Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

BT Group down over 3% today.

Practical discussions about equity High-Yield Portfolios (HYP) for income
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4220
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 5:04 pm
Has thanked: 606 times
Been thanked: 1302 times

BT Group down over 3% today.

#231788

Postby idpickering » June 24th, 2019, 5:30 pm

This might be why;

Deutsche Bank downgrades BT Group to 'sell' on expected rise in capex

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... rdinary-5p - the mention of this event is on that page.

I hold BT.A in my HYP, and am tempted to top up next month before the finals ex div date, that being 8/8/19, for a 10.78p dividend.

Ian.

MDW1954
Lemon Slice
Posts: 715
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 8:46 pm
Has thanked: 125 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: BT Group down over 3% today.

#231844

Postby MDW1954 » June 24th, 2019, 10:40 pm

I see a truly massive sale went through as the market closed. Interesting to see the effect of this on tomorrow's price.

As ever, it's down to dividend sustainability. Would that BT were a more reliable boyfriend, to recycle the media's favourite Mark Carney epithet.

MDW1954

PinkDalek
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3965
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:12 pm
Has thanked: 914 times
Been thanked: 1020 times

Re: BT Group down over 3% today.

#231848

Postby PinkDalek » June 24th, 2019, 10:50 pm

MDW1954 wrote:I see a truly massive sale went through as the market closed. Interesting to see the effect of this on tomorrow's price. ...


The ‘Uncrossed trade’ (volume 7.785 million ords) timed at 16:35pm or something else? If the former that’s the closing auction as can be seen here (if you click on More next to Last 5 trades):

https://www.londonstockexchange.com/exc ... XSET1.html

Dod101
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3237
Joined: October 10th, 2017, 11:33 am
Has thanked: 608 times
Been thanked: 1149 times

Re: BT Group down over 3% today.

#231853

Postby Dod101 » June 24th, 2019, 11:07 pm

BT [imho] is a waste of time and space from an investment point of view. Whether that is down to the Government or to the regulator I do not know. It is though, best to keep clear of utilities of most sorts because they need regulating and few regulators at least over the long term are concerned about the interests of the lenders (shareholders) rather than those of the populace ( the customers).

That is my conclusion anyway.

Dod

Moderator Message:
edited at Dod's own request, dspp

Quint
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 205
Joined: January 22nd, 2018, 3:06 pm
Has thanked: 101 times
Been thanked: 65 times

Re: BT Group down over 3% today.

#231894

Postby Quint » June 25th, 2019, 10:07 am

Dod101 wrote:BT [imho] is a waste of time and space from an investment point of view. Whether that is down to the Government or to the regulator I do not know. It is though, best to keep clear of utilities of most sorts because they need regulating and few regulators at least over the long term are concerned about the interests of the lenders (shareholders) rather than those of the populace ( the customers).

That is my conclusion anyway.

Dod

Moderator Message:
edited at Dod's own request, dspp


Dod, Me and the Mrs each have a small holding of BT in the income part of our SIPP. However as usual I am inclined to agree with you and will not be adding to these holdings.

Interesting there was a broker upgrade on Vodafone to buy with a target price of £240, I bet there are a few of us hoping they know something we do not.

I think there are better areas than telecoms to invest in.

AndyPandy
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 202
Joined: November 6th, 2016, 11:46 pm
Has thanked: 114 times
Been thanked: 61 times

Re: BT Group down over 3% today.

#231966

Postby AndyPandy » June 25th, 2019, 2:10 pm

Quint wrote:Dod, Me and the Mrs each have a small holding of BT in the income part of our SIPP. However as usual I am inclined to agree with you and will not be adding to these holdings.


Small holding here, too. Used to be a large holding...
Richard Branson nearly wrote:If you want to be a Millionaire, become a Billionaire and buy shares in BT


Quint wrote:Interesting there was a broker upgrade on Vodafone to buy with a target price of £240, I bet there are a few of us hoping they know something we do not.

I think there are better areas than telecoms to invest in.


If there's any chance of them hitting £240, I'll be sorted for life :)

Dod101
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3237
Joined: October 10th, 2017, 11:33 am
Has thanked: 608 times
Been thanked: 1149 times

Re: BT Group down over 3% today.

