companies trying to wriggle out of things and the old dictum of utmost good faith is now interpreted with a degree of reasonableness. I’m not any sort of expert but I understand that consumer rights have, somewhat, limited the most egregious get outs.

Go and enjoy your holiday!

Best wishes, Steve

Return to “Living Below Your Means”