Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Carillion (Again)

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Carillion (Again)

Postby Dod101 » May 16th, 2018, 8:11 pm

I don't disagree with anything you are saying Arb. Maybe it is just my natural aversion to left wingers having a go. Of course I have had no truck with Carillion as you know. Someone was asking which company will be next. I do not know but of course there are a number in the support/contracting fields which are not looking too good, and then of course there is Centrica.

It all comes back to culture I am afraid and it was all wrong at Carillion that's for sure.

Dod

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » May 16th, 2018, 8:27 pm

Dod101 wrote:I don't disagree with anything you are saying Arb. Maybe it is just my natural aversion to left wingers having a go.

Dod

I did wonder if that might be behind your remark, but I didn't want to "labour" the point ;)

I've had some divergences myself from FF, but do not dismiss him because I believe he is actually a good egg. In any case, I would try not to let my political views detract from praise where it's due and the guy did a good job in this case.

Arb.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » May 17th, 2018, 9:59 pm

Moderator Message:
Please could you avoid the political comments. Thanks. Mel

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » May 18th, 2018, 8:06 pm

Checking my IMI dividends today I noticed the shares are now listed as follows on my account, with a price of 0.00p (and a change of -100% :cry: )

CARILLION PROVISIONAL LIQUIDATING SHS

The website states.
https://www.pwc.co.uk/services/business ... lders.html

It is expected that Carillion Plc will be delisted from the London Stock Exchange in due course. This will not affect a shareholding as such and shareholders will continue to own the shares. The shares will not be permitted to trade on the exchange.

So this parrot has very very nearly ceased to be. We are just waiting for the priest to arrive now to administer last rites.

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » August 13th, 2018, 3:23 pm

Afternoon all

Really sorry to drag this corpse up again but was reading this article https://www.businessinsider.com/loophol ... 018-7?IR=T where it explains that businesses can borrow money using a reverse factoring facility which essentially hides debt.

I don't quite understand the language used in the article,but it seems that in the annual accounts there are certain indicators that can lead to at least an indication of potential high jinks (they mention an increase in 'other payables' in the Carillion case).

It's a new one to me and I'm posting the link as I didn't know if this was well known, and if not, might be useful to know.

Cheers, OLTB

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 13th, 2018, 3:28 pm

Reverse factoring is when a finance company, such as a bank, interposes itself between a company and its suppliers and commits to pay the company's invoices to the suppliers at an accelerated rate in exchange for a discount.

That's the nub of it.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » August 13th, 2018, 3:32 pm

Arborbridge wrote:Reverse factoring is when a finance company, such as a bank, interposes itself between a company and its suppliers and commits to pay the company's invoices to the suppliers at an accelerated rate in exchange for a discount.

That's the nub of it.

I thought that was just 'factoring'?

Mel

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » August 13th, 2018, 4:02 pm

melonfool wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:Reverse factoring is when a finance company, such as a bank, interposes itself between a company and its suppliers and commits to pay the company's invoices to the suppliers at an accelerated rate in exchange for a discount.

That's the nub of it.

I thought that was just 'factoring'?

Mel

Thanks both - just read up on it here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_factoring which explains fairly well.

Cheers, OLTB.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » July 17th, 2019, 10:56 pm

This parrot finally has ceased to be. I've just spotted the final corporate action and adjustment on my account today.

Shares were removed from accounts on 04 July 2019.

No response required

Died on the Fourth of July [sic], one might say.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”