Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Comcast offer to buy Sky

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

Comcast offer to buy Sky

Postby idpickering » February 27th, 2018, 7:49 am

BRIEF-Comcast Offers To Buy Sky For $31 Bln

* ‍POSSIBLE ALL-CASH OFFER OF £12.50 PER SHARE, PREMIUM OF 16% TO CURRENT 21CF OFFER​

* ‍MINIMUM ACCEPTANCE CONDITION OF 50 PER CENT. PLUS ONE SHARE​

* ‍SUPERIOR CASH PROPOSAL IMPLIES A VALUE OF APPROXIMATELY £22.1 BILLION FOR FULLY DILUTED ORDINARY SHARE CAPITAL OF SKY​

* ‍A PREMIUM OF ABOUT 16% TO CURRENT TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY FOX OFFER PRICE OF £10.75 FOR EACH SKY SHARE WHICH 21CF AND ITS AFFILIATES DO NOT ALREADY OWN​

* DEAL TO BE ‍ACCRETIVE TO COMCAST‘S FREE CASH FLOW PER SHARE IN YEAR ONE​

https://uk.reuters.com/article/brief-co ... KL8N1QH1JT

nk104

Re: Comcast offer to buy Sky

Postby nk104 » February 27th, 2018, 8:10 am

Now that is good. Perhaps the Board will remember for a second that their job description isn’t ‘Murdoch stooge’ and start representing the interests of the 61 per cent of shareholders.

ayshfm1
Lemon Slice

Postby ayshfm1 » February 27th, 2018, 8:12 am

Well that rocks my boat!

Wonder what the board will say - the usual "The bid materially under values the company" isn't going to fly since 10.75 was "considered a good price"

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » February 27th, 2018, 12:31 pm

:lol:
ayshfm1 wrote:Well that rocks my boat!

Wonder what the board will say - the usual "The bid materially under values the company" isn't going to fly since 10.75 was "considered a good price"

I suspect this deal may get the green light, purely because it isn't Murdoch led.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 27th, 2018, 12:33 pm

Statement regarding announcement by Comcast

The Independent Committee of Sky notes today's announcement from Comcast regarding a possible all cash offer for Sky at £12.50 per share (the "Possible Offer").

The Independent Directors of Sky are mindful of their fiduciary duties and their obligations under the UK Takeover Code.

Since no firm offer has been made at this point, shareholders are advised to take no action.

A further announcement will be made as and when appropriate.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/sky-plc-- ... 15511045G/

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » February 27th, 2018, 1:39 pm

Another US predator. Shame!!

alnitak1971

Postby alnitak1971 » February 27th, 2018, 1:45 pm

Currently trading at 1350p, a premium even to this bid. Tempted to sell into the market..is the premium because of the expectation of a bid war?

nk104

Postby nk104 » February 27th, 2018, 9:52 pm

So Fox has released a statement trying to stick to its Dec 2016 offer. Interesting, but I don’t think it is going to work.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » February 28th, 2018, 10:17 am

An article in Times Business today says that Polygon, the hedge fund, which has shares in Sky, predicted that the ultimate sale price for Sky could pass £15 per share and the Crispin Odey said that Comcast's intervention was "fantastic" for shareholders and suggested that a counterbid was likely.

Perhaps I shouldn't rush to sell.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 28th, 2018, 10:27 am

Bouleversee wrote:
Perhaps I shouldn't rush to sell.

One should neither buy nor sell in haste imho. It’s not the HYP way perhaps. :D

Ian.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » February 28th, 2018, 5:21 pm

Well, it looks as though it's going to be sold one way or the other willy nilly. It's just a question of how and when.

Interestingly, a few minutes ago I checked my ii portfolio (I have holdings in Sky in both ISA and dealing p/fs) and the price was listed as 1481p but I noticed a box saying that the shares had been valued during an auction period and may fluctuate. Sure enough, in the time it took to flip from the dealing to the ISA, the price had gone back to 1331.50 and the box had disappeared. Quite a difference. I wonder what they will open at tomorrow. I must confess that if I saw them at £15 or higher I would be tempted to sell my dealing holding and risk Ian's disapproval. A bird in the hand and all that, or just hedging my bets since I have two holdings, neither particularly large.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » February 28th, 2018, 5:45 pm

Quite an interesting article in FT headed "The Cabbie's tip that sent Comcast on Sky-ward journey."

https://www.ft.com/content/aa3faf4c-1be ... db76e69936

It included the following: "Sky said in a statement that it noted the possible all-cash offer and advised shareholders to take no action because no firm offer had yet been made".

westmoreland
2 Lemon pips

Postby westmoreland » February 28th, 2018, 6:46 pm

Arborbridge wrote:Another US predator. Shame!!

it's already 39% owned by fox isn't it?

couldn't they conceivably block a deal? they only need to persuade 11% i think? only at 90% approval can COMCAST compulsorily buy the remainder, as far as i know.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » March 3rd, 2018, 7:19 am

westmoreland wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:Another US predator. Shame!!

it's already 39% owned by fox isn't it?

Yes.

westmoreland wrote:couldn't they conceivably block a deal? ...

Depends what you mean by "block a deal".

As Sky's share capital stands, Fox can easily block Comcast from taking over Sky by a scheme of arrangement, from delisting Sky or from doing anything else that requires a special resolution to be approved by shareholders, simply by voting against such resolutions.

