Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

In the red with Imperial Brands!

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Re: In the red with Imperial Brands!

Postby absolutezero » March 14th, 2018, 12:00 pm

idpickering wrote:
absolutezero wrote:
idpickering wrote:
However, we should all give ourselves a good shake and remember it's about the income. Capital gains/losses are secondary.

Ian.

Since learning my lesson with CLLN I can no longer agree with this - and I did for a long time.
I am primarily income focussed but if the market marks your shares down by a large amount then you made a bad decision, surely.
The dividends sweeten the blow somewhat.

I hear you on this. No one said investing, of whatever ilk, is easy, and being human, it is hard to try and detract yourself with what’s going on. To clarify my point though, in the main I can stomach the ups and downs of share prices, however, there may be situations when one has to take action. I did so with CLLN, as is known hereabouts.

Ian.

Which is causing me some conflict as there doesn't appear to be anything financially wrong with the company (SBRY or IMB) and there doesn't seem a political risk in the offing either.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 14th, 2018, 12:20 pm

absolutezero wrote:
idpickering wrote:
absolutezero wrote:Since learning my lesson with CLLN I can no longer agree with this - and I did for a long time.
I am primarily income focussed but if the market marks your shares down by a large amount then you made a bad decision, surely.
The dividends sweeten the blow somewhat.

I hear you on this. No one said investing, of whatever ilk, is easy, and being human, it is hard to try and detract yourself with what’s going on. To clarify my point though, in the main I can stomach the ups and downs of share prices, however, there may be situations when one has to take action. I did so with CLLN, as is known hereabouts.

Ian.

Which is causing me some conflict as there doesn't appear to be anything financially wrong with the company (SBRY or IMB) and there doesn't seem a political risk in the offing either.

I do agree with you absolutezero. It is strange I grant you. I think I'm putting them in my "you can't win them all" pile, and try not to stress about it.

Ian.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » March 14th, 2018, 12:21 pm

absolutezero wrote:I'm more thinking of company specific stop losses.
I.e. You made the wrong decision. The market disagrees and has marked that company down by 25% since you bought.

I agree that having made a wrong decision is a good reason to sell. But I will decide whether I've made a wrong decision - allowing Mr Market to decide that instead makes me far too vulnerable to his manic-depressive swings.

Especially if I let him do so with a fall of just 25%. I have just run through the 38 shares in my HYP (*), taking a look at a 5-year chart of each of them to see whether they've suffered a 25% fall in those 5 years. Just six of them haven't (**) and the remaining 32 have...

So if I automatically sold every time one of my HYP holdings suffered a 25% drop, the signs are that few of my holdings would survive for five years. And at least as far as I'm concerned, the long term basically starts at a holding period of 5+ years (the short term being 1 year or less, and 1-5 years being the medium term). So again as far as I am concerned, 25% stop-losses are in practice incompatible with running HYP or other LTBH strategies.

(*) I do actually have two more shares in my HYP. However, Carillion is only technically there, in the sense that the shares do still exist and I do still own them (and will continue to do so until the company is formally dissolved at the end of its liquidation), but are completely worthless. And there is one other company whose credentials as ever really having been a HYP share are distinctly dubious - it was in a different part of my overall strategy that I closed down some years ago, and I decided that continuing to hold it but now counted as part of my HYP was the lesser evil (which has in fact turned out to have been a mistake). If I were to count those two, the statistics would change to 34 out of 40 companies having experienced a 25% fall in the last five years, which is of course a slightly higher proportion than the 32 out of 38 figure given above, so I am if anything slightly exaggerating the percentage that didn't suffer a 25% drop.

(**) And of those six, two looked too close to call on the basis of just eyeballing the chart: I've given them the benefit of the doubt, so again am if anything somewhat exaggerating the percentage that didn't suffer a 25% drop.

Gengulphus

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » March 14th, 2018, 12:38 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
absolutezero wrote:I'm more thinking of company specific stop losses.
I.e. You made the wrong decision. The market disagrees and has marked that company down by 25% since you bought.

I agree that having made a wrong decision is a good reason to sell. But I will decide whether I've made a wrong decision - allowing Mr Market to decide that instead makes me far too vulnerable to his manic-depressive swings.

Especially if I let him do so with a fall of just 25%. I have just run through the 38 shares in my HYP (*), taking a look at a 5-year chart of each of them to see whether they've suffered a 25% fall in those 5 years. Just six of them haven't (**) and the remaining 32 have...

