Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Perfectly imperfect

Making your money go further
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Perfectly imperfect

Postby Clitheroekid » October 1st, 2017, 12:15 am

This isn't a board I visit often, so my apologies if it's been mentioned before, but I came across some `Perfectly Imperfect' apples at Tesco today, and it struck me as an excellent idea.

They are apples that are apparently not up to the normal standard of perfection demanded by Tesco and other supermarkets (or more accurately their stupid customers!) though they looked fine to me. But because of their pariah status they are around half the price of the `perfect' ones.

The ones I got were Cox's, and they are delicious - better than those at twice the price - and I think it's an initiative to be commended.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Perfectly imperfect

Postby Lootman » October 1st, 2017, 12:48 am

One could contrast that with the "organic" produce that is marked up in price whilst almost always looking worse than the cheaper non-organic produce. In that case people will actually pay more for produce that looks "imperfect" because they think it is better for them.

On the other hand, my local Waitrose sells their prepackaged sushi for half price in their last hour of opening, it not keeping so well and all.

Or should shops be allowed to sell produce past their "sell by" date at a discount?

When is a bargain not a bargain?

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 1st, 2017, 4:35 am

Lootman wrote:Or should shops be allowed to sell produce past their "sell by" date at a discount?

I thought "sell by" dates were a thing of the past. "Best before" and "use by" dates being more typical, the latter being a food safety issue.

Though of course many will be over cautious.

Scott.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » October 1st, 2017, 4:54 am

Clitheroekid wrote:
I came across some 'Perfectly Imperfect' apples at Tesco today, and it struck me as an excellent idea.

It's great isn't it? We've been buying the Morrisons versions for some time now, and make some huge savings when compared to the normal prices on some of their range.

That said, I think it's interesting to still see the marketing-boys in action when you compare the two approaches towards their target customers by Tesco and Morrisons....

I think Tesco seem to be taking the 'Marks and Spencers' approach to their range description of 'Perfectly Imperfect' (I can hear the M&S music now, just typing that out.... :O)), whilst Morrisons certainly seem to be taking an, erm, more down to earth avenue with their 'Wonky Range' -

https://my.morrisons.com/blog/food/how- ... look-good/

Their 'Wonky Avocado's' are a steal, and go down a treat.

I bet working in the 'Wonky Carrot' filtering warehouse must be one of the funniest jobs going!!

:D

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » October 1st, 2017, 3:19 pm

As a trial I bought some perfectly imperfect soft fruit at Tesco in the Summer. My conclusion was that the wastage was too great to be worth it.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » October 1st, 2017, 8:00 pm

dspp wrote:As a trial I bought some perfectly imperfect soft fruit at Tesco in the Summer. My conclusion was that the wastage was too great to be worth it.

Interesting, as there was zero wastage from my apples. What was wrong with it?

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » October 1st, 2017, 9:44 pm

In passing, the Coxes being sold by Tesco at the moment - whether 'perfect or otherwise - are some of the best Coxes I have ever tasted.

BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Postby BusyBumbleBee » October 2nd, 2017, 5:54 pm

stewamax wrote:In passing, the Coxes being sold by Tesco at the moment - whether 'perfect or otherwise - are some of the best Coxes I have ever tasted.

Apples are always best straight off the tree - which they are at this time of the year - for the rest of the year they come out of storage and are not nearly so good. Imperfect ones don't store at all well in my experience, so best to take advantage now.

The apples this year seem to be bigger, juicier, and sweeter than normal and I am very much enjoying them straight off the trees - variety by variety and I have more than 20 varieties in the orchard. Rest of the year I can't really be bothered to eat them.

Pears are good as well and also seem to be larger than normal. Particularly the wild pears which I grow in the wood for the birds : some of them are up to "man-made" variety standards. Cherries have been fantastic and over a long season too.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » October 2nd, 2017, 6:00 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:
dspp wrote:As a trial I bought some perfectly imperfect soft fruit at Tesco in the Summer. My conclusion was that the wastage was too great to be worth it.

Interesting, as there was zero wastage from my apples. What was wrong with it?

I think they were strawberries. There was a heck of a lot of iffy fruit, so a lot of wastage. And I'm not that fussy. I made a decision to avoid soft fruit imperfect from Tescos as a result and that memory stuck.

deucetoace

Postby deucetoace » October 5th, 2017, 10:08 am

You can also buy eggs that are not sized at significantly less than the ones put into sizes - well at M&S and Waitrose you can anyhow

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » October 5th, 2017, 10:36 am

And don't forget that when eating produce from the garden, we don't throw small and misshapen items straight into the compost bin! Even wormy apples get used in our house although I would baulk at paying for them.

john

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » October 5th, 2017, 10:45 am

you can also buy eggs that are not sized at significantly less than the ones put into sizes - well at M&S and Waitrose you can anyhow

I try to only buy organic eggs. Oddly the Waitrose in my town no longer sells organic eggs - but Tesco do even in my local really small convenience store. Organic not sized which suits me fine. Can't honestly see much difference between sized and not sized eggs. Good move by Tesco actually as it gets me into a store I wouldn't otherwise enter.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”