Fox can also easily block Comcast from taking over Sky fully by a traditional takeover offer, simply by refusing to accept any such offer. In particular, such a takeover offer has to be made for all the shares that Comcast don't already own, which certainly include Fox's ~39%, and Comcast have to get acceptances of such an offer from 90% of the shares it is made for to be able to compulsorily purchase the rest. So any shareholder with over 10% of the shares can block a traditional takeover offer from going through to the compulsory purchase stage, which for a company with a big shareholder base is in practice the only way for the offeror to end up with literally all the shares from a traditional takeover offer and thus take over fully.

Fox cannot use their ~39% shareholding to block Comcast from getting everyday operational control of Sky by a traditional takeover offer - for that, Comcast only need to get more than half of Sky's shares, enough to pass ordinary shareholder resolutions. They can certainly make it more difficult for Comcast to do so by refusing to accept any such offer - if e.g. Comcast start off not owning any Sky shares, they end up have to persuade the holders of ~50/61sts = ~82% of the other shares to accept any offer they make to get everyday operational control, rather than the 50% of the holders of the other shares they would have to persuade if Fox didn't own any shares and so all of the shares were "other shares". But only make it more difficult, not block.

So essentially, Comcast can get everyday operational control of Sky with the offer they've announced they're seriously considering making, but cannot either push it through to a full takeover or achieve a full takeover by the alternative scheme-of-arrangement route against Fox's opposition. This is stuff that Comcast must be aware of, so if they go ahead and actually make the offer they're considering, they will presumably be willing to settle for just everyday operational control, hoping to persuade Fox to accept, or both.

Or just conceivably, willing and able to get everyday operational control and later use it as a base from which to achieve a full takeover. I've seen this done once, when Tesco took over Dobbies Garden Centres about 10 years ago. What happened then was that Tesco made a takeover offer, and a fairly major minority shareholder who didn't want their shares taken over bought their holding up to over 25% of the shares (by paying a bit more than the takeover price on the market), blocking Tesco from getting more than everyday operational control. Tesco apparently settled for that, but very roughly a year later, the Dobbies board (which of course was basically appointed by Tesco as the majority shareholder) announced plans to expand Dobbies' business and a rights issue to fund that expansion, and Tesco announced another takeover offer for what they hadn't got of Dobbies first time around. The rights issue was big enough that if Tesco took up their rights and the minority shareholder didn't, Tesco would have over 75% of the shares and would be able to force a scheme-of-arrangement takeover through. And Tesco clearly had the financial resources to take up their rights, while the minority shareholder probably didn't have the financial resources to take up theirs (or alternatively, they did, but could see the writing on the wall: there was nothing to prevent Tesco repeating the manoeuvre in another year's time, and again and again after that if needed...). Anyway, the minority shareholder issued a legal challenge to the rights issue, which I think was essentially about whether the Dobbies board could legally have the rights issue without a special shareholder resolution. They lost the challenge, and at that point they gave in and accepted the new takeover offer from Tesco - which incidentally was for a somewhat lower takeover price than the original takeover offer and less than what the minority shareholder paid for the extra shares they bought to take them over 25%. And the new takeover offer went through fully after that.

The point of all that is that the "As Sky's share capital stands" near the start of this reply is an important qualification to the conclusion that Comcast cannot force their takeover through fully: if they can get everyday operational control of Sky, they might be able to change how Sky's share capital stands. This applies especially when the offeror has much greater financial resources than the blocking minority shareholder, as in the Tesco/Dobbies case. I very much doubt it is in this Comcast/Fox/Sky case, but it is conceivable...

Probably more to the point, the blocking minority shareholder in such cases needs to take care that it never becomes the case - if e.g. Fox were to become financially stretched at some point in the future, that would be the time for Comcast to pounce. That makes continuing to be a blocking minority shareholder after Comcast takes everyday operational control (assuming they do) quite a constraint on Fox's freedom of action about their other activities. As a result, if Comcast actually make their bid, I think it much more likely that Fox will either raise their bid to be higher than Comcast's or give in and accept Comcast's than that they'll simply settle for being a blocking 39% minority shareholder. But they certainly could choose to settle for that.

westmoreland wrote:... they only need to persuade 11% i think? only at 90% approval can COMCAST compulsorily buy the remainder, as far as i know.

I'm not quite certain what you're talking about Fox persuading other shareholders to do there.

What I think you mean is persuading enough of the other shareholders not to accept an offer from Comcast to prevent Comcast pushing a traditional takeover offer through fully with compulsory purchases, 11% of the shares not accepting being enough to prevent that. (That makes the second sentence in the quote connected with the question, which is why I think it's what you mean.) If so, the answer is basically no: Fox don't need to persuade anyone else not to accept an offer from Comcast to do that, because they merely have to not accept themselves to ensure that a great deal more than 11% don't accept.

But it could be that you mean the question to be about persuading enough of the other shareholders to accept Fox's own offer to ensure that Comcast cannot succeed at all with their offer, with the second sentence being an independent observation. If so, yes, persuading the holders of 11% or more of the Sky shares to accept Fox's own offer, added to the 39% Fox already own, would be enough to give Fox more than 50% (once they were able to declare their offer fully unconditional, that is). That would give Fox everyday operational control of Sky and would prevent Comcast from being able to acquire even a single share by a takeover offer. But in the presence of a higher offer from Comcast (which we don't yet have) or a plausible-looking possibility of such an offer emerging (which we do), it is of course very difficult for Fox to persuade other shareholders to accept Fox's own offer by any means other than raising it above Comcast's offer, which they'd certainly prefer not to do and might be totally unwilling to do...

Gengulphus

Ricksure
Lemon Pip

Postby Ricksure » March 5th, 2018, 11:29 am

Managed to sell my holding in SKY this morning at £13.72 a share after experiencing a lot of problems with the A&J Bell YouInvest site

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”