Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Trimming Unilever

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Darka
Lemon Slice

Trimming Unilever

Postby Darka » August 8th, 2018, 1:08 pm

My holding of Unilever (ULVR) exceeded my threshold of 150% median value, so with it doing well but yielding not so much compared to other offerings I decided to sell 25% bringing it down to 114% of median, which I'm more comfortable with.

With the proceeds I've topped up the following:

Standard Life Aberdeen (SLA) - Now a full holding
British Tobacco (BATS) - Now a full holing
Merchants Trust (MRCH) - Off Topic for this board.

So, increased my annual dividends by approx. £225 which is around a .81% increase over forecast income.

I also topped up:

Imperial Brands (IMB) - which has added some additional income at a higher yield.

Anyway, that's it until the end of the month when I can add some more funds.

regards,
Darka

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Trimming Unilever

Postby Itsallaguess » August 8th, 2018, 1:28 pm

Darka wrote:
So, increased my annual dividends by approx. £225 which is around a .81% increase over forecast income.

A very worthwhile exercise in terms of HYP-management if you're of the 'not-Doris' mind-set :-

1. Improved HYP diversification (O/T action noted too..)

2. Improved HYP income (in terms of both 'actual income', and 'diversification of income' too....)

3. An entry in the 'must do something about that....' journal can now be crossed off....

I personally think there are few more satisfying HYP-management tasks than when something strays well overweight like this, to a point where re-allocated capital can tick all of the above boxes.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » August 8th, 2018, 1:45 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:3. An entry in the 'must do something about that....' journal can now be crossed off....

I personally think there are few more satisfying HYP-management tasks than when something strays well overweight like this, to a point where re-allocated capital can tick all of the above boxes.

Thanks Itsallaguess,

It's been on my mind to do this for a while, last time they were over 150% median, I deliberated too much and then the price dropped so this time I decided to be more mechanical and just do it.

The increased diversification was the main reason, the additional income being a nice bonus and helps toward my eventual FIRE goal.

regards,
Darka

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 8th, 2018, 1:49 pm

I cannot bring myself to sell any Unilever but I am well overweight in it. The trouble (benefit?) is that mine are held in certificated form and were I to sell any I would need to transfer some into a Trading Account. I want to keep them in certificated form for all sorts of reasons.

Moderator Message:
Misleading and untrue comment removed

TJH

Dod

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » August 8th, 2018, 1:58 pm

Dod101 wrote:I cannot bring myself to sell any Unilever but I am well overweight in it.

I completely understand that Dod, but I decided this year to be better at managing my portfolio than I have been in the past and gently nudge it in the direction that I'd like it to go it.

My overriding desire is for the income of course, but also as I get older (and nearer to retirement) I find myself wanting to spread the risk and be more active in diversifying my income portfolio.

If the Unilever price drops and the yield increases, then I'd be more than happy to top up - I think it's a great company.

regards,
Darka

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”