Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

De la Rue profits warning

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
carioca

Re: De la Rue profits warning

Postby carioca » April 19th, 2018, 3:24 pm

Although this is slightly off topic, I can't resist offering a story from Brazil in reply to some of the comments in this thread.
Some time last year, the news was going through the media that the Brazilian authorities were unable to issue new passports. The reason was that the special paper used for the passports came from a foreign supplier (I don't remember which country) who had refused to make any further shipments until the outstanding bills for previous shipments had been settled in full.
I can't say whether the Brazilians paid, or if they came to some other arrangement with the supplier, but the shipments resumed soon after. It took roughly a month until they could issue new passports, and about three months for things to return to their normal rhythm.

Depending on from which angle you look at the story, you might say "It is inadmissible that some foreign git should be able to hold the Brazilian government to ransom over such an important matter as issuing passports to its citizens." In that case you might conclude that no material and no service for producing passports must come from an overseas source.
Or you could ask if the situation would not have been the same with a local supplier. You could ask if a Brazilian firm would have kept furnishing paper without ever getting paid. You could conclude that the management of the supplier relationship was inadequate for such an important product.
I believe the same can be said about the relationship with the so-called EU bureaucrats.

Disclosure: I do hot hold De La Rue shares or a UK passport

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » April 19th, 2018, 3:54 pm

Disclosure: I do hold De la Rue shares and my UK passport expired some years ago. I didn't get around to renewing it as there was no prospect of travelling abroad in the foreseeable future. Now I would like to do so; I hope I don't run into any problems and had better get on with it pdq, I see it is now very expensive. I suppose I will have to make do with another red one.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » April 19th, 2018, 5:11 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Disclosure: I do hold De la Rue shares and my UK passport expired some years ago. I didn't get around to renewing it ... Now I would like to do so; I hope I don't run into any problems and had better get on with it pdq...

Disclosure: I hold De La Rue too, so to help them stay afloat I've just applied to renew a passport that expired before the turn of the century :) It was easy to do online. See this thread....
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11196#p132389

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » April 19th, 2018, 5:44 pm

Thanks, Bree. Mine expired in August 2010. I may see you on the other board.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”