Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

A Cobham tinker.

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Re: A Cobham tinker.

Postby moorfield » July 25th, 2019, 11:04 pm

IanTHughes wrote:
Dod101 wrote:That is all I will say on this matter as I cannot believe that it is of interest to many but I will say that I would not have bought British Aerospace in any case because I do not believe in buying armaments companies.

Oh you are right, British Aerospace (BA) is involved in supplying "armaments".

Aren't ethical criteria O/T here?

After all,
one might not buy Shell because one does not believe in polluting the environment
one might not buy AstraZeneca because one does not believe in animal testing
one might not buy British American Tobacco because one does not believe in profiteering from selling tobacco
one might not buy HSBC because one does not believe in peddling of derivative finance to small businesses
one might not buy Unilever because one does not believe in exploiting zero hours contracts

etc. etc. I could go on ...

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 25th, 2019, 11:11 pm

I agree. There is no easy answer or a definitive one. It is down entirely to what one thinks or feels comfortable with.

Dod

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » July 25th, 2019, 11:18 pm

Dod101 wrote:I agree. There is no easy answer or a definitive one. It is down entirely to what one thinks or feels comfortable with.

Ok, so you feel entirely comfortable with rejecting a 6.00% yield and selecting a 3.00% yield? Fair enough, after all, it is your HYP, not anyone else's

All I am asking is why someone like yourself, so long-experienced in the HYP Strategy, would make such a decision? Seriously, it is so obviously against the normal HYP Strategy - to buy the highest sustainable yield possible - one has to ask why a long-standing HYPer, such as you so obviously are, would make such a decision

Ian

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » July 25th, 2019, 11:45 pm

IanTHughes wrote:
Dod101 wrote:I agree. There is no easy answer or a definitive one. It is down entirely to what one thinks or feels comfortable with.

Ok, so you feel entirely comfortable with rejecting a 6.00% yield and selecting a 3.00% yield? Fair enough, after all, it is your HYP, not anyone else's

All I am asking is why someone like yourself, so long-experienced in the HYP Strategy, would make such a decision? Seriously, it is so obviously against the normal HYP Strategy - to buy the highest sustainable yield possible - one has to ask why a long-standing HYPer, such as you so obviously are, would make such a decision

Ian

Funny, I've never got the impression that Dod was a pure HYP strategist, any more than I am, even though he has on occasion bought HY shares, as I have (not that they have done me much good). Hasn't he said more than once that preservation of capital and total return (achieved by a combination of both) were important to him? Or is my failing memory deceiving me? Beats me why we are discussing COB and subjecting Dod to an inquisition on why he bought such a low-yielding and currently nil-yielding share on the HYP practical board anyway. Is this a tight HYP discussion or more a question of general strategy, arising out of some company news, or just another opportunity to needle ? 3 boards to choose from there and keep the mods busy. Me, I'm off to bed. Sweet dreams.
Last edited by Bouleversee on July 25th, 2019, 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 25th, 2019, 11:50 pm

Thank you Bouleversee. I have never been a purist HYPer, you are right.

Sweet dreams to you as well although local thunder is not helping me.

Dod

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » July 26th, 2019, 12:09 am

Bouleversee wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:

Funny, I've never got the impression that Dod was a pure HYP strategist, any more than I am, even though he has on occasion bought HY shares, as I have (not that they have done me much good).

Really, oh my goodness! Are you suggesting, albeit I concede based on your impressions only, that Dod101 is not an HYPer? You may be right, I could not possibly say, only Dod101 can tell us for sure. For myself, I can only say that I assumed that anyone posting on here - the "High Yield Portfolios (HYP) - Practical" board - who was not an HYPer, would naturally state as such whenever they posted on this "High Yield Portfolios (HYP) - Practical" board!

Was I wrong to make such an assumption? Are you suggesting that Dod101 is that duplicitous?

I could not possible comment

Ian

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » July 26th, 2019, 12:32 am

moorfield wrote:
Dod101 wrote:... but I will say that I would not have bought British Aerospace in any case because I do not believe in buying armaments

Aren't ethical criteria O/T here? ...

From this Board’s Guidance:

Personal feelings can affect the choice, including ethical considerations.

