Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Wpp

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
toofast2live
Lemon Slice

Wpp

Postby toofast2live » March 10th, 2018, 8:30 am

WPP yields just under 5%. I last picked it up on a yield north of 4% in the gloomy months of 2008. It’s delivered a storming Income for me the last ten years. So, is it time to go fishing again?

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Re: Wpp

Postby Arborbridge » March 10th, 2018, 9:40 am

toofast2live wrote:WPP yields just under 5%. I last picked it up on a yield north of 4% in the gloomy months of 2008. It’s delivered a storming Income for me the last ten years. So, is it time to go fishing again?

I my opinion, yes! Indeed, you may have noticed I topped up my hokdings at the beginning of this month.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » March 10th, 2018, 11:34 am

Ah, a little group think, me to, but I got in at about 20% less yield than on offer today. The increase in dividend history looks excellent but bear in mind that commitment to growth has stalled and recent numbers are less attractive than historic.

miner1000
2 Lemon pips

Postby miner1000 » March 12th, 2018, 4:24 am

Even the great Sir Martin sees problems with future cash flows at WPP. He says it is just a corporate timing issue, but it could be argued that advertising on social media and the internet is hitting the big players. Is this a structural change in the advertising business?

If so, then I would have thought that the disruptors could play havoc with WPP free cash flow,

If not then WPP have just gone ex-growth and would then be a perfect HYP share throwing off loads of cash with no share price growth for years to come.

The share is not for me partly because I dont like the size of Sir Martin's paycheck. Others must decide which of the above scenarios they believe will come to pass.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 12th, 2018, 6:20 am

Arborbridge wrote:
toofast2live wrote:WPP yields just under 5%. I last picked it up on a yield north of 4% in the gloomy months of 2008. It’s delivered a storming Income for me the last ten years. So, is it time to go fishing again?

I my opinion, yes! Indeed, you may have noticed I topped up my hokdings at the beginning of this month.

I can't quite bring myself to pull the trigger and buy into them. I think I'm suffering from Post Traumatic Pearson Syndrome (PTPS).

Ian.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 12th, 2018, 7:54 am

idpickering wrote:
I can't quite bring myself to pull the trigger and buy into them. I think I'm suffering from Post Traumatic Pearson Syndrome (PTPS).

Ian.

Good morning, Ian:

Try PT[CLLN]S !! Or even: oh heck, I've-sold-my-Marks-shares-and-what-do-I-do-now?

Arb.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 12th, 2018, 8:05 am

Arborbridge wrote:
idpickering wrote:

Ian.

Good morning, Ian:

Try PT[CLLN]S !! Or even: oh heck, I've-sold-my-Marks-shares-and-what-do-I-do-now?

Arb.

Good morning Arb. We jest I know, but what happens in your investing past does influence what you one may, or not, do going forward I think. By the way, I'm not belittling anyone who suffers PTSD, having been there myself (and still am) following my time in The Army. Going back to WPP though, I'm not sure they're worth the risk/yield on offer.

Ian.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 13th, 2018, 10:10 am

There are events going on that might adversely affect WPP and advertising revenue...notably what's going on with Russia and the recent " nerve gas attack" If this leads to a boycott of the World Cup by England and others, it will affect WPP's revenue.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 13th, 2018, 12:16 pm

monabri wrote:There are events going on that might adversely affect WPP and advertising revenue...notably what's going on with Russia and the recent " nerve gas attack" If this leads to a boycott of the World Cup by England and others, it will affect WPP's revenue.

There's always something to worry about! HYP is the Zen of investing - or should be.

In principle, the larger and better companies are apt to adapt - that has been bread and butter for HYPers from year one.

Arb.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 13th, 2018, 1:19 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
There's always something to worry about! HYP is the Zen of investing - or should be.

As you say Arb, "should be". If it was all rosy, it'd be very quiet around here. ;)

For those of us less enlightened,....man;

Zen An approach to an activity, skill, or subject that emphasizes simplicity and intuition rather than conventional thinking or fixation on goals.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/Zen

Very apt IMHO.

Ian.

torata
Lemon Slice

Postby torata » March 14th, 2018, 12:09 pm

monabri wrote:There are events going on that might adversely affect WPP and advertising revenue...notably what's going on with Russia and the recent " nerve gas attack" If this leads to a boycott of the World Cup by England and others, it will affect WPP's revenue.

In the grand scheme of things, I think that scenario is relatively small beer for WPP. It's the structural issues that are more of an issue - is the agency model going to get stuffed in the same way a lot of bricks and mortar retailers are getting stuffed by on-line retailers.

torata

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » March 22nd, 2018, 10:21 pm

miner1000 wrote:Even the great Sir Martin sees problems with future cash flows at WPP. He says it is just a corporate timing issue, but it could be argued that advertising on social media and the internet is hitting the big players. Is this a structural change in the advertising business?

