Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

HYP1 history references

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

HYP1 history references

Postby Gengulphus » November 17th, 2020, 7:34 pm

Introduction

This thread is a reference thread about the documented history of HYP1 - i.e. it is intended as a source that people can use to get links to the relevant TMF articles and posts on both TMF and TLF (or more exactly, to archived copies in the case of the TMF material). I've also included links to RNS announcements on Investegate about the corporate actions that affected HYP1 (which in some cases are the only links I have, due to the action not being spotted at the time, and either corrected later or left uncorrected if it hadn't made a significant difference).

Please don't post anything else to the thread - in particular, it is NOT a discussion thread, so please don't post discussions about HYP1's history to it, nor about how well it has done or not done, etc. Also please don't post either thanks or brickbats about my posting this thread, or anything else that will clutter it up from the point of view of someone who is just seeking the historical links and information. And as fair warning, I will report any such posts that are made, to ask the moderators to remove them for being off-topic for this thread.

I will post the links that I have got in year order, a year's worth of HYP1's history at a time, with the subject line of the post extended to indicate which year it is about. This will take a bit of time, as a certain amount of reformatting is needed from the form in which I've got it, to look up the Investegate links, and in some cases a bit of work to find the best archived copy on the Wayback Machine and/or to make the link point to the most relevant post in a TMF thread.

If people have links to further documents about the history of HYP1, they will of course be welcome on this thread (I do know that at least one such document existed, because I remember reading something written in 2008 or 2009 by pyad on a site other than TMF, detailing what he did about the three takeovers during HYP1's 'dark year' of 2008, but unfortunately I've never managed to find it again...). What I will ask, however, is that they are posted as replies to my post about the year concerned (or the last of those years if the document is about multiple years), to keep some sort of structure to this thread and to avoid a lot of potential duplication. This does imply holding off on posting such links until after I've got to the year concerned, please!

Finally, I will do my best to avoid errors in my year-by-year posts - but if I fail, please send me a PM about the error rather than cluttering up the thread with a posted reply about it. Assuming it really is an error, I'll probably respond by asking for the post to be edited to correct it, and to add a brief acknowledgement of the form "Edit: error pointed out by UserName corrected".

Gengulphus

Moderator Message:
I have asked Stephen Bland/ pyad if he can supply the information referred to in Gengulphus' fourth paragraph. --MDW1954
Last edited by Gengulphus on November 17th, 2020, 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

HYP1 history references - Setup and Year 1

Postby Gengulphus » November 17th, 2020, 7:35 pm

Setup

Introductory HYP article (6 November 2000)

HYP1 shares selected (13 November 2000)

End of year 1 reviews

Pyad's review and the discussion thread prompted by it

Gengulphus's review

Pyad's interim reviews during year 1

1 June 2001

27 July 2001 (this is when pyad decided the investment amount was £5k per holding)

28 September 2001

Year 1 corporate actions

December 2000: Blue Circle Industries return of capital (not spotted at the time, so no article or post, but accounted for at the time of the July 2001 takeover below)
Investegate link: Special dividend and share consolidation

May 2001: Anglo American 3-for-1 bonus issue, i.e. effectively a 4-for-1 split (*)
Investegate link: Corporate action notice

July 2001: Blue Circle Industries taken over and replaced with Hilton Group
Investegate link: Corporate action notice

July 2001: Bass renamed as Six Continents
Investegate link: EGM approval

(*) This happened before pyad's July 2001 review settled on £5k per holding and calculated the number of shares in each holding. As a result, the original Anglo American holding ended up as the equivalent of 131.5 pre-bonus-issue shares, i.e. it assumed an impossible initial purchase. However, this problem wasn't spotted until years later, when correcting it would have been a huge amount of work, and it only results in insignificant differences to HYP1's income and capital value, so it has been allowed to remain uncorrected.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

HYP1 history references - Year 2

Postby Gengulphus » November 17th, 2020, 7:37 pm

End of year 2 reviews

Pyad's review

Gengulphus's review

Pyad's interim reviews during year 2

25 January 2002

5 April 2002

31 May 2002

26 July 2002

27 September 2002

Year 2 corporate action

September 2002: Land Securities return of capital
Investegate link: Scheme of arrangement

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

HYP1 history references - Year 3

Postby Gengulphus » November 17th, 2020, 7:38 pm

End of year 3 reviews

Pyad's review and the discussion thread prompted by it

Gengulphus's review

Pyad's interim reviews during year 3

31 January 2003

27 March 2003

29 May 2003

25 July 2003

26 September 2003

Year 3 corporate actions

April 2003: Six Continents demerges into Intercontinental Hotels and Mitchells & Butlers, with some capital returned.

