Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Winter Squirreling

Making your money go further
neversay
Lemon Slice

Winter Squirreling

Postby neversay » October 16th, 2018, 1:14 pm

Ok, perhaps the weather is good where we are this week, but we are getting the urge to lock-down for winter. Part of that is bulk buying for the house - like toilet rolls, tissues and other non-perishables. Is it just us or do others squirrel for the winter?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Winter Squirreling

Postby Dod101 » October 16th, 2018, 3:12 pm

Depends where you live but I have seldom found it necessary. My nearest supermarket is about 17 miles away although I can get most things relatively locally and the most time I have been unable to get out has been about five days.

Dod

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » October 16th, 2018, 4:32 pm

I bulk buy things like toilet rolls and kitchen paper when they are on special offer, at any time of year. Gives extra insulation in the loft.

But not for winter as such. But then there has never been a day that I couldn't have gone to the shops, if I'd wanted to since we moved down here to Essex in 1966. :D

Slarti

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » October 16th, 2018, 9:05 pm

Living in a town I suppose this issue doesn't come up as I go out most days anyway for volunteer and leisure activities not just for shopping and I could go out even on pretty nasty days if I had to and there is always somewhere to access goods within a relatively short drive, walk, cycle. I suppose as I get older (currently in late sixties) I might be more inclined to squirrel if I could no longer drive or walk in bad weather. On the other hand online purchasing and delivery does give you a cushion against bad weather conditions if you need it. I still prefer to shop in person at least for foodstuffs and similar (I'm more inclined to buy online for things like Kindle book titles and some items which it can be pretty much impossible to source these days via physical shops). In recent times due to a preference to avoid plastic packaging I've gone back to a doorstep milk delivery service which offers milk in glass bottles. I buy the odd 'extra' item from this service and despite the rather steep prices for some of the items I have noted that if I was ever ill or kept indoors for some other reason I could purchase shall we say the basics of life from this service as well as the milk.

In fairly recent times I've also taken to having a fortnightly (could be weekly if I wanted) delivery of fresh veg and fruit from a fairly local fruit and veg delivery service that buys as much as it possibly can from local farmers. My reasons for this include issues such as eating an awful lot of veg and liking it fresh and good and environmental issues including - where it is a valid consideration - as local as possible a distance between field and consumer. Though not my initial motivation for going with this service I suppose there is a reassuring background element to this that I could get supplies by this means even if illness or injury prevented me from going shopping myself. It has the additional attraction that due to comments from myself and other customers this service has now gone plastic free, so none of the produce is sweating in plastic packing nor adding to your recycling bin contents.

So no I don't think I squirrel but with Brexit looming we may all no matter how reluctant have to think of stocking up on at least basics. I know I could get by on basics - even though I enjoy both food and cooking - but my cats have rather specific requirements so I think I'll be providing myself with just some basics while stocking up majorly on cat food if the current Brexit madness continues. My cats were not offered the opportunity to vote so I feel obliged to protect them from the consequences of that vote,

Lynn

jaizan
Lemon Slice

Postby jaizan » October 19th, 2018, 11:21 pm

Slarti wrote:Gives extra insulation in the loft.

Did the loft insulation when they were subsidizing the stuff down to £3 a roll about 10 years ago.

Net effect of that policy is people like me have 4 layers of the stuff & some people I know of have almost none (their choice).

Return to “Living Below Your Means”