#231994

Postby Dod101 » June 25th, 2019, 4:04 pm

AndyPandy wrote:Small holding here, too. Used to be a large holding...
Richard Branson nearly wrote:If you want to be a Millionaire, become a Billionaire and buy shares in BT


Quint wrote:Interesting there was a broker upgrade on Vodafone to buy with a target price of £240, I bet there are a few of us hoping they know something we do not.

I think there are better areas than telecoms to invest in.


The tobaccos would have done the job just as well.

Dod

Quint
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 205
Joined: January 22nd, 2018, 3:06 pm
Has thanked: 101 times
Been thanked: 65 times

Re: BT Group down over 3% today.

#232036

Postby Quint » June 25th, 2019, 7:26 pm

Dod101 wrote:
AndyPandy wrote:Small holding here, too. Used to be a large holding...
Richard Branson nearly wrote:If you want to be a Millionaire, become a Billionaire and buy shares in BT


Quint wrote:Interesting there was a broker upgrade on Vodafone to buy with a target price of £240, I bet there are a few of us hoping they know something we do not.

I think there are better areas than telecoms to invest in.


The tobaccos would have done the job just as well.

Dod


Indeed, but at least they have not cut the dividend,,,,,,,,, yet.

MDW1954
Lemon Slice
Posts: 715
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 8:46 pm
Has thanked: 125 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: BT Group down over 3% today.

#232060

Postby MDW1954 » June 25th, 2019, 10:53 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
MDW1954 wrote:I see a truly massive sale went through as the market closed. Interesting to see the effect of this on tomorrow's price. ...


The ‘Uncrossed trade’ (volume 7.785 million ords) timed at 16:35pm or something else? If the former that’s the closing auction as can be seen here (if you click on More next to Last 5 trades):

https://www.londonstockexchange.com/exc ... XSET1.html


Alas, I can't remember! The time sounds about right, though. Even so, not good.

MDW1954

monabri
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2715
Joined: January 7th, 2017, 9:56 am
Has thanked: 279 times
Been thanked: 658 times

Re: BT Group down over 3% today.

#232072

Postby monabri » June 25th, 2019, 11:43 pm

MDW1954 wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:
MDW1954 wrote:I see a truly massive sale went through as the market closed. Interesting to see the effect of this on tomorrow's price. ...


The ‘Uncrossed trade’ (volume 7.785 million ords) timed at 16:35pm or something else? If the former that’s the closing auction as can be seen here (if you click on More next to Last 5 trades):

https://www.londonstockexchange.com/exc ... XSET1.html


Alas, I can't remember! The time sounds about right, though. Even so, not good.

MDW1954


The UT figure can effectively be ignored...

viewtopic.php?p=181955#p181955

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3327
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:35 am
Has thanked: 668 times
Been thanked: 731 times

Re: BT Group down over 3% today.

#232501

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 28th, 2019, 10:48 am

Probably not related, but interesting
https://www.orange.com/en/Press-Room/pr ... -Group-plc
Orange announces the launch of the sale of its residual stake in BT Group plc of approximately 248 million shares, representing around 2.5% of the share capital

Quint
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 205
Joined: January 22nd, 2018, 3:06 pm
Has thanked: 101 times
Been thanked: 65 times

Re: BT Group down over 3% today.

#232594

Postby Quint » June 28th, 2019, 4:44 pm

AndyPandy wrote:
Quint wrote:Dod, Me and the Mrs each have a small holding of BT in the income part of our SIPP. However as usual I am inclined to agree with you and will not be adding to these holdings.


Small holding here, too. Used to be a large holding...
Richard Branson nearly wrote:If you want to be a Millionaire, become a Billionaire and buy shares in BT


Quint wrote:Interesting there was a broker upgrade on Vodafone to buy with a target price of £240, I bet there are a few of us hoping they know something we do not.

I think there are better areas than telecoms to invest in.


If there's any chance of them hitting £240, I'll be sorted for life :)


Doh, that of course should have been £2.40.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1068
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 10:30 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 221 times

Re: BT Group down over 3% today.