September 2003: United Utilities first stage of 2-stage rights issue (note that HYP1 sidesteps the second stage, so don't expect to find it further down this thread)
No useful Investegate links found (looks like an Investegate glitch in 2003, failing to capture many United Utilities RNSes for some reason)

October 2003: RSA rights issue
Investegate links: Rights issue announced, 'Rump' placing

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

HYP1 history references - Year 4

Postby Gengulphus » November 17th, 2020, 7:39 pm

End of year 4 review

Pyad's review (no board discussion happened that I know of)

Pyad's interim reviews during year 4

30 January 2004

12 March 2004

21 May 2004

30 July 2004

1 October 2004

Year 4 corporate action

December 2003: Mitchells & Butlers return of capital

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

HYP1 history references - Year 5

Postby Gengulphus » November 18th, 2020, 10:01 am

End of year 5 reviews

Pyad's review, the discussion thread associated with it, and a stand-alone post that looks to have been intended to be a part of that thread.

Gengulphus's income report

Pyad's interim reviews during year 5

7 January 2005

11 March 2005

13 May 2005

15 July 2005

7 October 2005

Year 5 corporate actions

December 2004: Intercontinental Hotels return of capital - this wasn't mentioned at the time, but I discovered it in 2009. My calculation then of the effect of reinvesting the special dividend into the holding was that it would have exactly reversed the effect of the share consolidation, so that there was no effect on HYP1 (this does depend on the exact share price when the reinvestment was done, and doing it at another price/time than my calculation assumed might change that conclusion to HYP1 gaining or losing a share or two, but that's hardly significant!). This of course makes it uncertain whether this return of capital went completely unnoticed at the time, or was noticed but not mentioned because it had no overall effect on HYP1.

June 2005: Intercontinental Hotels return of capital

July 2005: Shell reunification (which included a renaming from 'Shell' Transport & Trading to Royal Dutch Shell)

September 2005: Britannic and Resolution merge (effect on HYP1 was just a renaming of Britannic to Resolution)
I have failed to find an Investegate link about this merger - the subsequent takeover of Resolution in 2008 and various company name / ticker changes may mean RNSes about it are no longer there at all, or may merely have defeated my Investegate searching skills...

pyad
Lemon Slice

Re: HYP1 history references

Postby pyad » November 18th, 2020, 2:31 pm

Gengulphus wrote:...If people have links to further documents about the history of HYP1, they will of course be welcome on this thread (I do know that at least one such document existed, because I remember reading something written in 2008 or 2009 by pyad on a site other than TMF, detailing what he did about the three takeovers during HYP1's 'dark year' of 2008, but unfortunately I've never managed to find it again...

Gengulphus

Moderator Message:
I have asked Stephen Bland/ pyad if he can supply the information referred to in Gengulphus' fourth paragraph. --MDW1954

As requested. 2008 was a busy year for HYP1 corporate events. There were four:

Alliance & Leicester was the subject of a bid from Banco Santander. I did not want to hold the latter share so sold in the market for £2,211 The proceeds were reinvested in RD Shell B.

Resolution and Scottish & Newcastle were both taken over for cash, the sum of the two realising £11,961. I divided this equally into purchasing two new shares, Pearson and Persimmon.

United Utillities held a share consolidation and cash return which realised £1,376. This was reinvested in Lloyds.

Note that with the above and every corporate transaction ever made in HYP1 all costs are always brought in to make it realistic.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

HYP1 history references - Year 6

Postby Gengulphus » November 18th, 2020, 10:49 pm

End of year 6 reviews

Pyad's review, a discussion thread associated with it, another discussion thread associated with it, and a stand-alone post associated with it.

Pyad's interim reviews during year 6

13 January 2006

30 June 2006

11 October 2006

Year 6 corporate actions

February 2006: Hilton Group renamed as Ladbrokes
Investegate link: Name change effective

February 2006: Boots return of capital - this does not appear to have been mentioned at the time, but HYP1's number of Boots shares was 861 in the Year 4 end-of-year review, and (by then called Alliance Boots) was 819 in a January 2007 post by pyad. The only way I have managed to reconcile the income figures of £259 in the Year 5 end-of-year review and £267 in the Year 6 end-of-year review with the company's dividend record is that the former is the 2005 final of 21p and 2006 interim of 9.1p (both of which went ex in Year 5) paid on 861 shares, and the latter is the 2006 final of 21p and a "Merger dividend" of 10p that took the place of a 2007 interim (both of which went ex in Year 6 after this return of capital), also paid on 861 shares. If this is the explanation of the dividend amounts, it's an error, because those Year 6 dividends should have been paid on 819 shares rather than 861. Having said that, though, it's not a significant error, because all it changes is that the £267 income figure for Alliance Boots in the Year 6 end-of-year review should be £254, making the total income figure in that review £4,118 rather than £4,131.
Investegate links: Special dividend and share consolidation, Merger dividend, no interim dividend

April 2006: Ladbrokes return of capital - this does not appear to have been mentioned at the time, but HYP1's number of Hilton Group shares was 2275 in the Year 4 end-of-year review, and (by then called Ladbrokes) was 2217 in a January 2007 post by pyad. A careful look at the income figures of £223 in the Year 5 end-of-year review, £252 in the Year 6 end-of-year review, and the company's dividend record says that they are only compatible with receiving dividends on 2275 shares for the 2004 final of 6.0p, the 2005 interim of 3.8p and the 2005 final of 6.6p, but on 2217 shares for the 2006 interim of 4.6p (with interims going ex in September of the same year and finals in March or April of the following year). So it's pretty clear that this return of capital was responsible for a drop in the share count from 2275 to 2217, and the details of the return of capital (233.4p special dividend, 6-for-17 consolidation) make it clear that HYP1's normal practice was followed of reinvesting the special dividend to counteract the effects of the consolidation as far as possible.
Investegate links: Special dividend and share consolidation

June 2006: Intercontinental Hotels return of capital - just like the December 2004 return of capital described for Year 5 above, this doesn't appear to have been mentioned at the time, was discovered in 2009, and the calculation done then indicates it would have left HYP1's number of shares unchanged.

July 2006: Boots merges with Alliance UniChem to form Alliance Boots (effect on HYP1 was just a renaming of Boots to Alliance Boots)
Investegate links: Merger done by Scheme of arrangement, scheme becomes effective

August 2006: Resolution rights issue - this does not appear to have been mentioned at the time, but the number of shares was 485 in the Year 4 end-of-year review (before the effective renaming from Britannic to Resolution by the Year 5 merger) and was 539 in a January 2007 post by pyad. That increase of 54 shares seems reasonably compatible with HYP1's usual practice of letting rights issues lapse and reinvesting the lapsed rights payment in the same company - which is the best that can be said without knowing the share price at which the reinvestment bought.
Investegate links: Rights issue details, 'Rump' placing

August 2006: Associated British Ports taken over and replaced by BT

October 2006: Mitchells & Butlers return of capital - this does not seems to have been mentioned at the time, and the Year 4 end-of-year review share count of 691 is unchanged in a January 2007 post by pyad. When I discovered this apparently overlooked corporate action in 2009, I calculated that the share consolidation would have lost 118 shares and reinvestment of the special dividend would have only bought 110 shares, for a net loss of 8 shares. But it's conceivable that pyad managed to do his reinvestment at a share price about 7% lower and bought back 118 shares, for no net change to the holding size, so it's not certain that it was overlooked. In any event, Mitchells & Butlers has contributed very little to HYP1's performance since, so a few shares more or less in the holding are very insignificant.

An extra

A mainly-October 2006 discussion about how HYP1 was dealing with special dividends, etc.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

HYP1 history references - Year 7

Postby Gengulphus » November 19th, 2020, 11:36 am

End of year 7 reviews

Pyad's review, a discussion thread associated with it and another discussion thread associated with it.

Pyad's interim reviews during year 7

10 January 2007

18 April 2007

10 October 2007

Year 7 corporate actions

April 2007: Gallaher taken over and replaced by British America Tobacco

June 2007: Intercontinental Hotels return of capital - just like the December 2004 and June 2006 returns of capital described for Years 5 and 6 above, this doesn't appear to have been mentioned at the time and was discovered in 2009. There is the difference that the calculation done then indicates that the combined effect of the share consolidation and reinvesting the special dividend would have reduced HYP1's number of shares from 631 to 623 rather than leave it unchanged. That's not a hugely significant reduction, though, and it might have been made smaller by managing to do the reinvestment at a better price (or even conceivably eliminated if the price was sufficiently better).

June 2007: Alliance Boots taken over and replaced by DSG International
Investegate links: Scheme of arrangement, Price revised upwards

July 2007: Anglo American demerges Mondi (an earlier discussion will hopefully be helpful in understanding this rather complicated corporate action)
Investegate link: Demerger announced

Extras

An update on share counts as of 27 January 2007.

The Sorceror's Apprentice - a February 2007 discussion about how one might have tinkered HYP1 at the time. Not actual HYP1 history, so maybe a bit out of place in this thread, but I feel it's too good for the link not to be included in this reference thread. (Though as a reminder, if anyone wants to discuss it, please don't do so by replying to this post - instead, copy the link into a new thread where it can be discussed without making people who are just trying to find HYP1 links wade through the discussion.)

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » November 29th, 2020, 8:42 am

I appreciate this must be a time consuming exercise and you may be busy with other bings, but I was hoping the links to PYAD’s year 8 and 9 reviews could be added even if it is with no other links or commentary. Thanks in advance.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » November 30th, 2020, 12:41 am

Wizard wrote:I appreciate this must be a time consuming exercise and you may be busy with other bings, but I was hoping the links to PYAD’s year 8 and 9 reviews could be added even if it is with no other links or commentary. Thanks in advance.

Here is pyad's year 9 review - but I'm afraid it's pretty short on detail and I doubt that it contains what you want. Pyad was absent from TMF for a bit over a year from March 2008, and so didn't produce a year 8 review on TMF in November 2008; as I said in my OP, I think I saw one he produced elsewhere then or in the next few months, but have not been able to find it again - so what he's said above in viewtopic.php?p=35776 is essentially all the first-hand information I have from him about year 8.

I am however working on piecing together detailed posts about years 8 and 9 from that information and other less direct sources - but it does require some time when I'm able to concentrate on getting it right, and yes, I've had some other things I've needed to do! Once I've done those years, I'll be past HYP1's 'dark years' and should be able to post years 10-20 at a reasonable pace. (In the meantime, everybody, please refrain from discussing this response on this thread - such discussion will slow me down, not speed me up, and it will also detract from this thread's value as a reference thread.)

Gengulphus

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Re: HYP1 history references - Year 6

Postby Gengulphus » November 30th, 2020, 10:52 am

Fixing an inadvertent omission in the above:

Gengulphus wrote:October 2006: Mitchells & Butlers return of capital - this does not seems to have been mentioned at the time, and the Year 4 end-of-year review share count of 691 is unchanged in a January 2007 post by pyad. When I discovered this apparently overlooked corporate action in 2009, I calculated that the share consolidation would have lost 118 shares and reinvestment of the special dividend would have only bought 110 shares, for a net loss of 8 shares. But it's conceivable that pyad managed to do his reinvestment at a share price about 7% lower and bought back 118 shares, for no net change to the holding size, so it's not certain that it was overlooked. In any event, Mitchells & Butlers has contributed very little to HYP1's performance since, so a few shares more or less in the holding are very insignificant.

Investegate link: https://investegate.co.uk/mitchells---b ... 01326774J/

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Re: HYP1 history references - Year 7

Postby Gengulphus » November 30th, 2020, 2:59 pm

A note about pyad's end-of-year 7 review is that I think it understates the year's dividend income by about £124. I came across this issue while trying to reconcile my information on share counts for the Year 8 and Year 9 posts (which I am still working on); it's to do with the Land Securities dividends, which pyad's review says are £325 and my calculation says are £449. I think the probable reason is that Land Securities switched from half-yearly to quarterly dividends during the year, with an interim of 19p, a final of 34p and a first quarter of 16p all going ex-dividend during the year, on 6 December 2006, 20 June 2007 and 19 September 2007 respectively (and all three were also paid before 13 November 2007, so this isn't an ex-dividend-vs-payment date issue). With the holding being 651 shares throughout the year, that makes the Year 7 dividends 651*(19p+34p+16p) = £449. I suspect the £325 figure arose from failing to include the 19p interim.

I've also found some other discrepancies between my figures and the review's, but they're much smaller (under £10 in every case). I suspect they're due to things like using different exchange rates and rounding effects, but they're too small to be worth tracking down and describing in detail. I'm not even entirely certain this one was, but £124 is getting on for a 3% boost to the review's figure of £4,452, so not completely trivial.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Re: HYP1 history references - Year 8

Postby Gengulphus » December 2nd, 2020, 8:33 am

End of year 8 reviews

As far as I am aware, neither pyad nor anyone else produced a Year 8 end-of-year review for HYP1. This was due to pyad leaving TMF for somewhat over a year from March 2008.

On the TMF board, there was a review by kool4kats whose subject indicates that it is a HYP1 review, but it is actually a review of what was later called CHYP1. CHYP1 was identical to HYP1 up to and including Year 6, and only deviated very slightly from HYP1 in Year 7 (due to failing to find pyad's post about how he'd dealt with Anglo American's demerger of Mondi, as a result of which the small reinvestment of the Mondi sales proceeds was done differently to HYP1). In Year 8, however, TMF board users chose CHYP1 replacements for Resolution, Scottish & Newcastle and Alliance & Leicester that completely differed from those that it later emerged pyad had chosen for HYP1, so the deviations became rather more significant.

CHYP1 and HYP1 did have a fair amount in common, so kool4kats's review does give a very rough idea of HYP1's state at the end of Year 8 (this becomes increasingly less true in later years, mainly due to one of HYP1's replacements having been the hugely successful Persimmon and CHYP1's replacements not having included anything similar).

Reconstructing HYP1's holdings at the end of Year 8

This is mainly based on pyad's posts in January 2007 and December 2009, plus knowledge of which holdings were and were not affected by corporate actions in each of Year 7 (after the January 2007 post), Year 8, Year 9, and the small part of Year 10 before the December 2009 post. The following table summarises that information, with 'x's indicating years when no corporate action affected each company:

For all the holdings except DSG International, Lloyds and United Utilities, there are either no years when the holding size was affected by corporate actions and no overall change to the holding size, or just one year in which the holding size was affected by corporate actions, in which case the change in that one year must be equal to the overall change in the holding size.

For DSG International, Year 7 saw the holding created as a takeover replacement for Alliance Boots, then Year 9 increased the size of the holding as a result of reinvesting a lapsed-rights payment. A PM exchange with pyad proved helpful in sorting out the split of the increases between them - he remembered that a problem had been found about the DSGI holding size but not that problem. Once he mentioned that, I recalled having pointed out a holding size problem for one of HYP1's holdings (though not which holding it was), had a look to see whether it was in my archived TMF material, and found it in the TMF thread headed by pyad's Year 14 review. It was indeed about the DSGI holding and it told me that the holding's size when purchased as the Alliance Boots replacement was 5841 shares, implying that 2167 shares were added by reinvesting the lapsed-rights payment.

Lloyds was involved in five corporate actions in the years concerned:

1) In Year 8, as pyad stated in viewtopic.php?p=357768#p357768 above, a United Utilities return of capital was reinvested in Lloyds.
2) Later in Year 8, Lloyds did an open offer. This could only have had any effect on the holding size if HYP1 had subscribed to it - which of course it didn't.
3) In Year 9, Lloyds did a 1-for-40 bonus issue, which pyad has told me (in the same PM exchange) increased it by 29 shares to 1196 shares.
4) Later in Year 9, Lloyds did a compensatory open offer, which is basically like a rights issue except that you cannot sell the 'rights' (which are known as entitlements rather than rights) - you can only subscribe to them or let them lapse.
5) Early in Year 10, Lloyds did a rights issue, which pyad has told me (again in the same PM exchange) he let lapse and reinvested the lapsed-rights payment in United Utilities.

When combined with the December 2009 holding size of 1196 shares, that makes it clear that only numbers 1 and 3 in that list actually changed the Lloyds holding size, and since number 3 increased the holding size by 29 shares, number 1 must have increased it by the remaining 465 shares.

Also, numbers 1 and 5 are the two corporate actions that affected the United Utilities holding size. Number 1 consolidated the shares 17-for-22, reducing the holding of 807 shares to 623 shares, a fall of 184 shares, and pyad has told me in the same PM exchange that number 5 added 56 shares. That's a net drop of 128 shares, which is consistent with the starting and ending share counts.

So we can complete the table of yearly changes as follows:

I had a bit of trouble reconciling the share counts that gave with the £5,040 income pyad has reported for Year 8 - I was getting a figure of £5,178 - but eventually I realised that the sale of Alliance & Leicester before it was taken over could have caused it to miss a dividend of exactly the right amount. So here are...

HYP1 Year 8 portfolio details

(1) Start-of-year figure --> end-of-year figure if the number changed during the year.
(2) Included according to when they went ex-dividend, provided HYP1 owned any shares at the time. Normally, HYP1 owned the end-of-year number of shares at the time; in cases where it owned the start-of-year number of shares at the time, the dividend is asterisked.
(3) Closing price on 12 November 2008, or "---" for taken-over shares that were no longer available by then. The data source I've used is the legacy version of ADVFN's "Data Downloads" facility (available via its "Sitemap" menu). As a sanity check against errors in ADVFN's data, I've also confirmed them where possible (it isn't for Pearson and Persimmon) against the share prices in kool4kat's end-of-year review for CHYP1.
(4) Alliance & Leicester also had an 18p dividend that went ex-dividend on 3 September 2008, but before then pyad presumably made his decision to sell rather than having it taken over for Banco Santander shares.

Year 8 corporate actions

A brief summary of these is in pyad's post above.

April/May 2008: Resolution and Scottish & Newcastle taken over, with combined proceeds split 50:50 between Pearson and Persimmon. The above reconstruction of HYP1's share counts between January 2007 to December 2009 says that the Resolution holding when taken over was 539 shares, the Scottish & Newcastle holding when taken over was 1010 shares, and that the reinvestment resulted in holdings of 891 Pearson shares and 1057 Persimmon shares. The scheme of arrangement links below say that the takeovers were at prices of 720p and 800p respectively, which makes the takeover proceeds £3,881 and £8,080 respectively (that matches pyad's total of £11,961 - which increases my confidence that neither offer was increased). Dividing the numbers of shares in the two replacement holdings into £11,961/2 gives purchase prices of 565.8p for the Persimmon shares and 671.2p for the Pearson shares, in both cases inclusive of costs.
Investegate links: Resolution scheme of arrangement, Resolution scheme comes into effect, Scottish & Newcastle scheme of arrangement, Scottish & Newcastle scheme comes into effect

July 2008: United Utilities return of capital. The returned capital was not reinvested in the same holding, as had been pyad's normal practice up to then, but in topping up the Lloyds holding. I suspect this was due to United Utilities having announced a revised dividend policy that included an intention to cut, plus Lloyds having a extraordinarily high yield at the time but the associated risks not having been fully apparent. Anyway, the 17-for-22 share consolidation involved in the return of capital reduced the United Utilities holding by 184 shares, from 807 shares to 623 shares, and the returned capital was 170p per original share. That came to £1,372, and a fractional entitlement payment entirely plausibly raised it to pyad's figure of £1,376. The resulting purchase bought 465 Lloyds shares at a price of 295.9p, inclusive of costs.
Investegate links: interim results containing announcement of revised dividend policy, scheme of arrangement, scheme comes into effect

July-October 2008: Banco Santander takeover of Alliance & Leicester. On 14 July 2008, this takeover was announced, with Alliance & Leicester shareholders being given one Banco Santander share for every three Alliance & Leicester shares, fractional entitlement payments for any odd shares left over, and also being entitled to receive an as-yet-undeclared 18p interim dividend. This takeover came into effect on 10 October 2008, Alliance & Leicester having by then duly declared and paid the interim dividend. At some point between those two dates, pyad decided to sell HYP1's 768 Alliance & Leicester shares, receiving £2,211 for them (287.9p per share, net of costs). He used that sum to top up HYP1's RDSB holding by 144 shares, buying them at a share price of about 1535.4p, inclusive of costs. The date on which these trades were done is presumably before 3 September 2008, the ex-dividend date for the interim dividend, since the extra £138 that dividend would have been would have made HYP1's Year 8 dividend income appreciably more than the £5,040 he has since told us that it was.
Investegate links: Scheme of arrangement, interim results; scheme comes into effect

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”