Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Plusnet will not let me keep my number

Making your money go further
GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Plusnet will not let me keep my number

Postby GeoffF100 » April 25th, 2017, 8:21 pm

I am moving my broadband and landline from Sky to Plusnet, having moved the other way just over a year ago, and have just received an email saying that they cannot keep my phone number. It was originally a BT geographic number. The uSwitch FAQ says that the old provider has to release the number, but the new provider does not have to accept it. Could it be that Plusnet is trying to discourage serial switchers? How thorough do I have to be about informing financial service providers that my number has changed?

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Re: Plusnet will not let me keep my number

Postby GeoffF100 » April 26th, 2017, 11:26 am

I have just got through to Plusnet after 35 minutes wait. There was a mistake. They can transfer my number.

Devjon
2 Lemon pips

Postby Devjon » April 26th, 2017, 1:26 pm

Just an aside. I moved from BT to Plusnet a couple of years ago and have been very pleased with the service. My wife and I are quite keen on watching the Cycling, especially the Tour De France. About 18 months ago we took advantage of their TV offer and were able to sign up for the basic package which included Eurosport 1 and 2 as well as BT Sport 1 and a few documentary / history channels. This included a Youview box with recording and the extra cost was an initial 1p per month for 12 months and has just increased to £5 per month.

On Fiday we noticed that the display on our wireless handset was showing "Check Line" and on checking we realised that we had no dial tone. What was strange was that we had full interent access. I went online to the Plusnet site and filled in the "Test my Line" box. This reported that the line was faulty anfd gave a number to ring. By this time it was after eight in the evening but despite the late hour I thought I'd give it a go. The phone was answered by a knowledgeable technician who knew of the fault and said a ticket had been raised, but as it was the week end it would probably be Monday / Tuesday before an engineer would be able to attend.

At 11am Saturday morning the phone rang. It was an engineer to say he'd fixed the fault.
Outstanding service and UK based knowledgeable support staff, I'll be sticking with them.

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » April 26th, 2017, 3:02 pm

Devjon wrote:Just an aside. I moved from BT to Plusnet a couple of years ago and have been very pleased with the service.

BT bought Plusnet in 2007, so you haven't moved far.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » April 27th, 2017, 9:17 am

Devjon wrote:Just an aside. I moved from BT to Plusnet a couple of years ago....
Outstanding service and UK based knowledgeable support staff, I'll be sticking with them.

Indeed an outstanding service :)

Unfortunately our experience of plusnet wasn't as positive.

Having been with Zen for over ten years with something like just two outages in all that times, in less than three years we got through 5 plusnet routers and had constant outages. Finally we were told it has to be our home's phone wiring . I pointed out that the same house phone wiring had supported Zen's provision for an almost unblemished decade. They were adamant it must be our house and not them despite our previous lack of issues. And any call to their UK call centre always took over 30 minutes, and often over 45 minutes to get a connection.

We now have BT Infinity.

didds

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » April 27th, 2017, 4:12 pm

Return to “Living Below Your Means”