Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Carillion (Again)

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Re: Carillion (Again)

Postby Gengulphus » March 6th, 2018, 7:03 pm

Lootman wrote:
Gengulphus wrote: A negligible value claim is simply a device to speed that up, basically producing the same effect as you would get by transferring them to a new owner without quite a few of the complications - essentially you and the taxman agreeing (assuming the taxman accepts the claim) to pretend that you have transferred them to a new owner. So if (and for as long as) you don't want to speed it up, don't submit a negligible value claim.

I agree with the advice there if the investor wants to delay taking the tax loss.

Which in the context of the quote that precedes that remark where I made it, the investor concerned (absolutezero) does, or at the very least is not at all averse to delaying taking it.

Lootman wrote:But if you wish to accelerate the loss then selling a near worthless share for a peppercorn price in order to crystallise a loss is a fairly standard thing, and I have employed that myself a couple of times. I do not see that there is any "pretending" going on there. You merely have to be able to demonstrate that the holding is near worthless which, in this sad case, it fairly clearly is. And that you transferred the beneficial ownership of that asset.

Agreed that there is no "pretending" involved in selling for a peppercorn price to crystallise a loss. Nor is there any actual "pretending" involved in making a negligible value claim, as long as you honestly believe the shares to be of negligible value: the "pretending" only happens later, if and when the taxman accepts the claim. I.e. basically, by the time it starts, it's by mutual agreement between you and the taxman - and furthermore, it's a pretence that is allowed by tax law. So "pretending" is not a problem with either course of action.

Selling for a peppercorn price does have the apparent advantage that it's certain to work, while a negligible value claim has the risk that the taxman might not accept the claim. I'm pretty certain that risk is zero in the case of Carillion, but suppose just for the sake of argument that I'm wrong, i.e. that the taxman somehow believes the market value of Carillion shares is currently non-negligible and so rejects the claim. In that case, he will clearly also believe that the peppercorn price is not the market value of the shares sold - which is relevant because of the market value rule for CGT: if a sale is made to a "connected person" (close relative, business partner, etc) or it is made other than by a normal "at arm's length" commercial bargain, it is deemed to have happened at market value regardless of the price actually paid. So if one wants to go the sell-at-peppercorn-price route, one needs to find a buyer who is not a "connected person" and a method of selling that does result in a normal "at arm's length" commercial bargain to be safe against the taxman reckoning Carillion shares have a non-negligible market value.

So for anyone who reckons that they can do that for Carillion shares, despite the obvious fact that the standard way to achieve a normal "at arm's length" commercial bargain simply isn't available at present, and who is willing to back their own judgement on the matter, the sell-at-peppercorn-price route doesn't share the taxman-thinks-value-non-negligible risk of the negligible-value-claim route. If they choose the sell-at-peppercorn-price route as a result, well, I can't say that they're wrong but neither can I say that they're right - so all I can do is wish them good luck!

For anyone else, the two routes share that risk.

I can also see two other practical issues:

* The sell-at-peppercorn-price route requires the sale to have been agreed by (at the latest) April 5th this year if it's to realise the loss for the 2017/2018 tax year - so it's fairly urgent for them to find a suitable buyer and method of selling. The negligible-value-claim route's timing is much more relaxed: if one wants it to realise the loss for the 2017/2018 tax year, it's easy up to 31/01/2019 (the deadline for submitting one's tax return for 2017/2018), not much more difficult up to 31/01/2020 (the deadline for amending one's tax return for 2017/2018), and doesn't become impossible until 06/04/2020 (when the 2020/2021 tax year starts and it ceases to be possible to make negligible value claims for dates in the 2017/2018 tax year).

* Davidsb reported earlier in this thread that Selftrade have told him that they cannot actually transfer Carillion shares. If that is a general problem with share transfers actually not being possible at all, that does raise the question of whether a sale that is never settled (i.e. shares and cash actually changing hands) counts as a disposal for CGT purposes. I know the answer if (as is normal) settlement happens on a later date than the trade is agreed: it does count as a disposal, on the date that the trade was agreed. But I simply don't know the answer if settlement never happens - a possible issue for the sell-at-peppercorn-price route, but not for the negligible-value-claim route.

