Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Views on Carillion [CLLN] ?

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Re: Views on Carillion [CLLN] ?

Postby Bouleversee » February 18th, 2017, 2:14 pm

What is the significance of the circle with the rolling text on the left of Carillion in the list of subjects on this board?

toofast2live
Lemon Slice

Postby toofast2live » February 18th, 2017, 2:22 pm

Hover over it with your mouse pointer and read the text!

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » February 18th, 2017, 2:30 pm

Thanks, Toofast. I had done that/seen that but the same applies to other topics (ie it tells me there are no unread posts when I hover) where there is no rolling text. It's the latter I was querying.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » February 18th, 2017, 3:22 pm

Bouleversee wrote:What is the significance of the circle with the rolling text on the left of Carillion in the list of subjects on this board?

I think it is a scrolling icon to indicate a "hot" topic. I try and ignore them but they are distracting.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » February 18th, 2017, 3:28 pm

Many thanks PD.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 18th, 2017, 6:20 pm

Arborbridge wrote:Dod,
Doesn't really answer your question I'm afraid.

No, because there is a logical inconsistency at the heart of it, and I fall into the same trap myself. We hang on to shares which have become suspiciously high yield, yet we would not advocate buying the same share if we didn't already have it.
We hold on to shares with which we've developed a "feeling", but faced with a new share, we have nothing to go by except the figures.

So, someone who had held CLLN for years might conclude that it was OK to hold, whereas others wouldn't touch it - all based on the same set of numbers and history.

It comes down to rationalising what we do in each case- it isn't always logical.

Arb.

May chip in Arb, I've held CLLN for some time now, and thoroughly enjoy the dividends they've given me in the past. On looking at the figures as is now, I can't see any reason as to why they'd cut the dividend. IMHO, there's a sale on with CLLN shares. I bought RDSB last Jan @ 1305p during the oil issue, and have done well on them as a consequence. It is my intention to top up my CLLN holdings in March, depending how their results go. The bottom line for me, is to get my hands on CLLN shares while they're cheap, for a very long term hold. In short, " buy while there's blood on the street".

Ian.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » February 18th, 2017, 6:31 pm

idpickering wrote:
In short, " buy while there's blood on the street".

Ian.

Yes, but with the main US and UK markets close to record highs, there isn't exactly 'blood on the street'.

RC

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 18th, 2017, 6:36 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:
idpickering wrote:

Ian.

Yes, but with the main US and UK markets close to record highs, there isn't exactly 'blood on the street'.

RC

I was talking metaphorically in relation to CLLN shares now, and my buying RDSB during the 'oil crisis'.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » February 18th, 2017, 6:39 pm

"blood on the street" from the good kicking they [CLLN] seem to have had recently. I reckon it's time for a 999 call!

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » February 18th, 2017, 6:51 pm

idpickering wrote:
ReformedCharacter wrote:
idpickering wrote:

Ian.

RC

I was talking metaphorically in relation to CLLN shares now, and my buying RDSB during the 'oil crisis'.

Yes, I like cheap shares too and also bought Shell (RDSB) when they were rather cheaper than they are now. I also have a holding of Carillion (CLLN) but in my view they are rather a different prospect and I must admit I'm not exactly sure what is going on there. Buying now seems to be taking a bet that the market is completely wrong in its valuation of the business, so I'm sitting this one out.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

RC

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » February 19th, 2017, 5:46 pm

I probably would buy more CLLN, but I am almost up to my limit for them, so I will be looking elsewhere for a while.
Whatever the truth of the current situation, one thing I don't like doing is getting in too deep.

Thanks, BTW to people such as Gengulphus who years ago, taught me to keep a check on how much capital had been invested in each share, to avoid that very issue concerning "going overboard".

Arb.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » February 22nd, 2017, 9:15 pm

I've just come across a cutting about Carillion which says they clean hospitals, maintain roads and earn dependable income from long-term public-private partnerships. Judging by the appalling state of our roads, one would think there was enough work to keep them busy for a long time and I think money has been set aside for this purpose. However, the quality of repairs is so low that I can't help thinking that they might get the sack. If they are responsible for the repairs where I live, I'd certainly give them the boot. Does anyone know if they do the repairs on local roads or is it just main highways and motorways?

