Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Aviva Finals (part one of four)

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Re: Aviva Finals (part one of four)

Postby Arborbridge » March 10th, 2018, 9:58 am

I'm also of the view that Aviva is not an expulsion job, but I'm also happy to give a little more slack and keep it in the running for topping up. It's done jhust enough to keep its place in the HYP as a normal member: i.e. one which gets the usual consideration at top-up time.

My inital folly was in buying twice as much Av. in 2006 as I could afford. That is, when I made my original HYP share purchases, the allocated capital was too large per share. Later I scaled back my "unit" size, but the damage to AV. was done and soon after, the share price dropped. Had I started off with a sensible size, my subsequent top-ups would have bought the average purchase price down further than it is now.

However, all that's playing with numbers and what-might-have-beens. Here's another: the average yield on my average price is 4.5% yet I still retain all bar a small percentage of capital. Looked at in this very naive way, I am better off than I would be surrendering my capital to an insurance company. Even in this mediocre case, I'm on the winning side of the bet.

Arb.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » March 10th, 2018, 4:15 pm

OT for further discussion here but already causing alarm on the 'Gilts and Bonds' board is this little nugget - tucked away near the bottom of Part 1...
Aviva PLC wrote:In this regard, we have the ability to cancel preference shares at par value through a reduction of capital, subject to shareholder vote and court approval.

Discussion here...
I see these preference shares have just tanked !!!!!
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=10506

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 16th, 2018, 3:11 pm

I have just added Aviva back into my HYP fold a few minutes ago. Glad to have them back on board.

Ian.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 16th, 2018, 6:43 pm

idpickering wrote:I have just added Aviva back into my HYP fold a few minutes ago. Glad to have them back on board.

Ian.

Well done - join the club.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 16th, 2018, 7:04 pm

Based on info from SimplyWallSt...

The Earnings per share forecast for AV. is expected to increase over the next 4 years from 45p (Dec 18), 49p (Dec 19), 52p (Dec 20) & 55p (Dec 21).

Likewise, an uplift in dividends per share is anticipated out to 2023 (three).

I hold at 2.5% (along with LGEN and SLA - all 3 thus totalling 9.4% by value so that's about it unless I get tempted to add a tad more ;) )

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 16th, 2018, 7:31 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
idpickering wrote:I have just added Aviva back into my HYP fold a few minutes ago. Glad to have them back on board.

Ian.

Well done - join the club.

Thanks Arb. They sit alongside my LGEN, SLA, ADM, and DLG holdings. I shall put up the sector exposure figures tomorrow.

Ian.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 16th, 2018, 8:40 pm

Ian.

Oh dear...is that an odd number in your HYP now?

;)

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 16th, 2018, 9:39 pm

Doesn't look like Aviva will be shorted by Blackrock then!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/news/a ... ector.html

"Aviva’s boss has joined the board of investment behemoth Blackrock as a non-executive director."

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 17th, 2018, 6:53 am

monabri wrote:

Ian.

Oh dear...is that an odd number in your HYP now?

;)

Not at all monabri. In fact there's more to the story. I actually dumped Tate & Lyle due to the static div for years now, and also Pennon Group, as I was nervous of them, and both of these were from the lower index. I want reliable shares, that are going to pay me good increases of dividend, and a good yield too, preferably from the upper index. I mentioned that I'd like to bring AV. back into the fold, so I bit the bullet and went for it. So 28 shares in my HYP.

I said last night that I'd come back with my exposure to the insurance sector shares. As of now we have Admiral Group weighing in at 2.2% in capital value of the HYP. Aviv come in at 2.7%, Direct LIne at 2.8%, Legal & General at 5%, and Standard Life Aberdeen at 2.5%. So overall, 15.2% in the overall insurance sector, although they're each different beasts covering both life and non life insurance. That's it for the insurance sector for me. I do feel better having been so draconian, and have no regrets. No doubt some might have a go at me for behaving as I did, as not being very HYP. For me, I want a good HYP, and one I can ignore going forward. I think I can now.

Ian.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » March 17th, 2018, 8:59 am

idpickering wrote:
I actually dumped Tate & Lyle due to the static div for years now, and also Pennon Group, as I was nervous of them, and both of these were from the lower index. I want reliable shares, that are going to pay me good increases of dividend, and a good yield too, preferably from the upper index. I mentioned that I'd like to bring AV. back into the fold, so I bit the bullet and went for it. So 28 shares in my HYP.

Ian,

Just shows how it takes all types to make a market, in my ISA TATE is booked for my next purchase at the end of the month to mop up some dividends. You might be right about size and quality but they have just nudged the interim up after 3 years of static dividends. During those 3 years I have excluded them from top ups and I see there yield has also popped up above 5% for I think the first time since 2015.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”