Finally, just to be clear, I'm not saying the sell-at-peppercorn-price route is definitely wrong, just that like the negligible-value-claim route, it has issues. It is of course clear which one I favour, but as long as the two routes' various issues have been discussed and people are in a position to make up their own minds about them, I am basically content.

Gengulphus

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 6th, 2018, 7:19 pm

Gengulphus wrote:Davidsb reported earlier in this thread that Selftrade have told him that they cannot actually transfer Carillion shares. If that is a general problem with share transfers actually not being possible at all, that does raise the question of whether a sale that is never settled (i.e. shares and cash actually changing hands) counts as a disposal for CGT purposes. I know the answer if (as is normal) settlement happens on a later date than the trade is agreed: it does count as a disposal, on the date that the trade was agreed. But I simply don't know the answer if settlement never happens - a possible issue for the sell-at-peppercorn-price route, but not for the negligible-value-claim route.

Well, a broker can certainly refuse to make a market in any share it wants, as can an exchange for that matter. But it is still an asset and you and I could both agree to trade an asset and settle it without an exchange. Such trades happen all the time - they are called "over the counter" trades", and they settle when payment is received and the asset transferred, by letter if need be.

Much of the rest of your argument appears to be predicated on the idea that one should never challenge the taxman's view of things. Personally I have never adopted that as a prevailing paradigm and in fact I have had much success with the opposite idea - that one should act boldly and invite a challenge. As long as you have a reasonable argument I have found the taxmen to be mostly pussycats. YMMV.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » March 6th, 2018, 8:16 pm

Lootman wrote:Much of the rest of your argument appears to be predicated on the idea that one should never challenge the taxman's view of things. ...

An appearance that is purely in your mind, I would suggest, because I have not said anything about challenging the taxman's view of either route. Just about the practicalities of the two routes, and which of the two I prefer.

Lootman wrote:... Personally I have never adopted that as a prevailing paradigm and in fact I have had much success with the opposite idea - that one should act boldly and invite a challenge. ...

When there is something significant to be gained, I agree. But I fail to see anything significant to be gained over the negligible-value-claim route by choosing to sell at a peppercorn price in the case of Carillion - on the contrary, I regard the need it creates to find a willing buyer in the next 30 days as a noticeable disadvantage compared with a negligible value claim, with no advantages big enough to compensate for it.

I realise that you might view it differently - in particular, since you have said that you have sold at a peppercorn price before in such situations, you may well know that you can find such a buyer simply by phoning someone who has done it for you before and asking them to do it again. That would make it a pretty insignificant disadvantage for you, but it doesn't mean the same is true for me!

And as far as others here are concerned, I of course cannot judge how easy or difficult they will find the job of finding a suitable willing buyer in the next 30 days and thus how much of a disadvantage it is for them. So what I can do is raise the issue and leave people to decide how big or small they consider it for themselves.

Gengulphus

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 6th, 2018, 8:22 pm

Gengulphus wrote:When there is something significant to be gained, I agree.

Of course, and there could be something significant to be gained if, say, I have realised gains in this tax year over my annual CGT allowance, and have no other losses to take. Finding a buyer isn't hard, especially if he is also looking for a buyer ;-)

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » March 6th, 2018, 11:16 pm

Lootman wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:When there is something significant to be gained, I agree.

Of course, and there could be something significant to be gained if, say, I have realised gains in this tax year over my annual CGT allowance, and have no other losses to take. ...

Yes, I have to plead guilty to having oversimplified that particular sentence - to convey my intended meaning fully, it should have been "When there is something significant to be gained over the best of its alternatives, I agree." In the case you hypothesise, there are two alternatives to selling at a peppercorn price. One of them is to do nothing to try to reduce the gains and just pay the full amount of CGT, and as you suggest there is indeed something significant to be gained over that, namely paying less CGT. But the other, better alternative is to make a negligible value claim about the Carillion holding, and as I said in the immediately following sentence, I don't see anything significant to be gained over that.