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » July 26th, 2019, 12:43 am

PinkDalek wrote:
moorfield wrote:
Dod101 wrote:... but I will say that I would not have bought British Aerospace in any case because I do not believe in buying armaments

Quite right! So the question remains: "Why was a 6.00% yield on an 'Armaments Manufacturer' rejected in favour of a 3.00% yield on an 'Armaments Manufacturer'?

Of course only "Dod101" can answer that question and it would appear that such an answer will not be forthcoming.

Oh well, I guess I will have to continue with HYP

Ian

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » July 26th, 2019, 4:29 pm

IanTHughes wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:Ok, so you feel entirely comfortable with rejecting a 6.00% yield and selecting a 3.00% yield? Fair enough, after all, it is your HYP, not anyone else's

Funny, I've never got the impression that Dod was a pure HYP strategist, any more than I am, even though he has on occasion bought HY shares, as I have (not that they have done me much good).

Really, oh my goodness! Are you suggesting, albeit I concede based on your impressions only, that Dod101 is not an HYPer? You may be right, I could not possibly say, only Dod101 can tell us for sure. For myself, I can only say that I assumed that anyone posting on here - the "High Yield Portfolios (HYP) - Practical" board - who was not an HYPer, would naturally state as such whenever they posted on this "High Yield Portfolios (HYP) - Practical" board!

Was I wrong to make such an assumption? Are you suggesting that Dod101 is that duplicitous?

I could not possible comment

Ian

No, I'm suggesting that he is a cautious investor who is wise enough not to have ALL his eggs in a HYP basket, doesn't need to extract every penny he can get as income at the risk of losing capital, knows that diversification in types of investment as well as individual shares is key and that low or modest yields can often outperform very high yields, even in terms of income, in the long run when they increase their dividends by a decent amount year after year, and has the courage to ditch them when they cease to do that. Are YOU suggesting that only those who buy ONLY high yielding shares and hang on to them forever are entitled to post here? If that is the case, I am outta here (I actually own some shares which pay no dividend at all (sacrilege I know) but are doing very nicely) and I suspect many will follow me, unless of course they are the ones who are duplicitous. Surely anyone who owns some shares of the recognised HYP variety and wants to exchange views on the practical management of those shares, especially when company circumstances change, or anyone considering buying HYP shares is entitled to post here. Perhaps the powers that be might care to clarify.

In the meantime, rather than rake over the past for the sake of point scoring, could we please get back to the topic. Having heard that Silchester (Cobham's biggest investor) is challenging the Board's agreement to and recommendation of the bid as they think it undervalues the company, and having woken up to the fact that COB's new chairman is the ex-chairman of RPC who recently sold off that company for a price lower than that on 4.4.17 (the date I gave some of mine to grandchildren) despite buying back oodles of shares in the meantime, I have decided to hold on to my shares for the time being till I see which way the wind seems to be blowing. I gather that none of the institutions has given an irrevocable undertaking to accept the offer and it remains to be seen whether the Treasury select committee (whose new chairman may prove less effective than Nicky Morgan) will intervene. It will depend on what the collective attitude of the institutions is and whether any higher bids are forthcoming, though it sounds as though Silchester would prefer things to stay as they are and the existing shareholders benefit from the anticipated improvement in profits. Nobody was enthusiastic about the first RPC offer either and another Bidco outfit popped up with a slightly larger offer and it then went to auction, which all sounded a bit contrived and smacked of a cosmetic exercise.

In the light of these new developments, should we still take the money and run (up another 1.63% today) or hang on and see how things pan out? A lot of people will no doubt have been selling, but who has been buying at this price and why?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 26th, 2019, 5:29 pm

Thanks Bouleversee. I would like to think that that pretty well sums up my investing attitude.

Bearing in mind the attitude of the largest shareholder, I think you are wise to wait and see with your Cobham shares. As I said I sold mine at about today's price back in November 2016, and surely they have added some value since then?. The largest shareholder apparently owns 11% so that is quite enough to make the Directors listen I would have thought, that is assuming that the Government allows the deal anyway.

