Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

In the red with Imperial Brands!

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Re: In the red with Imperial Brands!

Postby Arborbridge » March 21st, 2018, 3:43 pm

Walrus wrote:Thankyou Sir, I think there is a strong case for stepping away from the trigger as I don't really want to have an outsized position in this. I will continue with my planned purchase of Shell this month.

Well, I don't know the details of your HYP, but given what you say about IBM becoming an outsized position, I would agree that buying Shell seems sensible as an alternative, all things being equal.

If you stick your shares into HYPTUSS, that can act as a very good guide as to which shares to focus your attention on.

Arb.

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » March 21st, 2018, 3:45 pm

kempiejon wrote:Dividend announcements still maintain an ambition for real above inflation growth and the history shows us double digit growth over a five, ten and fifteen years plus. The switch to quarterlies a few years back means that cash comes more often throughout the year rather than with interim and finals. So far so good I'd say. I'll remind myself of an early mistake with the advice when maintaining a portfolio keep positions more or less in balance do not overweight what appear to be bargains. Come the new tax year I'll look again at my portfolio balance but tobacco does not come high on my top up priority 7% yield not withstanding.

Just to reiterate what kempiejon has said really - I also try to keep as balanced a portfolio as possible.

Checking for my next top up (which will probably be when HSBC's dividend drops in on the 6th April) currently those ripe are BA., GNK, IMB, SSE, ULVR, UU. I will probably opt for SSE based on the value of the holding against the others on the list.

Cheers, OLTB.

Walrus
Lemon Slice

Postby Walrus » March 21st, 2018, 4:24 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
Walrus wrote:Thankyou Sir, I think there is a strong case for stepping away from the trigger as I don't really want to have an outsized position in this. I will continue with my planned purchase of Shell this month.

Well, I don't know the details of your HYP, but given what you say about IBM becoming an outsized position, I would agree that buying Shell seems sensible as an alternative, all things being equal.

If you stick your shares into HYPTUSS, that can act as a very good guide as to which shares to focus your attention on.

Arb.

Thanks I will take a look at that.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 21st, 2018, 5:13 pm

The reason why I posted on RDSB and it's share price in 2016 was merely to highlight that not long ago Shell was out of favour and now look where we are! The brave who bought RDSB then in 2016 are now receiving effectively a very nice yield (anyone got a time machine ;) ?).

ps.i topped up a little on BATS today..4.99% yield ain't bad.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 21st, 2018, 6:19 pm

monabri wrote:The reason why I posted on RDSB and it's share price in 2016 was merely to highlight that not long ago Shell was out of favour and now look where we are! The brave who bought RDSB then in 2016 are now receiving effectively a very nice yield (anyone got a time machine ;) ?).

ps.i topped up a little on BATS today..4.99% yield ain't bad.

Good point, and I think we will have already, a plethora of shares to choose from. BATs, as you mention, has suddenly zoomed into the zone with 4.5% historic yield which better than my previous purchase at just over 4%. In fact, my best so far for this share was 4.67%, so we are certainly at code green.

We will have - as is often the case - too much choice and not enough cash.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 21st, 2018, 7:03 pm

ap8889 wrote:
idpickering wrote:
ap8889 wrote:I am 37% down on one parcel, and worse, it was one of my largest holdings. I averaged down at -20%, and looks like I may get a further opportunity to average down again at -40%.

Another cracking paper loss, in real money terms 4x my hit from briefly holding Carillion.

Interesting ap8889. What’s you plan going forward?

Ian

Probably one more top up. Wish I could have the same stake to invest at this price, it looks super beaten down. After that, back to building up collectives. Fundsmith going to get a 10% weighting. I love what they do and how they do it makes good sense.

Thanks for your reply. To clarify, my account is set up to buy some more LOYD tomorrow. iMB can wait until next month, maybe. Good luck.

Ian.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » March 21st, 2018, 9:19 pm

monabri wrote:The reason why I posted on RDSB and it's share price in 2016 was merely to highlight that not long ago Shell was out of favour and now look where we are! The brave who bought RDSB then in 2016 are now receiving effectively a very nice yield (anyone got a time machine ;) ?).

Centrica 9.1% anyone?

#justsayin

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 21st, 2018, 9:26 pm

#justsayin

Please reply

#imbravebutnotthatbrave

:)

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » March 21st, 2018, 10:40 pm

moorfield wrote:Centrica 9.1% anyone?

#justsayin

I've never held CNA, except for a few days when it split off from BG. Didn't fancy it then and have never fancied it since.

I used to get my gas from them and went somewhere less expensive. I wouldn't trust them to look after a boiler, as everybody I know who has a service contract has to get them back soon after a service to put it right.

There has to be a reason why their customer base keeps shrinking.

TJH

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » March 21st, 2018, 10:51 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
moorfield wrote:Centrica 9.1% anyone?

#justsayin

I've never held CNA, except for a few days when it split off from BG. Didn't fancy it then and have never fancied it since.

I used to get my gas from them and went somewhere less expensive. I wouldn't trust them to look after a boiler, as everybody I know who has a service contract has to get them back soon after a service to put it right.

There has to be a reason why their customer base keeps shrinking.

TJH

Yes we've recently just left CNA for elsewhere too, which was painless, and I'm cross I didn't do that earlier. But they still look after the boilers at Moorfield Towers and in fact we've never had a problem with them there actually (in fact they've just put a new heat exchanger into the combi for us). I'm not normally one for "smell tests" but CNA is smelling gassy isn't it (pun intended). Perhaps Gazprom will take it over after all. :shock:

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » March 21st, 2018, 11:32 pm

ap888 said:

Probably one more top up. Wish I could have the same stake to invest at this price, it looks super beaten down. After that, back to building up collectives. Fundsmith going to get a 10% weighting. I love what they do and how they do it makes good sense.