Lootman wrote:... Finding a buyer isn't hard, especially if he is also looking for a buyer ;-)

As I indicated, our mileages probably differ on the ease or difficulty of finding a buyer - and those of other Fools may well differ from both of ours.

Gengulphus

maximan
2 Lemon pips

Postby maximan » March 19th, 2018, 7:25 am

Investigation into the preparation and approval of the financial statements of Carillion plc

19 March 2018

The Financial Reporting Council (FRC) has commenced an investigation into the conduct of Mr Richard Adam and Mr Zafar Khan, former Group Finance Directors of Carillion plc and members of the ICAEW, in relation to the preparation and approval of the financial statements of Carillion plc for the years ended 31 December 2014, 2015 and 2016, and the six months ended 30 June 2017, and the preparation and reporting of other financial information during the period 2014-2017 . The investigation will be conducted under the Accountancy Scheme.

Full RNS below

https://www.investegate.co.uk/financial ... _source=FE Investegate Ale

SeagoonN

Postby SeagoonN » March 26th, 2018, 3:15 pm

Juts received this from Charles Stanley Direct:

Carillion Plc
Compulsory Liquidation

**Further to our previous message, it has been announced that there is no possibility of a return to shareholders. Carillion Plc shares have therefore been removed from your portfolio.**

To quote a well-known sketch:

This share is no more! It has ceased to be! 'It's expired and gone to meet its maker! It's a stiff! Bereft of life, etc

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » March 26th, 2018, 3:42 pm

SeagoonN wrote:**Further to our previous message, it has been announced that there is no possibility of a return to shareholders. Carillion Plc shares have therefore been removed from your portfolio.**

Which gives something to quote to HMRC for those wanting to utilise the capital loss as a CGT offset in 2017-18.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 27th, 2018, 4:49 am

This from Sky News;

Carillion collapse: More than 9,000 jobs saved

The latest update came as the joint parliamentary inquiry into the spectacular collapse released documents from Carillion's remuneration committee, that showed bosses were more "focused on their own pay packets".

"It's greed on stilts, pure and simple," Labour MP Frank Field, who chairs the Work and Pensions Select Committee, said.

https://news.sky.com/story/carillion-co ... d-11304996

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » March 27th, 2018, 9:25 am

Sky News (idpickering) wrote:
The latest update came as the joint parliamentary inquiry into the spectacular collapse released documents from Carillion's remuneration committee, that showed bosses were more "focused on their own pay packets".

Actually you can see why. If Carillion was so running out of money that it could not pay suppliers, how would it find enough to pay cash bonuses? Directors have to get their priorities right.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 27th, 2018, 9:38 am

Alaric wrote:
Sky News (idpickering) wrote:

Actually you can see why. If Carillion was so running out of money that it could not pay suppliers, how would it find enough to pay cash bonuses? Directors have to get their priorities right.

I agree with you on this. It's all pretty obscene and criminal. Get the cops on it.

Ian.

maximan
2 Lemon pips

Postby maximan » April 3rd, 2018, 7:56 am

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Carillion post-mortem 2

Postby moorfield » May 16th, 2018, 10:35 am

That old thread has long been locked, so for those who still hold any of these zombie shares drifting around like tumbleweed in their broker accounts ...

Key findings from the MPs' report into Carillion's collapse

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... s-collapse

Grim reading.

Moderator Message:
There is an open Carillion Thread. So moving this post. Raptor.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » May 16th, 2018, 1:43 pm

Thanks Raptor yes I missed the first thread today.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » May 16th, 2018, 1:53 pm

moorfield wrote:Thanks Raptor yes I missed the first thread today.

As this thread also talks about negligible value claims etc, it might help to link it to Geng's cross post on here viewtopic.php?p=132320#p132320 which leads to viewtopic.php?f=49&t=11205 over at Taxes.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 16th, 2018, 2:43 pm

Yes the report is grim reading but not in the least surprising and it has given Frank Field his day in the sun. I think they would be better to stick to the facts than the OTT stuff he has indulged in. But not only were the Directors/top management vastly over confident, just what were the non exec Directors doing? Certainly not doing their job that's for sure.