So if I automatically sold every time one of my HYP holdings suffered a 25% drop, the signs are that few of my holdings would survive for five years. And at least as far as I'm concerned, the long term basically starts at a holding period of 5+ years (the short term being 1 year or less, and 1-5 years being the medium term). So again as far as I am concerned, 25% stop-losses are in practice incompatible with running HYP or other LTBH strategies.

(*) I do actually have two more shares in my HYP. However, Carillion is only technically there, in the sense that the shares do still exist and I do still own them (and will continue to do so until the company is formally dissolved at the end of its liquidation), but are completely worthless. And there is one other company whose credentials as ever really having been a HYP share are distinctly dubious - it was in a different part of my overall strategy that I closed down some years ago, and I decided that continuing to hold it but now counted as part of my HYP was the lesser evil (which has in fact turned out to have been a mistake). If I were to count those two, the statistics would change to 34 out of 40 companies having experienced a 25% fall in the last five years, which is of course a slightly higher proportion than the 32 out of 38 figure given above, so I am if anything slightly exaggerating the percentage that didn't suffer a 25% drop.

(**) And of those six, two looked too close to call on the basis of just eyeballing the chart: I've given them the benefit of the doubt, so again am if anything somewhat exaggerating the percentage that didn't suffer a 25% drop.

Gengulphus

As always, a very considered and useful response.

Buying is the easy bit. I've always found that.
Deciding whether and if to sell is the hard part.

I think if I can't see anything fundamentally wrong with the company I ought to leave alone if there are no:
-profit warnings
-dividend cuts
-corporate actions that would leave me holding foreign shares
-political risks
-de-listings
-major rights issues

I guess the question to ask is: Would I buy this now? If not, why not?

What would make you sell?

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » March 14th, 2018, 1:01 pm

I held Carillion and failed to sell before they became worthless.

If the same scenario presented itself again, with the same information available, I'm not sure if I'd behave differently :oops:

My reasoning is that when a company takes a hit (say 80 or 90% capital evaporated) the downside to 100% wipeout is dramaitic, emotional, but financially speaking a tiddler in the scheme of things within a well diversified portfolio. Note that that's referring to the remainder of the value, not the initial loss! The upside is potentially unlimited and in practice may provide even those selling with a better exit point if they do nothing until the dust settles. The trick (for me) is to ignore the loss and look at the share as it currently stands, and usually, I expect the management to do their damnedest to get back on track, so a sale before they have had a chance to show their ability is perhaps premature, especially if new blood has been brought in (e.g. Morrison;s declaration of a special today being a timely example!)

I think Arb was going to do some analysis on his HYP sales, and I'd love to see what (if any) conclusions he is able to make from that study.

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » March 14th, 2018, 1:25 pm

vrdiver wrote:I held Carillion and failed to sell before they became worthless.

If the same scenario presented itself again, with the same information available, I'm not sure if I'd behave differently :oops:

My reasoning is that when a company takes a hit (say 80 or 90% capital evaporated) the downside to 100% wipeout is dramaitic, emotional, but financially speaking a tiddler in the scheme of things within a well diversified portfolio. Note that that's referring to the remainder of the value, not the initial loss! The upside is potentially unlimited and in practice may provide even those selling with a better exit point if they do nothing until the dust settles. The trick (for me) is to ignore the loss and look at the share as it currently stands, and usually, I expect the management to do their damnedest to get back on track, so a sale before they have had a chance to show their ability is perhaps premature, especially if new blood has been brought in (e.g. Morrison;s declaration of a special today being a timely example!)

I think Arb was going to do some analysis on his HYP sales, and I'd love to see what (if any) conclusions he is able to make from that study.

I don't tend to think very much of senior management in any organisation.
My view being somewhat influenced from my time in work. Non-entities and brown nosers who say the right things mostly end up as senior managers.
I take the Buffett/Lynch approach. “They say in the stock market, ‘Buy into a business that’s doing so well an idiot could run it, because sooner or later, one will'”

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » March 14th, 2018, 1:27 pm

Ian [/quote]
I'm in the same boat with Sainsbury.
27% down.
I've said I'll stop loss at 25% but crunching the numbers there doesn't seem anything fundamentally wrong.
A quandary.[/quote]

The major thing I picked up from CLLN sorry saga was to keep an eye on the short tracker.
https://shorttracker.co.uk/companies/?sort=2&d=desc
Sainsburys are on the front page ~10.2% shorted
(Note that a lot of the front page is devoted to retailers).