Dod

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » July 29th, 2019, 7:47 pm

IanTHughes wrote:
Dod101 wrote:It does not matter now but I see from my records that I bought Cobham in 2011. I cannot find my purchase price but given that it was £2.22 on I January 2012, I think my recollection of around £2 is about right.

Oh right! so you bought at a yield of about 3.00%? (Annual Dividend YE 31 Dec 2010: 6.00p), or if you include the increased Interim of 1.80p paid on 11 Nov 2011, the yield was perhaps 3.10%. Was that considered High Yield for HYP purposes? I only ask because I did not start my HYP until February 2012 so maybe there was a good reason for taking such a low yield that I do not know about. British Aerospace (BA) had a yield of around 6.00% at that time (November 2011) so why buy such a low yield as part of an HYP? Was it perhaps part of your "avoid dangerous high yields" strategy? Just curious.

The FTSE 100 yield in 2011 varied between about 2.9% and 3.9% (source: https://markets.ft.com/data/indices/tea ... =UKX.D:FSI - click on the 5Y tab for the chart, then drag the chart sideways to pull 2011 into the range it shows). So 3.0% could have been above the FTSE 100 yield at the time of Dod's purchase. Furthermore, quite a few HYPers use forecast yield rather than historical yield, and Cobham's dividend rose by 33% from 6p for 2010 to 8p for 2011 - so if the forecasters had a decent idea that the dividend was going to grow by that sort of amount, then the forecast yield might have been considerably higher than 3.0% or 3.1% and so it could have been above the FTSE 100 yield for a lot more of 2011 than the historical yield was above it. So I don't see any particular reason to dispute that Cobham was a high-yield share, even judging by TLF's standard of what constitutes a high yield, which of course wasn't to appear until over 5 years later...

And TMF didn't have an analogous standard, just a statement that the yields of the shares should be "high" - and I'm pretty certain that TLF does accept that existing HYP holdings are legitimate if they were high yield by the standards of the time when they were bought. I'm also fairly certain that Cobham was discussed on TMF as a HYP share that far back, though that's only from memory.

Gengulphus

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » July 29th, 2019, 10:16 pm

Gengulphus wrote:I'm also fairly certain that Cobham was discussed on TMF as a HYP share that far back, though that's only from memory.

Gengulphus

I concur with that. Valuemargin, among others, argued its HYP-ish merits.

MDW1954

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » July 29th, 2019, 11:04 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:
Dod101 wrote:It does not matter now but I see from my records that I bought Cobham in 2011. I cannot find my purchase price but given that it was £2.22 on I January 2012, I think my recollection of around £2 is about right.

Oh right! so you bought at a yield of about 3.00%? (Annual Dividend YE 31 Dec 2010: 6.00p), or if you include the increased Interim of 1.80p paid on 11 Nov 2011, the yield was perhaps 3.10%. Was that considered High Yield for HYP purposes? I only ask because I did not start my HYP until February 2012 so maybe there was a good reason for taking such a low yield that I do not know about. British Aerospace (BA) had a yield of around 6.00% at that time (November 2011) so why buy such a low yield as part of an HYP? Was it perhaps part of your "avoid dangerous high yields" strategy? Just curious.

The FTSE 100 yield in 2011 varied between about 2.9% and 3.9% (source: https://markets.ft.com/data/indices/tea ... =UKX.D:FSI - click on the 5Y tab for the chart, then drag the chart sideways to pull 2011 into the range it shows). So 3.0% could have been above the FTSE 100 yield at the time of Dod's purchase. Furthermore, quite a few HYPers use forecast yield rather than historical yield, and Cobham's dividend rose by 33% from 6p for 2010 to 8p for 2011 - so if the forecasters had a decent idea that the dividend was going to grow by that sort of amount, then the forecast yield might have been considerably higher than 3.0% or 3.1% and so it could have been above the FTSE 100 yield for a lot more of 2011 than the historical yield was above it. So I don't see any particular reason to dispute that Cobham was a high-yield share, even judging by TLF's standard of what constitutes a high yield, which of course wasn't to appear until over 5 years later...