Dod

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

A warning to us

Postby GrandOiseau » May 16th, 2018, 3:48 pm

There was an article in the Guardian "Carillion: 10 most shocking quotes from the report into its failure. Here are the most stinging comments in a MPs’ report on the failure of the company" and one of them was:

The perception of Carillion as a healthy and successful company was in no small part due to its directors’ determination to increase the dividend paid each year, come what may.

Highly apt for us HYpers, especially as another was:

Carillion could happen again, and soon.

Preaching to the converted I know but perhaps a tip to be vigilant.

Anybody any candidates for what corporation might be next?

Moderator Message:
Moving to existing thread on CLLN. Raptor.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » May 16th, 2018, 4:33 pm

Dod101 wrote:Yes the report is grim reading but not in the least surprising and it has given Frank Field his day in the sun. I think they would be better to stick to the facts than the OTT stuff he has indulged in. But not only were the Directors/top management vastly over confident, just what were the non exec Directors doing? Certainly not doing their job that's for sure.

Dod

In my view, Dod, that's a little dismissive of Frank Field. The report is the first time anyone has really got to grips with what was going on and pointed fingers at the failings of various parties. If anyone amongst the highly paid people and bodies had thought to make half the intellectually rigorous effort that Frank Field has, this event would have been halted at an earlier stage. He wasn't doing it to have a "day in the sun" - he was doing the job he was given, and very effectively - unlike those who were running, auditing and regulating Carillion.

Arb.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 16th, 2018, 4:58 pm

Well Arb how about Frank Field's description of the Board as 'shysters'? My dictionary says this word means 'an unscrupulous practitioner in any profession or business' and is in any case slang and not exactly business like for such a report. All the Board were unscrupulous? I doubt it. They were negligent and unquestioning almost certainly but unscrupulous?

And I must say I thought including Keith Cochrane was a bit much considering that he only joined the Board in July 2015 and he had been a very successful CEO at Weir Group in Glasgow. I bet he wishes he had never gone near it. Then of course he stepped in at the last minute to try to sort it out.

Undoubtedly the auditors have a lot to answer for and for that matter the FRC. It is highly amusing to me to read the 2016 Annual Report which is still on the website and read how well they were doing when it was published early last year. Mind you I was never a shareholder.

Dod

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » May 16th, 2018, 6:29 pm

Dod101 wrote:Well Arb how about Frank Field's description of the Board as 'shysters'? My dictionary says this word means 'an unscrupulous practitioner in any profession or business' and is in any case slang and not exactly business like for such a report. All the Board were unscrupulous? I doubt it. They were negligent and unquestioning almost certainly but unscrupulous?

And I must say I thought including Keith Cochrane was a bit much considering that he only joined the Board in July 2015 and he had been a very successful CEO at Weir Group in Glasgow. I bet he wishes he had never gone near it. Then of course he stepped in at the last minute to try to sort it out.

Undoubtedly the auditors have a lot to answer for and for that matter the FRC. It is highly amusing to me to read the 2016 Annual Report which is still on the website and read how well they were doing when it was published early last year. Mind you I was never a shareholder.

Dod

I deliberately didn't mention your accusation of Frank Field being OTT: I would say that's a value judgement. Basically, the report was correct and that is the main substance - FF and the committee should be given much credit, not dismissed. Funny, really, since you have been a critic of Carillion's management for a long time, but now you are making sarky remarks about the very person put in charge of proving your point of view.

It's a value judgement but I would suggest many people agree with the description "shyster" in this connection ; you and he agree there was something rotten at the core of this organisation and with the organisations meant to protect the stakeholders. You are basically on the same side here! We are - I think - back in the days of "the unacceptable face of capitalism" where greed and selfishness of powerful individuals to the detriment of thousands of others went too far. Crook, shyster, men over their heads by their own incompetence and scared to face the music: call it what you will - it was ugly by any standards.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”