While this is not the only consideration, it adds to my level of discomfort. There are a whole bunch of people, possibly with inside knowledge or otherwise better informed, who are making a leveredged/asymetric bet on something nasty happening.

Discomfort level got to the point where I bailed out of Sainsburys last month (also Cobham, BBY, PSON, on much the same reasoning).
Topped up with NG, LG & NG

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » March 14th, 2018, 1:37 pm

absolutezero wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:
absolutezero wrote:So it basically boils down to
- Not wanting to get foreign shares (I have sympathy with that with my TUI dividend cheque saga)
- De-listing or going private somehow
- Suspension of dividends
- Huge rights issues

Kind of bringing it back on topic, how about selling if a stop loss is triggered?

I don't believe in stop losses, as everything is relative to the market.

TJH

Quite.
If the market slumped by 20% I'd not be selling everything if most of my shares did similar.

I'm more thinking of company specific stop losses.

My own criteria for complete disposals are that:

1. The yield had fallen below half of the average market yield.

2. The share has stopped paying dividends with no prospect of resumption in the foreseeable future.

I take little account of share price movements, except insofar as they lead to my first criterion being met. To take a current example, RB. is now down considerably from its recent high level. Should I be rushing to sell?

TJH

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » March 14th, 2018, 1:57 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
absolutezero wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:I don't believe in stop losses, as everything is relative to the market.

TJH

Quite.
If the market slumped by 20% I'd not be selling everything if most of my shares did similar.

2. The share has stopped paying dividends with no prospect of resumption in the foreseeable future.

I take little account of share price movements, except insofar as they lead to my first criterion being met. To take a current example, RB. is now down considerably from its recent high level. Should I be rushing to sell?

TJH

Forecast yield of 2.9% but no sign of dividend cancellation.
30% off its peak.
By your criteria, not a sell. Depends what price you paid for it though.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 14th, 2018, 2:12 pm

absolutezero wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:
absolutezero wrote:Quite.

TJH

30% off its peak.

In that situation/figures Reckitt would be a hold for me, and not a top up candidate.

Ian.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » March 14th, 2018, 4:19 pm

absolutezero wrote:Forecast yield of 2.9% but no sign of dividend cancellation.
30% off its peak.

Bought on 21-Mar-2011 at 3063p, yield was 4.1% from the next two dividends, 55p interim, 70p final, 125p total.

Peak price was just over £80 in June last year. Latest dividends 164p total.

Definitely not a sell.

TJH

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » March 14th, 2018, 6:35 pm

With my bold:

absolutezero wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:My own criteria for complete disposals are that:

30% off its peak.

Why?

If I and a hypothetical twin of mine are in identical financial circumstances, including identical share portfolios, and the only difference between us is the historical one that we paid different amounts for our holdings of IMB (or any other share), how can selling it be the right financial decision for one of us and the wrong financial decision for the other?

There could of course be non-financial factors involved - e.g. if only one of us were to develop ethical objections to investing in tobacco companies, that would be a reason for one to sell and the other not. But in that case, the ethics rather than the purchase price difference are the reason for the different decisions.

Gengulphus

BristolDave

Postby BristolDave » March 15th, 2018, 11:36 am

Further to my earlier post I have today dipped my toe in the water as the price dipped below 2500 and the yield now approaching 6.85% by my calculation. Not sure if my timing is any good but then I never seem to be able to time my purchases to best effect anyway :(

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » March 15th, 2018, 12:07 pm

Gengulphus wrote:With my bold:

absolutezero wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:My own criteria for complete disposals are that:

30% off its peak.

Why?

If I and a hypothetical twin of mine are in identical financial circumstances, including identical share portfolios, and the only difference between us is the historical one that we paid different amounts for our holdings of IMB (or any other share), how can selling it be the right financial decision for one of us and the wrong financial decision for the other?

There could of course be non-financial factors involved - e.g. if only one of us were to develop ethical objections to investing in tobacco companies, that would be a reason for one to sell and the other not. But in that case, the ethics rather than the purchase price difference are the reason for the different decisions.