All of which corresponds exactly with my investigations. And yes, many HYPers do use Forecast Yield, which I do not for two simple reasons. One, I do not have easy access to what I consider a reliable source of such information, whereas Historical Yield is simply calculated on my spreadsheet based on known facts. And two, I struggle to believe a forecast yield, if used for all candidates for HYP selection, would provide any substantial change to the question of which is the highest yield.

Gengulphus wrote:And TMF didn't have an analogous standard, just a statement that the yields of the shares should be "high" - and I'm pretty certain that TLF does accept that existing HYP holdings are legitimate if they were high yield by the standards of the time when they were bought. I'm also fairly certain that Cobham was discussed on TMF as a HYP share that far back, though that's only from memory.

I was asking the question based on someone who follows the HYP Strategy not board guidelines for this or any other blog site! And the question I was asking remains: why would an HYPer select a lower yielding share such as Cobham (COB) when such a decision would mean first rejecting what was, to my mind at least, a perfectly acceptable substantially higher yield alternative such as BAE Systems (BAE) - substantially higher Forecast as well as Historical yield you understand?

That question is of interest and has as yet not been answered.

Ian
Last edited by IanTHughes on July 29th, 2019, 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » July 29th, 2019, 11:10 pm

MDW1954 wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:I'm also fairly certain that Cobham was discussed on TMF as a HYP share that far back, though that's only from memory.

I concur with that. Valuemargin, among others, argued its HYP-ish merits.

Of course Cobham (COB) was discussed on TMF, I too remember that much. I also remember asking the same question as I am asking now: why would an HYPer select a lower yielding share such as Cobham (COB) when such a decision would mean first rejecting what was, to my mind at least, a perfectly acceptable substantially higher yield alternative such as BAE Systems (BAE)?

I am sorry that such a question has caused such consternation although I must confess to being somewhat surprised, bearing in mind the main aim of the HYP Strategy.

Ian

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » July 29th, 2019, 11:44 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
moorfield wrote:

Yes, it's perfectly OK for personal feelings to affect the choice, including ethical considerations. But equally, they are personal feelings, so there's even less reason than normal to expect different people to agree about them - and so discussions disputing them are likely to be futile and to become argumentative rather than enlightening. The net result on this board is that IMHO ethical considerations are only sensibly discussed with regard to what one's own HYP selections are, not with regard to disputing what someone else's HYP selections are. E.g. if I were to post a question asking for advice about the next selection for my HYP, listing its current holdings, it would be worth my mentioning that I have an ethical objection to tobacco shares, because otherwise lots of people would doubtless see that my HYP contains neither BATS nor Imperial Brands and waste both their own time and mine making suggestions I won't find acceptable. And if someone else noticed that my HYP doesn't contain any Aerospace & Defence shares and asked whether that was because I also had ethical objections to them, that's an attempt to clarify my personal considerations and I would try to do so (though the answer would be somewhat complex - I have ethical objections to some of the things such companies do and not to others, so it would depend on a closer look at the company than just looking at its sector).

But if someone noticed that I did have Greene King shares and asked how on earth I can have ethical objections to tobacco and not also have them to alcohol, that's an attempt to dispute them and I would refuse to discuss that here, and quite likely report the post if the attempt to dispute them were persistently pursued. Basically, what my ethical objections are is relevant to the practical HYP decision I'm asking about, so on-topic for this board within the context of such a thread, but why I have them is not - all that matters to the practical decision is that I do have them. Why I have them is I think instead on-topic on the Other Investing board, given its description "Any other investment discussions eg. peer to peer lending" - discussions about the ethics involved in investing are investment discussions, and I'm not aware of any other investing board where they would be on-topic. I'm not certain that I would answer the same question about having ethical objections to tobacco but not to alcohol there, but that's because (a) I wouldn't necessarily notice it had been posted; (b) I wouldn't necessarily make answering it a priority if I did notice it, and if I were otherwise busy, I might never get around to answering it. I certainly wouldn't report it for being off-topic, though.

As I said, that's my opinion on the matter, which implies it's not necessarily the moderators' opinion: about all I can say on that is that I haven't noticed the moderators acting contrary to it on TLF yet - which is pretty weak evidence, because I have seen very few occasions on TLF where the issue has come up.