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » February 23rd, 2017, 12:14 am

Having been thinking a great deal while choosing where to put the £20k cash ISA money I'm adding to my portfolio, and have decided that Carillion is just dropping too much for my taste. I have a small holding from 2014 which has dropped by 40% - it's one thing concentrating on income but ignoring such a concerted drop in capital is quite another. Sometimes you just have to accept that the market doesn't like a share and it's as well to stay away.

ayshfm1
Lemon Slice

Postby ayshfm1 » February 23rd, 2017, 9:00 am

They also do network maintenance for Openreach and recently

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/20 ... reach.html

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 23rd, 2017, 9:43 am

spiderbill wrote:Having been thinking a great deal while choosing where to put the £20k cash ISA money I'm adding to my portfolio, and have decided that Carillion is just dropping too much for my taste. I have a small holding from 2014 which has dropped by 40% - it's one thing concentrating on income but ignoring such a concerted drop in capital is quite another. Sometimes you just have to accept that the market doesn't like a share and it's as well to stay away.

Are you leaving them alone in your HYP then Spider? I'm 32% down currently and they're a real drag on the HYP. It is tempting to sell out and move on but I don't like to tinker if I can help it. I don't get the share at all, with no bad news and steady contract wins, what gives? My intention was to top up CLLN next month but we'll see what happens come their results on 1 Mar.

Ian.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » February 23rd, 2017, 10:09 am

idpickering wrote:? I'm 32% down currently and they're a real drag on the HYP. It is tempting to sell out and move on...

Did I miss an income cut somewhere? The last few dividends have moved positively and the Digital Look forecast is for another 0.5p next year, cover is over 1.5 and revenue has been rising.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » February 23rd, 2017, 10:26 am

ayshfm1 wrote:They also do network maintenance for Openreach and recently

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/20 ... reach.html

So should I blame them rather than Openreach for the fiasco over my recent switch to fibre which required 3 different engineers to attend the cabinet and sort out the routing problem, with long delays in between and took forever? And when an Openreach engineer visits the house to see if the problem is inside, which it never has been, is that really a Carillion employee wearing an OR hat and driving an OR van or are they only involved in the big stuff?

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » February 23rd, 2017, 10:40 am

Bouleversee wrote:So should I blame them rather than Openreach for the fiasco over my recent switch to fibre which required 3 different engineers to attend the cabinet and sort out the routing problem, with long delays in between and took forever? And when an Openreach engineer visits the house to see if the problem is inside, which it never has been, is that really a Carillion employee wearing an OR hat and driving an OR van or are they only involved in the big stuff?

Do they work in your area, Lorna? CarillionTelent is a joint venture working for Openreach. I don't know if they do more that provide the infrastructure. When I upgraded in the past I have had a subcontractor to Openreach and Openreach themselves do the work in the house.

Do they use vans in Openreach livery?

TJH

ayshfm1
Lemon Slice

Postby ayshfm1 » February 23rd, 2017, 10:43 am

A Carillion joint venture has won an extension to a broadband cabling framework with BT, worth up to 900m to the contractor. The Carillion telent 60:40 joint venture has signed a three-year extension, extendable to five years, with BT division Openreach.
The team will extend and repair the telephone and data network across the North-east, Midlands, Wales, South-west, London and Northern home counties of England.
It also includes asset assurance works in England and Wales. The initial three- year period runs until the end of 2021.
Carillion telent has been Openreach's main delivery partner for the last eight years.
Richard Howson, Carillion chief executive, said: "We are delighted to have agreed this extension to our framework agreement with Openreach, which reflects the strong partnership we have built with Openreach over the last eight years."

It'll be an Openreach engineer, not a Carillion one.

I bought for my ISA today ahead of the results. I'll wait for the results to see what I do in the SIPP.

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » February 23rd, 2017, 10:44 am

idpickering wrote:
I'm 32% down currently and they're a real drag on the HYP. It is tempting to sell out and move on but I don't like to tinker if I can help it. I don't get the share at all, with no bad news and steady contract wins, what gives? My intention was to top up CLLN next month but we'll see what happens come their results on 1 Mar.

Ian.

But won't it still be a drag after you sell as the 32% of capital has gone? So the question is can you do better by reallocating that capital to a new share. CLLN hasn't cut the dividend and there are no obvious reason for the falls from any of the Company's announcements. It may be that the capital will continue to perform poorly, but you already have a very good dividend locked in that you would be unlikely to be able to replace by buying a new share with the reduced capital. For me its a question of dividend safety, if I thought there was a dividend cut coming I might be tempted to sell now, but the only thing that suggests that is the falling share price. So for me I'm going to hold, I might even buy more but I want to have a close look at the next results before I do. My holding was at median level when I bought, but like you capital is about 30% down, however I've had a decent dividend whilst I've held (so overall only 12% down). If it can keep paying the dividend then I'm happy.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”