Gengulphus

I know about the blind 'capital doesn't matter' and 'it's purely about income' sentiment on anything to do with HYP, but that's a nonsense statement if taken to it's extreme. CLLN, anybody?

Plenty research has been done as to what makes money in shares and executing your losers is one of them.
Lee Freeman-Shor's recent book is a good example of this.

Take a hypothetical company and you pay 6800p for it's shares and it has a decent yield.
You hold through thick and thin and over time the share price falls to 250 p. You sit on a near 95% capital loss. (Capital doesn't matter. It's all about income. Yes?)
Falling share price also leads to cutting dividends so they end cancelled for over ten years.
Chances are I'll be dead in the 30/40 years it takes to at minimum break even once dividends start up and or capital builds back up.

But it's all about the income, right?
After looking at the total return, I might as well have shoved the money in the bank in a cash ISA and got 1-1.5% rather than destroy the money I once spent working many hours to earn.

Yes. It could have gone the other way and grown dividends and capital, but in this case with this share, it didn't.
If it did I wouldn't be considering selling as it would be a winner rather than a loser.

Money is money, whether it comes from income or capital.
So yes. The price you paid surely does matter.

I no longer see myself as blindly following the pure HYP mentality of 'never sell unless the market does it for you'.
It did that with CLLN at a price of zero.

RBS has been underwater, and probably will be for years. I expect you realised my cherry picked example was RBS.

I'm now more a I'm going to buy high yield shares but cut losses if necessary.

But the P in HYP stands for portfolio. Overall you are quids in. Maybe, but I can be more quids in if I use stop losses to stop capital destruction at, say 20%, and redeploy the money into something else.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » March 15th, 2018, 12:25 pm

absolutezero wrote:I can be more quids in if I use stop losses to stop capital destruction at, say 20%, and redeploy the money into something else.

Maybe, maybe not.

I think Gengulphus posted earlier that within his own portfolio the majority of shares have suffered market swings of -25% or so.

Had he applied a stop loss policy at 20% then there would have been a lot of churn (as they triggered) and in most cases the share then recovered, so such action would have been to sell at a depressed price and lose the dividend whilst in cash.

If it was as easy as just setting a stop loss, then everybody would do it. Before applying such a policy you might want to model it on a full portfolio (e.g. take Arb's portfolio: /viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2305#p21041) and see how many holdings as at the time of publication would have triggered a sale, vs their value now. I haven't tried to do the analysis, but it would be interesting to know the results if you do!

Arb - I picked your portfolio at random as the first that I found over on the review board. Nothing personal ;)

VRD

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » March 15th, 2018, 4:48 pm

vrdiver wrote:I think Gengulphus posted earlier that within his own portfolio the majority of shares have suffered market swings of -25% or so.

It's this bit here. I think G meant 25% swings from peak price (I may be wrong).
I'm talking about a 25% drop from your entry price - which may or may not be peak.

dredd0

Postby dredd0 » March 15th, 2018, 5:39 pm

Sadly Imperial Brands are in a dying industry. Don't get me wrong; this is not a political and off-topic comment. Just that, taking a 20 year view, it seems to me inevitable that there will be no tobacco industry.

Cheers
dredd0
30 years a smoker, 9 years a survivor

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 15th, 2018, 6:48 pm

vrdiver wrote:If it was as easy as just setting a stop loss, then everybody would do it. Before applying such a policy you might want to model it on a full portfolio (e.g. take Arb's portfolio: /viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2305#p21041) and see how many holdings as at the time of publication would have triggered a sale, vs their value now. I haven't tried to do the analysis, but it would be interesting to know the results if you do!

Arb - I picked your portfolio at random as the first that I found over on the review board. Nothing personal ;)

VRD

No problem.

I'd say the use of stop-losses as a strategy is not probably not appropriate for HYP. In my days pre-HYP I used them as part of an overall TA-driven strategy and invested in smaller shares anyway. Over a period of some years, it kept me safe but I only achieved a sort of "cautious managed" portfolio result. Not brilliant!

Why aren't stop losses appropriate? Because there would be significantly more churn and missed dividends. HYP is a strategy which builds on the largest companies which are unlikely to go bust. Our belief is that they may have large dips, but will recover and carry on paying out dividends. A stop loss for that type of strategy is difficult to operate: you can't base a portfolio on never selling then argue for stop losses all round.