Gengulphus

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » July 30th, 2019, 12:36 am

IanTHughes wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:And TMF didn't have an analogous standard, just a statement that the yields of the shares should be "high" - and I'm pretty certain that TLF does accept that existing HYP holdings are legitimate if they were high yield by the standards of the time when they were bought. I'm also fairly certain that Cobham was discussed on TMF as a HYP share that far back, though that's only from memory.

I was asking the question based on someone who follows the HYP Strategy not board guidelines for this or any other blog site! And the question I was asking remains: why would an HYPer select a lower yielding share such as Cobham (COB) when such a decision would mean first rejecting what was, to my mind at least, a perfectly acceptable substantially higher yield alternative such as BAE Systems (BAE) - substantially higher Forecast as well as Historical yield you understand?

On the contrary, it has been answered: ethical considerations. You may not accept or even understand those ethical considerations, but the question you've asking is why a HYPer would select the lower-yielding share, not why you should select the lower-yielding share. So it's not whether the substantially higher-yield alternative is perfectly acceptable to your mind that matters, but whether it is perfectly acceptable to the mind of the HYPer concerned - and the answer is that it's unacceptable for ethical reasons they understand and accept even if you don't.

And speaking of unanswered questions, when are you going to answer the question of exactly what you mean by the singular phrase "the HYP Strategy"? You've told people that they should read up on it on numerous occasions, but different descriptions of HYP strategies differ on numerous details, so that doesn't answer the question - you need to tell people which descriptions you're referring to. The most obvious possibility is pyad's articles on TMF and his posts both on TMF and here - but there are various discrepancies between them as well, so you can't be referring to them, or at least not all of them...

My view on the matter is that "the HYP Strategy" is an inherently ill-defined term (unless you make it an entirely mechanical strategy, which no-one has done at all convincingly IMHO), only the plural phrase "HYP strategies" can be entirely well-defined (by specifying the properties that a strategy must have to count as a HYP strategy and letting HYP strategies vary in other respects) and even the attempts to define "HYP strategies" in board guidelines don't actually entirely define them - e.g. the HYP Practical board's guidance leaves at least two things ambiguous in its yield criterion alone (what type of yield it's talking about for the share, and what source should be used for the FTSE 100 yield).

Gengulphus

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » July 30th, 2019, 10:29 am

IanTHughes wrote:...why would an HYPer select a lower yielding share such as Cobham (COB) when such a decision would mean first rejecting what was, to my mind at least, a perfectly acceptable substantially higher yield alternative such as BAE Systems (BAE) - substantially higher Forecast as well as Historical yield you understand?

One answer might have been BAE's pension overhang.
I held BAE, but tinkered them away for CGT purposes, and having regard to the pensions deficit have no current desire to repurchase.

But if it were or had been, a choice between BAE at 6% and Cobham at 3%, the answer would have been Neither.

V8

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » July 30th, 2019, 10:58 am

Gengulphus wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:

On the contrary, it has been answered: ethical considerations. You may not accept or even understand those ethical considerations, but the question you've asking is why a HYPer would select the lower-yielding share, not why you should select the lower-yielding share. So it's not whether the substantially higher-yield alternative is perfectly acceptable to your mind that matters, but whether it is perfectly acceptable to the mind of the HYPer concerned - and the answer is that it's unacceptable for ethical reasons they understand and accept even if you don't.

By “ethical considerations”, I must assume that you mean:
Dod101 wrote:... but I will say that I would not have bought British Aerospace in any case because I do not believe in buying armaments *

* I am assuming that what was meant was “I do not believe in buying shares in armament manufacturers” rather than the armaments themselves! :)

And you are right, I do not understand this reason based on my brief exploration of Cobham PLC (COB) from which is gleaned:

https://www.cobham.com/air/defence/
Air Defence

Cobham’s technology is embedded on many of today’s most advanced military aircraft to increase their safety and mission capabilities. From development of cutting edge communication and jamming technology through to operational readiness training of pilots, Cobham is a capable through-life partner from nose to tail.

https://www.cobham.com/land/defence/
Land Defence

Cobham's advanced Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) detection and over 150,000 Vehicle Intercom Systems are in military service around the world. Cobham supplies slip rings for radar antennas and tank turrets and Cobham's vehicle restraints and personal thermal management systems keep people safe and increase the effective endurance of personnel.

https://www.cobham.com/maritime/defence/
Maritime Defence

Cobham’s microwave and radar technology is embedded in the world’s most advanced maritime defence hardware including the AEGIS class cruiser. Our innovative range of safety and survival equipment, including personal restraints, egress lighting, and underwater oxygen are in use by forces around the world. Cobham also provides specialist electronic warfare and target towing services to aid naval mission rehearsal.

