Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

De la Rue profits warning

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

De la Rue profits warning

Postby Bouleversee » March 21st, 2018, 9:50 pm

The buying opportunities are coming thick and fast. Are any others strategically ignorant enough still to hold De la Rue, which has announced, in the middle of a profits warning, that its CFO is departing "to pursue his career outside of the company" . The share price fell dramatically and is now back to what it was 5 yrs ago, with a p/e of 12.82 and yield of 5.18%. I inherited some of these from my husband, worth very little now. JP Morgan Cazenove are recommending overweight, with a target of 700p. Am debating whether to top up or whether it would be throwing good money after bad. I seem to remember seeing it mentioned on the HYP board years ago but not sure whether it would be considered a HYP candidate; how choosy can we be these days?

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: De la Rue profits warning

Postby monabri » March 21st, 2018, 10:28 pm

Bouleversee wrote:The buying opportunities are coming thick and fast. Are any others strategically ignorant enough still to hold De la Rue, which has announced, in the middle of a profits warning, that its CFO is departing "to pursue his career outside of the company" . The share price fell dramatically and is now back to what it was 5 yrs ago, with a p/e of 12.82 and yield of 5.18%. I inherited some of these from my husband, worth very little now. JP Morgan Cazenove are recommending overweight, with a target of 700p. Am debating whether to top up or whether it would be throwing good money after bad. I seem to remember seeing it mentioned on the HYP board years ago but not sure whether it would be considered a HYP candidate; how choosy can we be these days?

Definitely not a buy...not even remotely.

Negative equity ( liabilities exceed assets) and falling revenues.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » March 21st, 2018, 11:10 pm

Thaks, Mon. I must say they have never appealed to me in the past. I wonder why they are being recommended with a t.p. of 700p.
Let's see who the new chap is and how he shapes up.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 22nd, 2018, 6:34 pm

They seem to be adopting the Ryanair strategy: very publicly throw toys out of the pram when crossed.

Give us licence to name our price in taxpayers money!

robbelg
Lemon Slice

Postby robbelg » March 23rd, 2018, 12:24 pm

It might well work.

There's a lot of angry voices about the passport contract going abroad, I think there's a good chance that DLAR will end up with the contract.

Competitive bidding can be overruled by "National Security"

Rob

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 23rd, 2018, 12:56 pm

Can you imagine the French giving such a contract to the Brits?

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » March 23rd, 2018, 1:05 pm

DLAR print security paper (passports, banknotes) for a lot of countries, so claiming that the UK should keep it in house rather goes against what most of their customers do. It's a poor argument at best, when you consider that companies involved in security products (arms, money, passports, surveillance) many of them British, only exist by selling to foreigners, the idea that a government shouldn't purchase from abroad falls at the first hurdle.

My last recollection of DLAR hitting the news was something about making a mess of some Indian notes? Seems like they are not quite the "best in class" and have been treated as such (neither cheapest nor most reliable).

VRD

ayshfm1
Lemon Slice

Postby ayshfm1 » March 23rd, 2018, 1:13 pm

I don't know the detail of the passport case but I do have some experience of business in France. It is not a level playing field, I see no reason why we should play fair.

As members of the EU we were an easy mark, we followed the rules they ignored them. I saw countless examples working for a French firm. One of the worst - many UK people sent in job applications for jobs that had been designated for French people only, they didn't know it but they were wasting their time. Totally illegal under EU rules, known about and ignored.

Post the EU we should finally be free to reciprocate.

Still enough anti EU ranting, UK passports should be produced by a UK firm, we need to control completely their production, that they might not is likely down to a pro EU civil servants causing mischief. Again I've been involved in enough procurement exercises to know that the "winner" can be selected by simply adjusting the weightings. In this case applying proper weighting to national security would have done the trick.

In fact as far as "rules" are concerned in business - "There is no spoon".

(Disclosure) I hold DLAR it's been a woeful investment

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » March 23rd, 2018, 1:58 pm

I also hold so would have liked them to get the contract. From a security point of view, however, I have heard that the relevant bits will continue to be produced here; also that at the moment some of the components are produced abroad. What I'd like to know is how the French can fulfil the contract, whatever that entails, for £50m less than De la Rue's quote or is that a fleabite in this context? Perhaps the Government should have given De la Rue an opportunity to match the French quote though I suppose that would be against the rules. I wonder what the contract covers and what the total cost is.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 23rd, 2018, 2:02 pm

ayshfm1 wrote:I don't know the detail of the passport case but I do have some experience of business in France. It is not a level playing field, I see no reason why we should play fair.