However, as a tactic I can see that stop losses have a use - indeed I have used them three or four times with my HYP over the years. The limited circumstances are :
a) if a share which I have already decided to sell or trim is in an uptrend. I can then hopefully squeeze a little more capital gain whilst riding the wave, and let the market take care of trimming it eventually. This I did with Diageo.

b) if you've decided the outlook for a share or sector is risky and the share has been falling for some time. I set a stop loss for Marks recently on the basis that if it carried on falling further then I would rather get out. I set the stop slightly below a recent low, but hoped that Marks would recover and build a trend: it didn't. It fell through the previous low and is now scraping along the bottom of that 280p area. Whether this will become a turning point is a risk I took - but I'm out for the moment, possibly for ever.

In one case, my desire was to carry out a trimming operation. In the second I hoped to retain the share, but not at any cost, so the stop loss was chosen on a "enough is enough" basis.

Hope this explains the limited way in which I apply stop losses.

Arb.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » March 16th, 2018, 1:33 pm

absolutezero wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:If I and a hypothetical twin of mine are in identical financial circumstances, including identical share portfolios, and the only difference between us is the historical one that we paid different amounts for our holdings of IMB (or any other share), how can selling it be the right financial decision for one of us and the wrong financial decision for the other?

I know about the blind 'capital doesn't matter' and 'it's purely about income' sentiment on anything to do with HYP, but that's a nonsense statement if taken to it's extreme. CLLN, anybody?

And that's nonsense as a response to what I said, because I didn't say 'capital doesn't matter' or 'it's purely about income'. I asked a question about two people having identical shareholdings and in identical financial circumstances, which you've completely failed to answer with your reply. If you want to post about people who say 'capital doesn't matter' or 'it's purely about income', that's absolutely no problem as far as I'm concerned. But please do so either by not replying to anyone specific at all, or by replying to someone who has actually said those things!

In fact, I agree that capital does matter - my take on the question is that capital does matter, but (a) paying attention to capital fluctuations is not an effective way of looking after capital; (b) current buy/don't buy and sell/don't sell decisions should be about what the company's future prospects are; (c) the company's past financial performance record is relevant to that as an indication of how easy it is to make money in its area of business and how good it is at making money from that area of business; (d) but my past performance record as an investor is not relevant to that - which doesn't mean that it's irrelevant to me, just that its relevance to me is that I can try to see what lessons I can learn from it, not that it indicates anything about the company's future prospects.

So to return to the question I did ask, imagine as a hypothetical example that you and I each have a holding of 1000 BHP Billiton shares, currently worth about £14.4k. Also imagine that our total wealth levels and financial needs and desires are the same, so a holding of that size presents each of us with the same level of risk, and that level of risk is neither huge nor tiny. The only difference is that I bought my holding in early 2011 and paid about £26k for it, so am standing on about a 45% capital loss, and you bought yours in early 2016 and paid about £6k for it, so are standing on about a 140% capital gain. And finally, imagine that the question we're both currently wondering about is "Should I sell now?".

Should our answers to that question be different? I'd suggest that as long as we agree about the future prospects for the company and there aren't personal-preference reasons (e.g. some people have ethical objections to investing in miners), they shouldn't. And that whatever company history is relevant to your assessment of the company's future prospects should also be relevant to mine, and vice versa. If we take the different prices at which we bought into account when answering that question, I'm basically saying the company's performance over the 5-year period 2011-2015 is more relevant to its future prospects than you are saying it is. And what is certainly true is that if we both answer that question the same way, we will both experience exactly the same future financial effects from the company's financial performance until we actually make different buying or selling decisions - either none at all if we both decide to sell, or whatever those effects turn out to be on a 1000-share holding(which could be either negative or positive) if we both decide not to.

For other questions such "Was buying when I did an avoidable mistake, and if so, how could I have avoided it?", our different purchase prices are most certainly relevant - you have a clear "No" answer, I have an answer that basically starts "It certainly turned out to be a mistake, so I'd better check out plausible-looking methods of avoiding it" and continues by checking out those methods I can think of, looking at each to see what shares it would have caused me to sell and whether I would have gained or lost overall by using it.

Gengulphus

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » March 16th, 2018, 5:50 pm

absolutezero wrote:
vrdiver wrote:I think Gengulphus posted earlier that within his own portfolio the majority of shares have suffered market swings of -25% or so.