COB may not be involved in making bullets and missiles but they certainly make a deal of money out of systems that ensure those same bullets and missiles kill more effectively!

It would seem that there are bad “armaments manufacturers” and good “armaments manufacturers” or maybe “ethical investing” in theory and “ethical investing” in practice. Of course it could also be that it was not understood what COB’s business was, but that I find hard to believe.

Gengulphus wrote:And speaking of unanswered questions, when are you going to answer the question of exactly what you mean by the singular phrase "the HYP Strategy"? You've told people that they should read up on it on numerous occasions, but different descriptions of HYP strategies differ on numerous details, so that doesn't answer the question - you need to tell people which descriptions you're referring to. The most obvious possibility is pyad's articles on TMF and his posts both on TMF and here - but there are various discrepancies between them as well, so you can't be referring to them, or at least not all of them...

To me, simply put, an HYP Strategy is one where the primary aim is to produce an income stream out of dividends from a portfolio of direct holdings in suitably diverse high-yielding equities, with the intention of using that income stream, now or at some point in the future, to cover living costs, whether basic or luxury.

So, conversely, any Strategy that prioritises Capital growth is not an HYP Strategy in my view. Also, any Strategy that abandons individual equities in favour of handing all decision-making to a fund manager, is not an HYP Strategy in my view. Nothing wrong with either you understand, it is just that they are not HYP Strategies in my view.

I fully appreciate that some people, whilst still maintaining that income priority, believe that the selling off of part of an over-weight holding will lessen the impact of a single holding catastrophe. I would merely point out to them that without the capability of knowing precisely when the peak of capital or income was achieved, the almost inevitable outcome of such a strategy is to lessen the income and/or overall return. So, not a method that I would practice, nor indeed advocate, but I do understand the reasoning behind it.

Others may also try to improve income by selling off low-yielding holdings and re-deploying the capital into a higher yield. I do have some sympathy with that idea but personally I am as yet not convinced as to its success in practice. A low yield may be simply a pre-cursor to future dividend growth which might mean future regrets as to the decision to sell, bearing in mind that none of us have a functioning crystal ball.

All of which brings me back to my original question about rejecting a 6+% yield in one armaments manufacturer in favour of a 3+% yield in another, which I still maintain is a legitimate question, assuming of course that the investor in question is prioritising income as any HYP Strategy should.

Ian

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » July 30th, 2019, 1:05 pm

IanTHughes wrote:I also remember asking the same question as I am asking now: why would an HYPer select a lower yielding share such as Cobham (COB) when such a decision would mean first rejecting what was, to my mind at least, a perfectly acceptable substantially higher yield alternative such as BAE Systems (BAE)?

Ian

I've consulted my own records, but can't find any clues as to what the yield might have been at the time of my purchases.

I do know that I already held BAE Systems and Rolls-Royce.

I also know that ethical considerations would not have been a factor -- I'm a journalist. :-)

MDW1954

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » July 30th, 2019, 1:39 pm

IanTHughes wrote:To me, simply put, an HYP Strategy is one where the primary aim is to produce an income stream out of dividends from a portfolio of direct holdings in suitably diverse high-yielding equities, with the intention of using that income stream, now or at some point in the future, to cover living costs, whether basic or luxury.

So if you leave out the words "direct holdings in suitably diverse high yielding equities", you are an apostate and barred from contributing to the Practical HYP board?

You answer your own question though. If you want an income stream at some time in the future , the rate at which it grows may be as important to you as how high it is when the share was first purchased. That's a reason why you might buy a stock with a 3% yield rather than a 6% one.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”