Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Me and my screwdriver

Making your money go further
NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Me and my screwdriver

Postby NomoneyNohoney » April 9th, 2017, 9:23 pm

So, we lost the battery cover to the Sky remote control. Fixed it with a bit of cardboard, and strips of sellotape. Unfortunately, as time has gone by, it got tattier and tattier, so I considered getting a new remote control. Looked in Asda & Tesco - about £23.00, so decided that the tatty chic look was really rather stylish...

Tonight I was playing with the iphone, and it has an Ebay app from MoneySavingExpert. You enter your postcode, and the app searches Ebay for items for sale which are collection only, the theory being that you stand more chance of winning with a local collection as potential buyers are fewer.
Anyway, saw a Sky+ HD box with remote control ending in 20 minutes: no bids, so I took the plunge,placed a bid, and won the kit for the princely sum of 99p.

Went and got it all, and the remote control is in good condition, and even came with working batteries: result! But the fun story doesn't end there: as I got out of the car I found £1 on the road, so by my thinking, I made a penny profit. At least, I would have, if I hadn't had an idea - out with the screwdriver, opened up the unwanted Sky box, and out came a 500 GB Seagate hard drive, which people are selling on Ebay for £15-£25.00. Once formatted that's an extra drive to put in the PC.

I'm still bubbling with pleasure - remote control effectively for free, thus saving £23.00, plus the free hard drive as well. Yup, happy with that. The only downer is, there will be someone who will say that the Sky boxes are selling for umpteen bazillion pounds, and that's what I should have done - immediately Ebayed the unit. I don't care though - I got exactly what I wanted and the remains of the Sky box are already in a nearby skip. :)

AJC5001
Lemon Slice

Re: Me and my screwdriver

Postby AJC5001 » April 9th, 2017, 11:37 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:I don't care though - I got exactly what I wanted and the remains of the Sky box are already in a nearby skip. :)

I believe there is a 'law' that says tomorrow will be the day that your current Sky box will fail, and all you need to recover is another working Sky box into which you can swap the hard drive from the faulty unit. :D

Adrian

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Re: Me and my screwdriver

Postby NomoneyNohoney » April 10th, 2017, 12:22 pm

it's your fault! I read your message, grinned, and then discovered the 'new' Sky remote wouldn't turn the volume up or down.

With your words running through my mind, I searched online and found that you have to program the remote to your TV.
Went to Sky site, entered TV details, got a 4-digit code, entered it to reprogram the remote, and it's fully working now.

Please do not say anything else !!!

Return to “Living Below Your Means”