Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Booking hotels with Clubcard vouchers

Making your money go further
Alaric
Lemon Half

Booking hotels with Clubcard vouchers

Postby Alaric » November 15th, 2017, 12:21 pm

There's a new addition to the Tesco Clubcard rewards. They have a tie up with the hotels.com booking website which gives a 3:1 notional exchange rate. There is a catch to be wary of, that the vouchers don't cover the VAT. If you see a hotel price of £ 72, that's £ 60 plus £ 12 VAT. Therefore you use £ 20 in vouchers and pay £ 12 on top.

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Re: Booking hotels with Clubcard vouchers

Postby Maroochydore » November 15th, 2017, 5:41 pm

A word of warning regarding the hotels.com website.

Firstly let me say I am a member of hotels.com and have had a few 'free' nights on their loyalty programme.

However last time I was about to book a hotel through their own website I decided to check the reviews on TripAdvisor.

I noticed on the page a list of price comparisons of the usual suspects including hotels.com. The price of the hotel against hotels.com was showing less than I had previously seen directly on their website. Clicking on the link took me back to the hotels.com website and offered the reduced price.

So, just check the hotel.com prices on other sites (TripAdvisor/late Rooms etc etc) and use your vouchers against the lowest hotels.com price you can find. I was amazed that one company would offer different prices on different websites to their own.

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » November 15th, 2017, 10:18 pm

A word of warning regarding the hotels.com website.

Absolutely right. I too buy via hotels.com (which is basically Expedia) but you get vastly different prices quoted depending on how you reach their site. You have to be savvy and still compare elsewhere. Once I have found a competitive room/rate on their site, I return to hotels.com via quidco or topcashback to get cashback on top.

Do try to call the hotel directly as well. A colleague was visiting last week and hotels.com quoted £72 for a budget hotel room which was the cheapest in the City, he called the hotel and got the same room for £60.

There is a catch on their free reward rooms - after ten bookings you get a free night to the value of the average price across the ten stays. I have two of reward nights to take but they can only be used against selected hotels and ones without the discounted rates. You have to watch that, after converting the Tesco vouchers, you don't suffer from the same trap.

N.

(PS personally I find the best value Tesco voucher deals are the 4x ones for Pizza Express and Days Out with the kids)

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » November 16th, 2017, 1:24 am

neversay wrote:I have two of reward nights to take but they can only be used against selected hotels and ones without the discounted rates. You have to watch that, after converting the Tesco vouchers, you don't suffer from the same trap.

If you are paying using Tesco vouchers, you don't get the reward nights.

Whilst there's quite a wide choice of tempting offers on how to spend Tesco vouchers, spending Nectar points at anything better than 1:1 seems elusive.

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » November 16th, 2017, 10:55 am

Alaric wrote: spending Nectar points at anything better than 1:1 seems elusive.

There's a one week double up, yesterday until next Wednesday https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopp ... s#doubleup on Nectar.

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » November 16th, 2017, 2:25 pm

Alaric wrote:
neversay wrote:I have two of reward nights to take but they can only be used against selected hotels and ones without the discounted rates. You have to watch that, after converting the Tesco vouchers, you don't suffer from the same trap.

If you are paying using Tesco vouchers, you don't get the reward nights.

My reply was a bit ambiguous. I meant that, like for reward nights, if you buy with Tesco vouchers then you may not get offered their usual discount prices.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » November 16th, 2017, 5:19 pm

With a number of hotels I've seen the price on the comparison site and then rung them direct and they have happily beaten that price.

Why? One owner/manager explained it by saying you pay now, the advanced payment you make through the website can take a couple of months to arrive.

Always worth talking direct.

Slarti

Return to “Living Below Your Means”