#232612

Postby kempiejon » June 28th, 2019, 7:05 pm

Quint wrote:If there's any chance of them hitting £240, I'll be sorted for life :).
...
Quint wrote:Doh, that of course should have been £2.40.

You're right both ways of course..

monabri
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2715
Joined: January 7th, 2017, 9:56 am
Has thanked: 279 times
Been thanked: 658 times

Re: BT Group down over 3% today.

#235740

Postby monabri » July 11th, 2019, 12:51 am

Article in The Telegraph today

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/ ... -chairman/

The new CEO said

"To be clear, we cannot influence our share prices this month, next month or in a year’s time. Other factors will drive it."


"At the meeting, Mr du Plessis told shareholders that he believes the share price will recover "in the long run" but that he would consider cutting shareholder payouts to fund BT's ambitious plans for a fibre broadband rollout. "

(I think talk of a divi cut might have an effect on the sp!)

Seems it was a tough meeting based on the reported heckling.

Mr du Plessis said he would not change BT's strategy even if the share price continues to tumble.

(Hmm...)

He then went on to say

"I think we could have this conversation in three years’ time. I genuinely believe this strategy is absolutely right. Execution will take time."

( disclosure..I have no holding in BT)

Wizard
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2462
Joined: November 7th, 2016, 8:22 am
Been thanked: 435 times

Re: BT Group down over 3% today.

#235757

Postby Wizard » July 11th, 2019, 7:47 am

monabri wrote:Article in The Telegraph today

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/ ... -chairman/

The new CEO said

"To be clear, we cannot influence our share prices this month, next month or in a year’s time. Other factors will drive it."


"At the meeting, Mr du Plessis told shareholders that he believes the share price will recover "in the long run" but that he would consider cutting shareholder payouts to fund BT's ambitious plans for a fibre broadband rollout. "

(I think talk of a divi cut might have an effect on the sp!)

Seems it was a tough meeting based on the reported heckling.

Mr du Plessis said he would not change BT's strategy even if the share price continues to tumble.

(Hmm...)

He then went on to say

"I think we could have this conversation in three years’ time. I genuinely believe this strategy is absolutely right. Execution will take time."

( disclosure..I have no holding in BT)

Thanks Mr du Plessis, wipe out 40% of shareholders' capital and then tell them you may cut their income. Top job. :roll:

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1041
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:53 am
Has thanked: 923 times
Been thanked: 154 times

Re: BT Group down over 3% today.

#235779

Postby jackdaww » July 11th, 2019, 9:09 am

yet another classic HYP selection bites the dust .

:cry:

Dod101
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3237
Joined: October 10th, 2017, 11:33 am
Has thanked: 608 times
Been thanked: 1149 times

Re: BT Group down over 3% today.

#235785

Postby Dod101 » July 11th, 2019, 9:36 am

jackdaww wrote:yet another classic HYP selection bites the dust .

:cry:


It did that a long while ago. You haven't been reading! This is just classic for BT. Whenever it seems to be recovering a bit, it falls again. Keep well clear.


Dod

daveh
Lemon Slice
Posts: 509
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:06 am
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 141 times

Re: BT Group down over 3% today.

#235803

Postby daveh » July 11th, 2019, 10:13 am

jackdaww wrote:yet another classic HYP selection bites the dust .

:cry:


#Except the share price is up ~1% today so the bosses comments yesterday haven't hurt the share price.

For me BT is showing an 87% gain (including dividends) and has paid me close to the original investment cost back in dividends. Capital is only showing a small gain. Share price has been a bit of a bumpy ride, as has the dividend, but I've been receiving more income since 2016 than I did before the big dividend cut in 2009.

88V8
Lemon Slice
Posts: 476
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:22 am
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 67 times

Re: BT Group down over 3% today.

#236050

Postby 88V8 » July 11th, 2019, 11:19 pm

Big pension overhang. No thanks.

V8

SentimentRules
Lemon Slice
Posts: 291
Joined: July 6th, 2019, 11:28 am
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: BT Group down over 3% today.

#236051

Postby SentimentRules » July 11th, 2019, 11:27 pm

When you look at fixed lines T sector, you have to wonder will it all be nationalised one day? To save it.


Return to “High Yield Portfolios (HYP) - Practical”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests