Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

MNG half year results

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: MNG half year results

Postby tjh290633 » August 13th, 2022, 3:45 pm

MrFoolish wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:Itsallaguess and myself have covered the subject adequately, saving Pyad the bother (though he has responded). Glad to have been of use. 8-)

I actually don't think the question has been properly answered. We seem to be swerving between "positively desirable to have multiple shares from any sector" to "yeah, more than one is ok" (I paraphrase). The word "multiple" could mean anything quite frankly.

The possibly more important question of the portfolio becoming unbalanced over time, income-wise, wasn't answered at all.

Was that question ever asked? We know that it has occurred, in HYP1 for example. In recent months a spate of special dividends from miners has led to dividend share of income being skewed in their favour. This is, however, self correcting to some extent as those special dividends are not repeated.

Sometimes, however, this is also associated with share price rises which can lead to shares becoming overweight in value terms. This raises the question of setting limits on weight and occasional rebalancing of the portfolio by trimming any overweight shares and reinvesting the proceeds in underweight shares with higher yields than the shares trimmed.

As an advocate of this procedure, I have found it necessary to trim overweight shares from time to time. I also reinvest accumulated dividends from time to time. In both situations I avoid adding to shares which would exceed my personal limits on both share of income and of portfolio cost which are both 5% of the respective totals.

My actions are all reported in a single topic, viewtopic.php?p=341678#p341678 on this forum, which you are welcome to peruse at your leisure.

TJH

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 13th, 2022, 7:57 pm

MrFoolish wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:Itsallaguess and myself have covered the subject adequately, saving Pyad the bother (though he has responded). Glad to have been of use. 8-)

I actually don't think the question has been properly answered. We seem to be swerving between "positively desirable to have multiple shares from any sector" to "yeah, more than one is ok" (I paraphrase). The word "multiple" could mean anything quite frankly.

The possibly more important question of the portfolio becoming unbalanced over time, income-wise, wasn't answered at all.

I think you are getting picky. Multiple means more than one, BTW. And as to your "question" - it wasn't phrased as such - more of a provocative comment hoping to sting Pyad. In any case, it isn't obligatory to answer your questions.

Anyway, with regard to this, as Buffy might say "bored now..."

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 13th, 2022, 8:01 pm

tjh290633 wrote:Was that question ever asked?

TJH

Quite. I don't think so. Pyad is being taken to task for not answering a question which was not explicitly put - just as earlier a presumption was made about his views on a subject simply on the grounds of his silence. :roll:

I think any judge would come down hard...

Arb.

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » August 13th, 2022, 8:57 pm

Arborbridge wrote:Anyway, with regard to this, as Buffy might say "bored now..."

Arb.

Feel free to stop then.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”