Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Groupon

Making your money go further
gnawsome
Lemon Slice

Groupon

Postby gnawsome » January 28th, 2018, 2:24 pm

Is this a reputable concern?
I ordered on 22.1 and 'tracking' indicates only to be processing.
What they have delivered is a blizzard of junk emails.
I am wondering if it is an enterprise that harvests addresses with apparent bargains and just refunds the money when complaints are made.
Have others experienced good or bad service?

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Re: Groupon

Postby Maroochydore » January 28th, 2018, 4:37 pm

I've never used them but my friend thinks they are brilliant.

Deffo not a con.

gnawsome
Lemon Slice

Postby gnawsome » January 30th, 2018, 10:49 pm

Maroochydore wrote:I've never used them but my friend thinks they are brilliant.

Deffo not a con.

Still waiting for delivery...

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » January 31st, 2018, 9:08 am

I used to be a very regular customer and got some ace deals, but not for a long time now.

So they are legit, from that point of view. But their customer service can be exceedingly hot and miss, as they no more than middlemen for the end retailer, who sometimes gets completely overwhelmed with demand (anecdotal reports tell of groupon giving very poor advice to potential suppliers).

This was local to me some years ago. https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local ... co-4207559
I was one of their customers and they way they dealt with it was to divert all calls to answerphone, and not answer emails at all. I would have been far more forgiving if they had been honest and not just effectively told me to piss off, leaving me in the dark, on their answerphone message. As it was, I ended up cancelling my order, got a refund and thought no more of it. Till about a month later my intended recipient called to thank me for the random cakes. Given their earlier attitude, I didn't bother to call back and pay for the cakes they had delivered FOC.

gnawsome
Lemon Slice

Postby gnawsome » January 31st, 2018, 2:58 pm

gnawsome wrote:
Maroochydore wrote:I've never used them but my friend thinks they are brilliant.

Deffo not a con.

Still waiting for delivery...

Delivered today

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Postby funduffer » February 1st, 2018, 4:59 pm

I booked a short cruise break on Groupon, just a few days before it was due to take place.

I waited for the email with the voucher, until I got close to the time when I had to leave home to catch the ship.

I rang them to ask, where is my voucher? It took a while to get through but eventually, I spoke to someone, and said I was leaving now, and the voucher had better be waiting for me at the port. It was, but it caused my wife and I some stress we could have done without.

Not impressed, have not booked anything since.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » February 4th, 2018, 6:21 pm

My experience is it can be very hit and miss and when it works it is good, but when it doesn't...

I paid for one deal from a restaurant I had used before, with the deal being a meal for two and wine.

As with most of these deals there is a requirement to phone to book, so I called up explaining it was a Groupon voucher; response was "no need to book, come in anytime". When I turned up three hours later I get told they don't accept Groupon vouchers. Hmm.

I explained I had called, but there was just a shrugging of shoulders, so not wanting to get into an argument, I said I would take it up with Groupon. There response was, OK, instead of a meal and wine I could have 1/2 price food (the restaurant is on Tastecard, so no offer really). Umm, no, I will still take it up with Groupon.

At that point they gave in and agreed I could have the food and drink. So I ordered exactly what the deal was and nothing more to avoid any more arguments. End of the meal I indicate I was leaving and they told me to hang on and brought me a bill. It was for a service charge calculated at 12.5% of the menu price of the food and wine. As that wasn't mentioned on the voucher offer I declined (the service really didn't deserve it).

It didn't quite end up with me being chased down the street by the chef with a cleaver, but not far off.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”