I fell asleep while watching that video yesterday and haven't had time to repeat it. However, unless I dreamed it, he said he was very anti income shares/funds. Someone on Citywire today was very critical of fundsmith and wondered why they had bought Facebook.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 24th, 2018, 11:49 am

This from TMF regarding Woodford and IMB;

This is Neil Woodford’s take on Imperial Brands’ share price drop

https://www.fool.co.uk/investing/2018/0 ... rice-drop/

toofast2live
Lemon Slice

Postby toofast2live » March 24th, 2018, 12:18 pm

Old Woody thought the market "got it wrong" on capita, AA and Provy as well. In fact the old devil added more CPA. Turns out the market sometimes has a better nose for for dog poo than Woody.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » March 24th, 2018, 12:22 pm

Very useful, Ian. I don't always agree with TMF either but I certainly hope they are both right as I am now losing quite a lot (though looking forward to the dividend). Does it help your Pickering or are you still vacillating re a top up??

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 24th, 2018, 1:33 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Very useful, Ian. I don't always agree with TMF either but I certainly hope they are both right as I am now losing quite a lot (though looking forward to the dividend). Does it help your Pickering or are you still vacillating re a top up??

Hi Bouleversee, I found the item interesting, and for what it's worth, I agree with Woody. In the tobacco sector I have put more funds into IMB than I have BATS over the years. This was because I've always been very happy to get the nice dividends from IMB. Capital gains had never really crossed my mind to be honest at the time of those purchases, and the share was bought for the dividend/yield on offer at that time. I made a small top up of IMB last month, and I am seriously considering another top up of my IMB holdings. In short, I will probably buy more IMB at some point soon.

Ian.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 24th, 2018, 1:49 pm

Late to this party but I ignore anything attributed to Woodford (or any other fund manager for that matter)so I regard the quote about what he says as totally irrelevant. I think that the market has suddenly twigged that tobacco is a dieing industry in all senses. I have just been to Australia Singapore and HK and only in HK is tobacco more than tolerated and it is certainly not accommodated in Singapore or Melbourne to any extent. Not to say that it will not continue to throw off good dividends, just that capital growth if any is unlikely to grow any faster than the increase in the dividends, and as Mr Mundy from Temple Bar said in his Annual Report, they are simply bond proxies nowadays.

Dod

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 24th, 2018, 1:52 pm

toofast2live wrote:Old Woody thought the market "got it wrong" on capita, AA and Provy as well. In fact the old devil added more CPA. Turns out the market sometimes has a better nose for for dog poo than Woody.

Yes, but only "sometimes"! I don't suppose anyone gets it right all the time - even Warren Buffett. The important thing is to be more right than wrong, and Woodford has proved capable of doing that over the long stretch. One could hardly ask more.

Naturally, being successful means the great british public will turn on you quickly if there are any signs of weakness. Luckily, none of us have this problem! Our errors can be hidden if we so desire.

Arb.

PS, I did in fact sell out from the Woodford Equity income fund and reinvested in his income focus fund. Whether that was wise I'm happy to wait and see. Meanwhile, my OEIC basket continues to do very well, despite the feeling that funds managers are all expensive dolts.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 24th, 2018, 2:01 pm

Dod101 wrote:Late to this party but I ignore anything attributed to Woodford (or any other fund manager for that matter)so I regard the quote about what he says as totally irrelevant. I think that the market has suddenly twigged that tobacco is a dieing industry in all senses. I have just been to Australia Singapore and HK and only in HK is tobacco more than tolerated and it is certainly not accommodated in Singapore or Melbourne to any extent. Not to say that it will not continue to throw off good dividends, just that capital growth if any is unlikely to grow any faster than the increase in the dividends, and as Mr Mundy from Temple Bar said in his Annual Report, they are simply bond proxies nowadays.

Dod

Good to have you and your no nonsense contributions back Dod. As for my tobacco holdings, I have no intention of selling them, and shall just lap up those juicy dividends.

Ian.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 24th, 2018, 6:26 pm

Dod101 wrote:Late to this party but I ignore anything attributed to Woodford (or any other fund manager for that matter)so I regard the quote about what he says as totally irrelevant. I think that the market has suddenly twigged that tobacco is a dieing industry in all senses. I have just been to Australia Singapore and HK and only in HK is tobacco more than tolerated and it is certainly not accommodated in Singapore or Melbourne to any extent. Not to say that it will not continue to throw off good dividends, just that capital growth if any is unlikely to grow any faster than the increase in the dividends, and as Mr Mundy from Temple Bar said in his Annual Report, they are simply bond proxies nowadays.

Dod

Welcome back Dod. Bond proxies but with a rising dividend? Well, that wouldn't be so bad. The worry is that capital and dividends might get stubbed out forever, but one hopes that such mega-corporations would find ways of adapting.

Pony Express survived in name only after the invention of the telegraph.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 25th, 2018, 1:31 pm

I am inclined to think that the tobaccos will survive long enough for me not to worry too much but I am afraid that if I were much earlier in my investing career I would not be investing with them. I think for those who still have say 10/15 years before retirement it is at best laziness to buy the tobaccos and at worst, probably foolhardy. Much better to buy say Scottish Mortgage, and similar, so that you are buying into the future and not the past.

Dod

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”