Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Smart Meters

Making your money go further
Stonge
Lemon Slice

Smart Meters

Postby Stonge » July 9th, 2017, 1:05 pm

Are smart meters a deliberate confidence trick to deter customers from changing energy suppliers?

I have been informed by e-on that my meter will be changed for a Smart Meter. No it won't.

They say, among other things:

* see how much energy you use and the cost with a free in-home display
* no more estimated bills
* no need to provide meter-readings

But, if you change supplier:

* your new supplier may not be able to get readings automatically
* the cost will not show on the fancy (but now useless) in-home display

In my opinion this is disgraceful, disgusting and completely unacceptable. As usual the government has displayed its usual level of incompetence in the implementation of this change.

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Re: Smart Meters

Postby Maroochydore » July 9th, 2017, 1:51 pm

Stonge wrote:Are smart meters a deliberate confidence trick to deter customers from changing energy suppliers?

Yes and no. Yes, they are a deliberate confidence trick. No, it shouldn't deter you from changing suppliers.

They are a con-trick because it will enable dynamic pricing i.e. you will pay more at peak times or whenever the supplier feels like it. So it is for the suppliers benefit not yours, although you (we) will have to pay for the £12 billion costs through higher bills.

For a consumer they are a gimmick, you will soon stop reading it because you use what you need. No good walking around turning things off when you need them. If you want to save energy then you are probably minded to walk around looking at things you don't need to be on without the aid of a smart meter.

Not sure about the estimated bills scenario. My supplier asks for monthly readings, which I supply. They then add a few more units on to cover the few days until statement date so essentially they are still estimating my bill (although perhaps with slightly more accuracy).

You will also need a good wi-fi spot to enable the smart meter to send the readings. Our meter is under the hall stairs and is a wi-fi black-spot. I certainly wouldn't get my meter moved to accomodate the energy companies.

Finally, you can refuse to have one fitted (at present anyway).

This site may be useful if, like me, you are against them http://stopsmartmeters.org.uk

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » July 9th, 2017, 4:46 pm

Maroochydore wrote:You will also need a good wi-fi spot to enable the smart meter to send the readings. Our meter is under the hall stairs and is a wi-fi black-spot. I certainly wouldn't get my meter moved to accomodate the energy companies.

Wifi?

I thought that they worked off mobile technology?

Slarti

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » July 9th, 2017, 5:11 pm

Slarti wrote:Wifi?

British Gas and OVO (and probably everyone else) work off Zigbee 2.4GHz.

According to OVO: The HAN uses a network called Zigbee, which is very similar to Wi-fi and Bluetooth. It has a range of 15 metres (imagine a bubble around the electricity meter). However, this can only reach other meters or devices within its ‘sightline’ – so walls will reduce this range.

(HAN= Home Area Network)

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » July 9th, 2017, 5:21 pm

Maroochydore wrote:

According to OVO: The HAN uses a network called Zigbee, which is very similar to Wi-fi and Bluetooth. It has a range of 15 metres (imagine a bubble around the electricity meter). However, this can only reach other meters or devices within its ‘sightline’ – so walls will reduce this range.

(HAN= Home Area Network)

I suspect that is for the communication between the meter and the digital readout thingy in the home, whereas the communication from the meter to the energy supplier uses mobile technology referred to by Slarti.

--kiloran

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 9th, 2017, 6:56 pm

Stonge wrote:But, if you change supplier:

* your new supplier may not be able to get readings automatically
* the cost will not show on the fancy (but now useless) in-home display

Is that still true?

It's a peculiarly British idiocy that led to smart meters causing such problems. And it's the regulation, not the companies or the technology. The same technology elsewhere works without problem if you switch supplier. An informed view on this and other issues with smart meters is at http://itreallyisupsidedown.blogspot.co ... -mkay.html .

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » July 9th, 2017, 11:18 pm

The problem with smart meters in the UK is that it's being driven by energy suppliers. Energy metering is a distribution function and should be driven by the distribution network operators, or the national grid operator. (or by a separate organisation operating at that level).
A similar fiasco operates with traditional manual meter reading - where you can have (say) five people reading meters in a given street every quarter, each employed by a company contracted by each household's supplier.
It's a farce all caused by a broken attempt to perpetuate a market for meter reading services on a house by house basis which isn't required. (Competitive tendering on a area basis - good. House by house - pointless)

PochiSoldi

Crazbe7
2 Lemon pips

Postby Crazbe7 » July 10th, 2017, 4:05 pm

A further problem is that they do not provide an accurate reflection of the true cost cost of your gas and electricity.

Recently had Smart meters fitted in a house I have inherited but use on a very occasional basis. My bill on the Smart meter makes no reference to the daily standing charge which is higher than the gas and electricity I use. Useful as I don't have to visit to submit a reading, but I just won't bother in my main residence.

Crazbe7

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » July 11th, 2017, 5:24 am

Crazbe7 wrote:My bill on the Smart meter makes no reference to the daily standing charge which is higher than the gas and electricity I use.

My Smart meter monitor copes with the daily standing charge just fine. It seems to add it on at about 8.30am every day.

Are you sure yours is set to the correct tariff?

Scott.

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Postby funduffer » July 21st, 2017, 11:50 am

If you want to avoid the OP's situation, ask your energy company if they are fitting a SMETS1 or SMETS2 meter.

If it is SMETS1 it will probably stop working if you change suppliers.

If it is SMETS2 it should continue to work if you switch.

SMETS2 meters started to be available from Feb 2017, but I think many energy companies are still trying to install old SMETS1 meters. They probably have a warehouse-full to get rid of on gullible customers.

Like the OP, my supplier - EoN - wanted to install a Smart meter. When I found out it was going to be SMETS1, I told them to come back when they could offer me a SMETS2 meter. Not heard from them since.

FD

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » July 21st, 2017, 12:10 pm

kiloran wrote:
Maroochydore wrote:

(HAN= Home Area Network)

I suspect that is for the communication between the meter and the digital readout thingy in the home, whereas the communication from the meter to the energy supplier uses mobile technology referred to by Slarti.

--kiloran

Mobile plus a wireless mesh link*- for central and southern UK anyway.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » August 17th, 2017, 1:25 pm

funduffer wrote:If you want to avoid the OP's situation, ask your energy company if they are fitting a SMETS1 or SMETS2 meter.

If it is SMETS1 it will probably stop working if you change suppliers.

If it is SMETS2 it should continue to work if you switch.

SMETS2 meters started to be available from Feb 2017, but I think many energy companies are still trying to install old SMETS1 meters. They probably have a warehouse-full to get rid of on gullible customers.

Like the OP, my supplier - EoN - wanted to install a Smart meter. When I found out it was going to be SMETS1, I told them to come back when they could offer me a SMETS2 meter. Not heard from them since.

FD

Very handy information, I remembered this thread here when I got an email today from EoN that they want me to book a smart meter installation. I have been in this property now for one month and I've spent £14.25 worth of leccy, and £10.47 worth of gas, and being DD'ed £90!!! But of course it's summer now.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”