Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

which energy supplier

Making your money go further
mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

which energy supplier

Postby mutantpoodle » April 7th, 2017, 10:32 pm

I have narrowed choice down to three
So energy
Tonik
Avro
each cost more or less the same for my use
each gets three stars from MSE and other comaprison sites

does anyone have any views/opinions on which??

tea42
Lemon Slice

Re: which energy supplier

Postby tea42 » April 7th, 2017, 11:42 pm

I swapped to Avro recently. The swap was handled well. I chose them because they had a longer track record than some others who were slightly cheaper.

Bminusrob
Lemon Slice

Postby Bminusrob » April 8th, 2017, 9:27 am

I am in the process of switching to First Utility for my electricity (no gas where I live). From the comparison sites, I can get a cheaper one year fixed deal by about £60, but the First Utility deal is fixed for three years, and that is what swung it for me.

Quite early in the process, but they seem pretty good, and get very good reviews.

bejocomo

Postby bejocomo » April 14th, 2017, 10:24 am

I switched to Bulb from one of the 'Big Six' energy suppliers last year and have been very happy so far. Their electricity is 100% renewable and their gas is part renewable.

They are very highly rated and seem like a breath of fresh air. If anyone is interested I have a referral code that'll get you a £50 credit.

Vision25
2 Lemon pips

Postby Vision25 » April 16th, 2017, 8:15 pm

bejocomo wrote:I switched to Bulb from one of the 'Big Six' energy suppliers last year and have been very happy so far. Their electricity is 100% renewable and their gas is part renewable.

They are very highly rated and seem like a breath of fresh air. If anyone is interested I have a referral code that'll get you a £50 credit.

How much does it cost?

And as renewability seems to be important to you have you also factored into your decision the amount of duplicate capacity needed of unrenewable sources?

Vision25

bejocomo

Postby bejocomo » April 21st, 2017, 9:19 pm

Less than SSE who I was with previously (on a fixed rate tariff), and I have received an email from Bulb today informing me my energy prices will be decreasing imminently. They have an easy to use website that tells you their unit rates and standing charge, and they offer a different tariff if you use an economy 7 meter as I do.

No, I haven't. I understand renewable sources of energy can be unreliable but the last time I looked Bulb's electricity is hydroelectric which I would hope is relatively(!) consistent. I am, however, no expert!

BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Postby BusyBumbleBee » April 25th, 2017, 7:25 pm

At the moment OVO (according to BULB) costs me £1 per month more - on a monthly average spend of £200. Is it worth changing?

Why £200 per month? - big house - all heat pumps - no oil or gas - and an electric car!

PS : SSE have a lot of hydro as well

bejocomo

Postby bejocomo » April 27th, 2017, 6:27 pm

As you're all electric like me have you checked you're getting their Economy 7 tariff? I don't know how they compare to OVO but they are well reviewed (if online reviews mean much):

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/bulb.co.uk

Personally I wouldn't change for such a small saving but if you do decide to give them a go I can give you a referral link to save us both £50.

BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Postby BusyBumbleBee » April 28th, 2017, 8:38 am

bejocomo wrote:As you're all electric like me have you checked you're getting their Economy 7 tariff? I don't know how they compare to OVO but they are well reviewed (if online reviews mean much):
https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/bulb.co.uk
Personally I wouldn't change for such a small saving but if you do decide to give them a go I can give you a referral link to save us both £50.
Thanks for the offer, bejocomo, but I won't be switching as not only to do I get 2% cash back from Santander when I pay, OVO also pay me 3% interest on any cash they hold - a hard to beat rate which more than covers the £1 per month 'saving'

Yes I do have economy 7 and I rather like OVO - they have always been good to deal with.

bejocomo

Postby bejocomo » April 28th, 2017, 6:40 pm

I agree it makes no sense to change in your position!

Hopefully OVO and Bulb will continue to keep us both happy customers.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » May 22nd, 2017, 3:16 pm

Via the MSE cheap energy club alert email I've just become aware that there's a decent EON fixed tariff available for me
E.ON Saver Fixed 1 Year v9
so I've just switched from the variable I was on for the last month whilst I procrastinated. There is one other deal that is a bit cheaper but there's no feedback for them so better the devil you know ...

EON used to email alert these deals themselves but seem to have stopped. (I wonder why?...).

Return to “Living Below Your Means”