Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Dual Fuel Best Energy Suppliers?

Making your money go further
melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Re: Dual Fuel Best Energy Suppliers?

Postby melonfool » December 10th, 2017, 10:14 pm

staffordian wrote:
melonfool wrote:I'm hoping to change soon - I have a dual rate meter which is hopefully being swapped out on Tuesday. Once that is done I can move supplier - I am on Scottish Power and I have no idea what goes on at their head office but they tell me one thing, do another, when I phone to ask they tell me something totally different. They read out emails they have 'sent' me that they can see on their screen, I read the email I received and they are totally different.
They give me links to the website which I can't read because they have never sent me a log-in and don't have me registered as a customer because I haven't logged into their website...... They say they are sending things, they don't arrive, I call to ask, they send them with the original date on and then say they did send them the first time because it has that date on.....there is no logic to them, I can't stand it. But with a dual rate meter it's far harder to swap supplier and I have no need for the overnight rate at all.

Breathe......

Mel

This is probably academic if your meter is being changed, but we had a dual rate meter at a previous address. Whilst we did not swap suppliers we did move tariffs and the two readings were simply aggregated to give total consumption, charged at a single rate. Have suppliers specifically said they can't deal with dual meters? If so, yet another manifestation of the stupidity of the current energy market, along with incompatible "smart" meters...

The current supplier can deal with the dual rate meter, but they give me two rates and as I don't use any overnight electricity I am paying a higher rate in the day and not benefiting from the night rate. They refuse to put it on a single rate. So, I've told the current supplier to change it.

I will then change supplier to one who isn't insane.

Mel

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » December 11th, 2017, 6:57 am

Stompa wrote:
Satsuma wrote:Also jumping in a bit late, but I am on this no standing charge, 'PAYG'-type tariff - as a low user it suits me perfectly as many deals are two-tier rates and I never used to get past the first level to qualify for the cheaper second rate! https://ebico.org.uk/energy-plans/ebico-zero/

I also like their company ethos about trying to help alleviate fuel poverty: https://ebico.org.uk/about-ebico/

It's also worth checking other tariffs with no standing charge, which you can do by entering very low usage into a comparison site (if 0kWh doesn't work, then try 1kWh). For example, for me Solarplicity would be around 25% cheaper than Ebico for gas, and around 3% cheaper for electricity. Of course, if you're a really low user, you may not regard that as very significant.

Thanks for the tip Stompa, I'll look into it. I like that it is renewable too.

Sats

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » December 11th, 2017, 12:36 pm

Just out of curiosity I checked Eon's alternative tariffs, there was perhaps 10 of them, all fancy complicated names, drilling into the details shows possible exit fees and discounts, and how much the potential savings are in £££ - but no actual prices ie variable £ per KWH + standing charge, after all, that would make it too easy to compare suppliers.

I am paying currently:
leccy 16.632p variable + 16.422 fixed
gas 4.102p + 21.903p
18mth fixed deal with a dual discount and no exit charge.

Since 18th July my total spend is £89 + £101 = £190.

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » December 11th, 2017, 2:17 pm

JMN2 wrote:Just out of curiosity I checked Eon's alternative tariffs, there was perhaps 10 of them, all fancy complicated names, drilling into the details shows possible exit fees and discounts, and how much the potential savings are in £££ - but no actual prices ie variable £ per KWH + standing charge, after all, that would make it too easy to compare suppliers.

The prices are there, just not in a nice neat list. You have to go through the 'Get a quote' process here:

https://www.eonenergy.com/for-your-home ... d-services

Then for each tariff, click on the 'Review' button, followed by the 'Tariff Information Label' button.

JMN2 wrote:I am paying currently:
leccy 16.632p variable + 16.422 fixed
gas 4.102p + 21.903p
18mth fixed deal with a dual discount and no exit charge.

Since 18th July my total spend is £89 + £101 = £190.

I hope that's not representative of the 'better' deals available at the moment, otherwise I'll be very depressed when my current fix ends in July!

BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Postby BusyBumbleBee » December 11th, 2017, 6:21 pm

Stompa wrote:The prices are there, just not in a nice neat list. You have to go through the 'Get a quote' process here:

Then for each tariff, click on the 'Review' button, followed by the 'Tariff Information Label' button.

Precisely - and now try to do that for all the suppliers : why can't Ofgem publish all the tariffs? It should be part of their remit.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » December 11th, 2017, 6:34 pm

BusyBumbleBee wrote:
Stompa wrote:The prices are there, just not in a nice neat list. You have to go through the 'Get a quote' process here:

Precisely - and now try to do that for all the suppliers : why can't Ofgem publish all the tariffs? It should be part of their remit.

Naturally it would be too transparent.

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » December 11th, 2017, 8:04 pm

BusyBumbleBee wrote:Precisely - and now try to do that for all the suppliers : why can't Ofgem publish all the tariffs? It should be part of their remit.

I agree, it would be useful. But I guess the majority of consumers only want to be able to find the best tariffs for their particular usage and location, which is what the comparison sites attempt to do.

FWIW some companies do publish their tariffs in a more sensible way, for example:

https://www.ovoenergy.com/binaries/cont ... 042017.pdf

malakoffee
Lemon Pip

Postby malakoffee » December 11th, 2017, 8:42 pm

Confusion marketing is evil.

The best thing that OFGEM could do would be to force all suppliers to charge by KWhs-used ONLY.
No :-
Standing Charges
Discounts
Tiered Rates
Cashbacks
etc . . . . ad nauseum . . .

Price comparisons would be trivial and all the fearful users ( and the rest of us ) could see the real cost at a glance.

Alas, few suppliers price like this. EBICO is one.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » December 12th, 2017, 8:24 am

Stompa wrote:
BusyBumbleBee wrote:Precisely - and now try to do that for all the suppliers : why can't Ofgem publish all the tariffs? It should be part of their remit.

I agree, it would be useful. But I guess the majority of consumers only want to be able to find the best tariffs for their particular usage and location...

But isn't the tariff rate itself the best indicator of that? Granted, there could be some fixed discounts etc but those I think are quite small in proportion of the total costs and only muddle the waters, the regulator should ban all discounts and exit fees shown separately and ask utility companies to reflect everything in their tariffs which should be then published for all vulnerable pensioners to see.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”