This weeks news has recalled your post, miner1000. I don't think WPP has (demonstrably, yet) been caught up in the current data harvesting scandal. But I know nothing except that I am happy to keep holding + building WPP. Swings and roundabouts, the visscitudes of an investors' road travelled etc.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 27th, 2018, 11:32 am

moorfield wrote:
miner1000 wrote:Even the great Sir Martin sees problems with future cash flows at WPP. He says it is just a corporate timing issue, but it could be argued that advertising on social media and the internet is hitting the big players. Is this a structural change in the advertising business?

This weeks news has recalled your post, miner1000. I don't think WPP has (demonstrably, yet) been caught up in the current data harvesting scandal. But I know nothing except that I am happy to keep holding + building WPP. Swings and roundabouts, the visscitudes of an investors' road travelled etc.

I'm toying with bringing WPP into my HYP fold. Now may well be a good time to do so?

Ian.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » March 27th, 2018, 11:48 am

idpickering wrote:I'm toying with bringing WPP into my HYP fold. Now may well be a good time to do so?

Yes indeed we've discussed WPP recently elsewhere: viewtopic.php?p=121245#p121245

If you are stamp collecting, you won't find a bigger market cap and higher yield from the media sector currently.

OTOH, if you are yield collecting, there are much tastier yields for those willing to put their ranking/weighting/median ocd to one side for the rest of the year: SSE, RDSB, VOD, IMB, GSK, LGEN, HSBA for starters ...

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 27th, 2018, 12:14 pm

moorfield wrote:
idpickering wrote:I'm toying with bringing WPP into my HYP fold. Now may well be a good time to do so?

Yes indeed we've discussed WPP recently elsewhere: viewtopic.php?p=121245#p121245

If you are stamp collecting, you won't find a bigger market cap and higher yield from the media sector currently.

OTOH, if you are yield collecting, there are much tastier yields for those willing to put their ranking/weighting/median ocd to one side for the rest of the year: SSE, RDSB, VOD, IMB, GSK, LGEN, HSBA for starters ...

I hear you moorfield ;) . It was just a thought thanks. I already have all the others you mentioned..

Ian.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 27th, 2018, 12:49 pm

Just one consideration that has been going round my mind. How much revenue does WPP get from advertising at the World Cup? I'm a little concerned that England might boycott the games (thus denying them the obvious World Cup and putting an end to "52 years of hurt".... ;) ). Is it 28 countries that have now supported Great Britain regarding the Salisbury attack?

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 27th, 2018, 1:53 pm

monabri wrote:Just one consideration that has been going round my mind. How much revenue does WPP get from advertising at the World Cup? I'm a little concerned that England might boycott the games (thus denying them the obvious World Cup and putting an end to "52 years of hurt".... ;) ). Is it 28 countries that have now supported Great Britain regarding the Salisbury attack?

With the 'hurt' the England team have caused me over the years, it could be thought as charitable, and humane, if they didn't participate. :D

Ian.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » March 27th, 2018, 2:32 pm

monabri wrote:Just one consideration that has been going round my mind. How much revenue does WPP get from advertising at the World Cup? I'm a little concerned that England might boycott the games (thus denying them the obvious World Cup and putting an end to "52 years of hurt".... ;) ). Is it 28 countries that have now supported Great Britain regarding the Salisbury attack?

That's utterly irrelevant to me. I'm trusting that the overpaid CEO has ensured his business is diversified enough that World Cup revenue (or loss of) is a gnat on the elephant that is WPP's top line. And I'm not particularly interested in football either.

mike
Lemon Slice

Re: Wpp - Sky reporting Sorrell has resigned

Postby mike » April 14th, 2018, 10:38 pm

https://news.sky.com/story/ad-titan-sorrell-brings-curtain-down-on-32-year-wpp-career-11331787

Sir Martin Sorrell is bringing the curtain down on a 32-year career as chief executive of WPP Group, the ‎marketing services giant, weeks after its board launched a probe into an allegation of improper personal conduct.

In an email to WPP staff on Saturday night seen by Sky News, Sir Martin said it was "in the interest of our clients...and all our other stakeholders...for me to step aside".

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » April 15th, 2018, 12:02 am

Aren't we a little curious to know what he's really been up to? The Sunday tabloids may tell us more, but I imagine the lawyers have spent the last fortnight sorting out a non-disclosure package for the (now departed) junior employee involved, so alas we may never know. :twisted:

Just like that, after 33 years. All very mystifying.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”