It's this bit here. I think G meant 25% swings from peak price (I may be wrong).
I'm talking about a 25% drop from your entry price - which may or may not be peak.

That's a reasonable point, but it's not well-defined, because I generally have multiple entry prices. E.g. for BHP Billiton, I have 23 different entry prices between 2007 and 2017, ranging from 1001.39p to 2258.49p... (That's partly because my HYP generates enough dividends to make fairly frequent top-ups to reinvest surplus dividend income cost-effective and partly because it's split across multiple accounts - quite possibly too many, but at least three are well-justified, for ISA, SIPP and unsheltered holdings.)

One could of course go for average entry price, which on a (total purchase cost)/(total number of shares purchased) basis is 1399.42p. But that's not all that well-defined either, because for holdings I've top-sliced at some stage there's the issue of which purchases' shares were sold and so should have their particular purchase costs removed from the calculation. For BHP Billiton, that happens not to be an issue, as I've only top-sliced once and that was very early on, when there was only one purchase it could have come from, but it most certainly would be an issue for many of my other holdings... It would in any case be quite a lot of work to calculate it, far more than is justified for a quick across-the-board sweep through the portfolio. (I'm certain about that being a lot of work because CGT calculations require all but the final division of such calculations to be done for a particular usually-sensible-but-occasionally-downright-odd way of matching sales up to buys. So I've had to do almost all the work for the unsheltered part of my portfolio only - and based on experience of that, I'm extremely unlikely to voluntarily extend it to the ISA and SIPP parts as well!)

In the case of BHP Billiton, the fall down to a price of about 600p near the start of 2016 would of course have triggered a 25% stop-loss sale of all previous purchases regardless, as it's over 25% below every single purchase price of mine (and of course therefore also over 25% below any sensibly-calculated average purchase price). That is of course due to it having fallen a lot more than 25%, and it's certainly one of the biggest fallers I've had in the last five years (it might well only be beaten by Carilllion...). But a good number of other shares fell by enough more than 25% that if my average purchase price were a bit less than their average price for the last five years (as BHP Billiton's is, and as expected because my purchases will be biased towards the times they had lower prices and hence higher yields), they would still have fallen more than 25% from their average purchase price.

So anyway, as I said it's a reasonable point you've made there, and I agree that the data I supplied about my own HYP is about falls of 25% from the peak share price - which is actually a reasonably common type of stop-loss order (*), sometimes known as a "trailing stop-loss". So I'll revise what I said to saying that IMHO and based on the evidence of my own HYP, 25% trailing stop-losses aren't in general compatible with HYP share strategies (or other LTBH share strategies) because they result in far-too-frequent sales. I would expect 25% below-purchase-price stop-losses to result in significantly less frequent sales (since a HYP would have to be incredibly unlucky to have always bought at or near the share price peaks) and so at least come a lot closer to being compatible with HYP strategies. On the basis of the very high proportion of holdings (84%) that fell more than 25% from peak, whether it would actually reach compatibility with them looks doubtful to me, but for the reasons explained above, I have no sensible way to provide solid data about that.

I would however say that I think using 25% below-purchase-price stop-losses on a HYP held for the long term ends up having what I can only describe as a very odd attitude towards capital. For example, look at what they would say if they started being used on HYP1 as shown in pyad's 17-year report in November, and in particular what they would say if applied to the Rio Tinto and Land Securities holdings, which I've chosen as two of its comparatively few holdings that haven't had the question of what the purchase price actually is messed up by being replacement shares on takeovers or having the proceeds of capital returns by other holdings reinvested in them. Both therefore have a £5,000 purchase cost and so would have such a stop-loss set at a value of £3,750. So if Rio Tinto were to suffer a major price fall, the stop-loss wouldn't kick in until the fall had taken £19,046-£3,750 = £15,296 off the portfolio's capital value of £172,485, which is 8.87% of that value, but if Land Securities was the share suffering the major price fall, the stop-loss would kick in at the point that it had taken £6,321-£3,750 = £2,571 off that value, or 1.49% of it. I.e. that stop-loss policy would allow Rio Tinto to inflict over five times as much damage on the portfolio's capital value that it permits Land Securities to inflict...

(*) With the proviso that a trailing stop-loss doesn't look at peaks before the holding's first purchase.

Gengulphus

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”