Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Remembering my first post on TMF

Making your money go further
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Remembering my first post on TMF

Postby Clariman » May 20th, 2017, 11:42 am

Around the turn of the millenium I was very good at filing important documents. I am less good now, but it does mean that I have a cupboard full of statements and documents which I am trying to clear out.

My first post on TMF was asking for people's advice about getting a mortgage Early Redemption Penalty waived and Fools weren't very encouraging

http://boards.fool.co.uk/congratulation ... 98238.aspx

However, a short time later I proclaimed that I had successfully got 75% of it waived. It was actually 67% not 75%. Still not bad.

http://boards.fool.co.uk/early-redempti ... t=postdate

Why does this come to mind now? Well I am clearing out my filing cupboard, to take stuff to a shredding company and came across my Northern Rock correspondence. On 10th July 2001, an Assistant Director replied to me saying

"I refer to your letter dated 5 July to Mr Adam Applegarth, our Chief Executive. He has read your letter and asked me to respond, hence my telephone call on Friday of last week .... I propose to reduce your early Repayment Charge by two-thirds i.e. reducing the amount you will have to pay from £4,889 to £1,629"

A polite letter offering something in return never does any harm :) .

The big question - should I shred this or keep it - so that it can bring a smile to me when I'm sitting in a care home, waiting for someone to come and change me ;) :lol:

Clariman

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Re: Remembering my first post on TMF

Postby Redmires » May 20th, 2017, 4:08 pm

I've been clearing out my books recently after moving to a smaller property. I came across the "Motley Fool Investment Guide" from about the turn of the century. A book worth keeping. Unlike another book I came across from the 90's, "The Equitable Life's Guide to Pensions". Although that too may become a collectors item :)

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » May 20th, 2017, 11:25 pm

Clariman wrote:Why does this come to mind now? Well I am clearing out my filing cupboard, to take stuff to a shredding company and came across my Northern Rock correspondence. On 10th July 2001, an Assistant Director replied to me saying

"I refer to your letter dated 5 July to Mr Adam Applegarth, our Chief Executive. He has read your letter and asked me to respond, hence my telephone call on Friday of last week .... I propose to reduce your early Repayment Charge by two-thirds i.e. reducing the amount you will have to pay from £4,889 to £1,629"

A polite letter offering something in return never does any harm :) .

Ah! I still have a letter from Northern Rock replying to a letter I had written to them (in 1996?) about Adam Applegarth (amongst other matters).

It wasn't half as helpful as yours. :lol:

Still, helps explains why I wasn't quite as worried in 2007 as some!

RPAT123

Postby RPAT123 » September 17th, 2017, 10:54 pm

Oh My how nice to see all the old fav posters! Clariman!! I remember you well so nice to see you posting - I think you should keep it as the start of an enlightening journey for you.

I am not sure of my first post, but remember dealing with a PPI type issue with Lloyds in around 1995/6 and winning the money back from them. It was very satisfying

RPAT

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » September 18th, 2017, 9:37 am

RPAT

Nice to see you here. Stooz and I set this site up when we heard of the imminent demise of TMF Boards last November. We're pleased to have helped keep the community together.

Welcome 'back' to the Fool community.

C

Return to “Living Below Your Means”