As members of the EU we were an easy mark, we followed the rules they ignored them. I saw countless examples working for a French firm. One of the worst - many UK people sent in job applications for jobs that had been designated for French people only, they didn't know it but they were wasting their time. Totally illegal under EU rules, known about and ignored.

Post the EU we should finally be free to reciprocate.

Still enough anti EU ranting, UK passports should be produced by a UK firm, we need to control completely their production, that they might not is likely down to a pro EU civil servants causing mischief. Again I've been involved in enough procurement exercises to know that the "winner" can be selected by simply adjusting the weightings. In this case applying proper weighting to national security would have done the trick.

In fact as far as "rules" are concerned in business - "There is no spoon".
G
(Disclosure) I hold DLAR it's been a woeful investment

I used to work for a Anglo-French company..a 50:50 alliance supposedly...with 8 French directors and a solitary Brit.
As for rules....they could get away with things (exports to "other countries" shall we say) that we were simply not allowed to do.

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » March 23rd, 2018, 2:08 pm

robbelg wrote:It might well work.

There's a lot of angry voices about the passport contract going abroad, I think there's a good chance that DLAR will end up with the contract.

Competitive bidding can be overruled by "National Security"

Rob

I suspect this is probably what will happen.

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » March 23rd, 2018, 2:09 pm

ayshfm1 wrote:I don't know the detail of the passport case but I do have some experience of business in France. It is not a level playing field, I see no reason why we should play fair.

The problem is, the British are a sporting nation so we play by the rules.
Silly us.

ayshfm1
Lemon Slice

Postby ayshfm1 » March 23rd, 2018, 2:11 pm

Mine was solidly French and regarded by the French state as economically important for the area. When it got into financial difficulties it received a state bailout, which was again illegal under EU rules. However no one batted an eyelid.

You learned fast how the game was played.

It's not that I disliked the EU quite the contrary to be honest I just wished the civil servants in Whitehall would play the same game their French opposite numbers were in the Palais de l'Elysée. Sadly they never learned.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 23rd, 2018, 2:35 pm

ayshfm1 wrote:I ... I've been involved in enough procurement exercises to know that the "winner" can be selected by simply adjusting the weightings. In this case applying proper weighting to national security would have done the trick.

t

Ah yes, very true.
Alter the subjective scores and weightings until the answer you wanted at the start pops out...and it's demonstrably fair and balanced!
Only useful for eliminating bids where a basic 'tick box/must have' requirement isn't present. The rest is bovine ordure

westmoreland
2 Lemon pips

Postby westmoreland » March 23rd, 2018, 2:49 pm

i don't like companies that have to bid for work - it's a weak business model unless their expertise / offering is valued higher than rivals.

sustainability of the dividend is important in protecting downside when a business goes through rough patches. from 2013-15 the dividend was not covered by free cash flow, and has only just been covered in the last 2 years. any further trouble and the dividend is in trouble IMO.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » April 18th, 2018, 8:45 am

Well, today's RNS tells us that De La Rue won't be appealing the passport tender.

Share price is down 5% as I write.
Full year revenue for the Group is expected to increase by c6% year on year, with growth across all product lines. Full year underlying operating profit is anticipated to be in the low to mid £60s million range, reflecting the write off of the c£4m bid costs related to the UK passport tender and delays in the shipment of certain contracts in the last week of the period.

At this early stage of the new financial year, the Group is cautious about the outturn for the full year, however starts off with a satisfactory order book underpinned by 16% growth in total order intake driven by strong growth in Identity Solutions and Product Authentication.

The paper transaction announced on 1 February was completed on 30 March 2018. This has strengthened the Group's balance sheet, with net debt significantly reduced to c£55m as at 31 March 2018.

Further to the announcement on 22 March 2018 and having considered all options, the Group today announces it will not appeal against HMPO's decision on the UK passport tender. De La Rue will continue to fulfil its existing contract and assist with transition to the new supplier and is therefore expecting no impact on the Group's performance in the next 18 months.

VRD

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » April 18th, 2018, 12:52 pm

vrdiver wrote:Well, today's RNS tells us that De La Rue won't be appealing the passport tender.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/de-la-rue ... 00042463L/

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » April 18th, 2018, 2:10 pm

My favourite April Fool's joke this year:

The EU commission did a press release on the morning of April 1st to announce that all EU passports would be switching from burgundy to Royal Blue....

westmoreland
2 Lemon pips

Postby westmoreland » April 18th, 2018, 6:29 pm

the pension deficit alone is £189m - equal to about 7 years of their free cash flow.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » April 18th, 2018, 6:39 pm

According to City AM, Woodford-backed Crystal Amber has increased its stake in De la Rue so perhaps we shouldn't rush to sell at this juncture.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”